Australian woman shot dead by Minneapolis police after calli

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Australian woman shot dead by Minneapolis police after calli

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 pm

xd ED wrote:
dcwn.45 wrote:
FJ540 wrote:
Or maybe the muslim was getting aroused and had to stop the sin?

We don't know what her jammies looked like, do we?

You are an *******, get off my side!

Can anyone honestly state that while trying to sort this out, FJ540's sentiment didn't, at some point, cross their mind when they heard the cop was a muslim?

Yes, I can,say that this thought never crossed my mind.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby FJ540 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Not really a joke. Just can't think of any other remotely plausible reason for someone to shoot this woman.

Still holding out for the dash cam audio, but I don't believe it'll give the officer any justification for this seemingly blatant violent act.
FJ540

Postby xd ED on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 am

Given the amount of information currently available, I don't have any firm opinion about why this woman was shot. But when trying to make sense of it, hearing the shooter was a muslim gave rise to possibilities that hadn't previously occurred.

Whatever the cause, there are things about events surrounding the incident that are hard to understand; the long response time, 2 rookies together, 3 cameras in the vehicle, and none in operation - even though Noor had is pistol out, which, per policy would dictate turning on the body cam (as I understand the body camera system, they are constantly capturing/ recording and will store the previous 30 seconds once activated by the officer) ...even the junior of the two driving seems odd to me.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby gbono23 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 am

Here's the headline from one news source, "cop says he shot Justine Damond because he was 'startled' by her when she ran towards his car in the dark after loud noise - and had no idea she was 911 caller" and he is now playing the race card. In the article is states, "'He feels like he is being thrown under the bus and his colleagues are accusing him of not showing proper police conduct on Saturday night. 'His feeling is 'I am an immigrant, a Muslim and not white... but that is OK as I know the Somalian community and friends will support me.'

This is one weird case, and I don't think it will end well for him.
gbono23

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:54 am

It isn't going to end well for anyone. There is no good outcome here. If he gets off, people will be pissed, if he gets convicted people will be pissed. It is interesting that the BLM and other groups don't seem to be as interested in this example of "Out of Control Police" - the bias is so transparent that it is laughable. Their heads must be exploding on which way to go on this one. Are they able to criticize a person of color who is also a Muslim and is also an immigrant who shot a defenseless non-minority in an apparent lapse of judgment contrary to any safe gun handling training he has ever had?

It is interesting how the court of public opinion is attempting to be manipulated.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:56 am

It will be interesting to see if people actually go to "she deserved it" by her actions, which is the only thing that could possibly be said in his defense. Talk about "blaming the victim".
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 am

- They had their pistols in their laps as the drove down the alley

- They hear some fireworks and think they've been ambushed

- Mo sees somebody running towards the squad and makes the worst mistake of his life. The squad lights are off but the alley lights are on. He should have been able to see who he was shooting at

I'm still not rushing to judgement. There is plenty of time to do that. But ...

Why no bodycam activation? If they thought they needed to draw their pistols, they should have had them on. And why drive down the alley, alerting a possible perp and putting themselves in a more dangerous situation? Shouldn't they have walked? Not sure if that is SOP or just lazy
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:29 pm

[quote="Squib Joe
Why no bodycam activation? If they thought they needed to draw their pistols, they should have had them on. And why drive down the alley, alerting a possible perp and putting themselves in a more dangerous situation? Shouldn't they have walked? Not sure if that is SOP or just lazy[/quote]
Or they are scared shytless and felt some form of security in the cruiser. I agree, without more information its tough to figure out the why of what happened, but I think we have a pretty clear picture of what happened. Self preservation is the only thing that I think is strong enough to make you do so many things wrong.

Training and psychological screening definitely seems to be poor or non-existent. Situational training and stress training don't appear to be part of the training regimen or at least not enough of the program to get good results . Are the programs these people are graduating from responsible for any of this training? Is it all on the individual city to provide the training? Has the Peace Officers Union affected the processes in the training, not allowing people to be dismissed or fired if they don't perform - have budget constraints eliminated what appears to be critical training - has the rush to involve minority officers from diverse backgrounds resulted in badging people just to get them on the streets and show superiors and the community how "diverse" the Force is - is there enough of a struggle to fill the ranks that the Cities are taking anyone who applies? These are some of the bigger questions that I doubt anyone is really talking about - too many sacred cows out there and heck, you can just settle the complaints with tax payer money and have a built in excuse for not providing the training to stop the cycle - we don't have any money.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:53 pm

The guy had his gun drawn and was startled by the "loud noise", resulting in a negligent discharge. Could just as easily, probably more easily, have been his partner. I'll bet that guy is just shaking his head at bonus that fate just handed him.
Last edited by Hmac on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hmac

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Nothing like jumping to conclusions without all the evidence. Why don't you go shut down a freeway? Seems to be the thing to do when you have a point you want to make these days.

My guess is you thought yanez (what ever his name is) was totally innocent. If this happened to your wife or daughter, your tone would be allot different.
PD took there time responding. My guess is to come up with a good excuse to cover this up. Sorry but afaiac, the cop screwed up and shot an innocent person. The cover up will be interesting. But as I stated before, tax payers will pay the law suit as usual.
Bearcatrp

Postby jdege on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Nothing like jumping to conclusions without all the evidence. Why don't you go shut down a freeway? Seems to be the thing to do when you have a point you want to make these days.

My guess is you thought yanez (what ever his name is) was totally innocent. If this happened to your wife or daughter, your tone would be allot different.
PD took there time responding. My guess is to come up with a good excuse to cover this up. Sorry but afaiac, the cop screwed up and shot an innocent person. The cover up will be interesting. But as I stated before, tax payers will pay the law suit as usual.

I don't know anyone who thought Yanez was totally innocent.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Hmac wrote:The guy had his gun drawn and was startled by the "loud noise", resulting in a negligent discharge. Could just as easily, probably more easily, have been his partner. I'll bet that guy is just shaking his head at bonus that fate just handed him.

Did he only shoot once?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:

Boy you have lots of guesses don't you.
Holland&Holland

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 am

Ghost wrote:
Hmac wrote:The guy had his gun drawn and was startled by the "loud noise", resulting in a negligent discharge. Could just as easily, probably more easily, have been his partner. I'll bet that guy is just shaking his head at bonus that fate just handed him.

Did he only shoot once?

That is my understanding.
Jack's My dog

Postby Hmac on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Hmac

PreviousNext

Return to In The News