Europe’s first constitutionally protected right to bear arms

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Europe’s first constitutionally protected right to bear arms

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:39 am

This nation is set to approve Europe’s first constitutionally protected right to bear arms
http://gunmartblog.com/2017/07/07/nation-set-approve-europes-first-constitutionally-protected-right-bear-arms/
On Thursday, the Czech Republic’s lower house of parliament approved a constitutional amendment that would enshrine the right to bear arms. One hundred and thirty-nine out of 200 MPs approved the change after it was suggested by interior minister Milan Chovanec who asked the houses of parliament to “show [him] a single terrorist attack in Europe perpetrated using a legally owned weapon.” The move is a reply to the violent and numerous terror attacks that have been sweeping Europe since 2015.
jdege

Re: Europe’s first constitutionally protected right to bear arms

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:23 pm

It will be interesting to see if other countries will follow suit, if this passes. I think the populist opinion is shifting from the utopian one world view to a more nationalistic tone of self preservation - time will tell if the sentiment and the movement are too late for Europe to change the current trajectory. Clearly the terrorism threat is manifesting itself all over the place with increased frequency and beginning to wake people up.

The Ann Coulter piece posted earlier today by another member here regarding the "Doctor" who went on the shooting spree in NY was very telling of how the European media has traditionally treated similar stories.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Perhaps not coincidental to this action, is the fact that the Czeska Zbrojovka (Czechoslovak Armament Works) aka CZ manufacturing facility in the Czech Republic is the largest small arms factory in the world.
Not to mention these people existed between a rock and a hard place for most of the 20th century.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby 2in2out on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Are they a member of the EU? I would assume not.

This is a good thing, even if the vote goes in the wrong direction.Europe is getting a lot of attention due to terrorism in the last few years, and I think there will be more discussion like this in other countries.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby atomic41 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Poland encourages people to arm up. Also, aren't the Swiss required to keep a military grade rifle in the home?
atomic41

Postby jdege on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:04 pm

2in2out wrote:Are they a member of the EU? I would assume not.

This is a good thing, even if the vote goes in the wrong direction.Europe is getting a lot of attention due to terrorism in the last few years, and I think there will be more discussion like this in other countries.

They are a member of the EU, and they are doing this to back up their refusal to implement a ban on semi-automatic weapons.
jdege

Return to In The News