Philanfd Castile One Year Later

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Philanfd Castile One Year Later

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:41 am

So this is the one year anniversary of the incident. What have we learned in the last year?

I heard on the radio this morning that a Memorial Scholarship Fund is in the process of being established and that the first recipient has been named. He will get $5000 for post secondary education costs. Funny thing is, they are relying on donations to fund the Scholarship - their goal is to raise $100,000 to create an endowment to fund future Scholarships. Wasn't there $3M award given out that could fund the $100K and more if there was a strong desire to make this a true legacy.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Philanfd Castile One Year Later

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 am

The lawyers got 1-1.5M of the original 3M, so you know that <2M doesn't go that far. :roll:
FJ540

Postby xd ED on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 am

yukonjasper wrote:So this is the one year anniversary of the incident. What have we learned in the last year?

I heard on the radio this morning that a Memorial Scholarship Fund is in the process of being established and that the first recipient has been named. He will get $5000 for post secondary education costs. Funny thing is, they are relying on donations to fund the Scholarship - their goal is to raise $100,000 to create an endowment to fund future Scholarships. Wasn't there $3M award given out that could fund the $100K and more if there was a strong desire to make this a true legacy.

The $5000 scholarship bubbled up in the media about the time of the criminal trial, when the 1st recipient was named. Aparently it was started by Central High Alumni last August
I think it is completely separate (and likely more legit) from any plans for whatever remains of the civil judgement, after lawyer's fees, and . . . admin expenses.
I suspect the civil settlement will focus on more lofty, esoteric (and less accountable) missions such as ending racial disparity, and whirled peas.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:18 pm

LoL

Does the recipient need to be a pot user?
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:59 pm

I read this morning that the judge wrote a letter to the jurors (very unusual) commending their decision. Sorry, I don't have the link but it can be googled.
Randygmn

Postby jdege on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Randygmn wrote:I read this morning that the judge wrote a letter to the jurors (very unusual) commending their decision. Sorry, I don't have the link but it can be googled.

If he was commending their decision, it was clearly improper. But if he was commending them for reaching a decision, instead of remaining hung, that was only appropriate.
jdege

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Not really what I'd expect out of the Star and Sickle. Seems like a fair accounting of the intent of the Judge and places him in a positive light all the way to the end. Did someone turn the A/C on in hell?

http://www.startribune.com/judge-pens-l ... 432354143/
FJ540

Postby Rodentman on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:15 pm

I think it was an inspired gesture for the judge to write a letter to the jury. Sure it was unusual, but it was an unusually emotional charged case. It helped to defuse the political covféfé surrounding the acquittal.
Rodentman

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:13 pm

I doubt it is unusual for a judge to issue a letter, especially after such a case. Heck, I received one forme the judge after I served and that was only a civil case.
Holland&Holland

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:48 pm

I inadvertently went past a vigil at the scene tonight on my way to fetch my family from the airport. Might have been 150 people there, and there was a state trooper parked not too far away (which caught my attention just prior to encountering the candled people).

As such, we avoided the whole down-town area all together when coming home. No one's blocked Hwy 100 yet, so that was a safe bet. :)
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:31 pm

FJ540

Postby Ghost on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:05 am

Great, now gov drug wants to retrain police. How about retrain citizens on how to not get stopped while high, packing and unable to follow directions?
Ghost

Postby usnret on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:15 am

Does anyone really care anymore?
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:24 am

usnret wrote:Does anyone really care anymore?

We are forced to care. It is no longer acceptable to merely tolerate others and live in harmony. We are forced to prove our tolerance by having to actimely celebrate and demonstrate our support. Divergence of opinion and lifestyle is only acceptable if it is a liberal viewpoint. The media as an arm of the Liberal propaganda machine, reinforces this expectation hourly. You must submit ,you aren't allowed to not care.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby hammAR on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:00 pm

yukonjasper wrote:We are forced to care. ........ You must submit,you aren't allowed to not care.

I MUST - Like hell I will............ :hammer:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Next

Return to In The News