Inver Grove Heights robbery thwarted by Permit Holder.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Inver Grove Heights robbery thwarted by Permit Holder.

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:18 am

While MN is an At Will state, workers still have a few avenues. Sex, race, religion, age discrimination can all be ways to sue an employer. Proving some of these might be a challenge.

As a worker, you also have the option of Arbitration. It would be conducted by a member of the National Mediation and Arbitration Boards. Those that choose this process, will be required to cover 50% of the cost of the Arbitrator, as well as other associated expenses. I've dealt with many cases in arbitration being a past union representative for the IAMAW. The process for an individual, is quite simlar, and you don't have to be in a "unionized shop", to file for an arbitration case.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby hammAR on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 am

BigDog58 wrote:While MN is an At Will state, workers still have a few avenues..................

While that is true, MN courts have historically been strong advocates of supporting Employers Condition of Employment........and there is very little recourse. If it reads like the following, BOHICA!

Subpart A. Employees.

Prohibition. Employees are prohibited from possessing or carrying a firearm while acting in the course and scope of their employment, either on or off system property, regardless of whether the employee has a permit to carry a firearm, except as otherwise provided in this policy.

Violations. Violations of this policy by employees are misconduct subject to discipline, up to and including expulsion or termination.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby BigBlue on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 am

Rodentman wrote:The employers I have had here told us that our employment can be ended at any time, just as we can resign at any time. Usually they couch it in terms of a Reduction in Force, but a simple "your services are no longer required" often occurs.

I have but 10 days of work until retirement, which is their decision. I am happy to accept.

Though I do understand things the same as you describe, I've seen many situations in recent years where a MN employer wanted to rid themselves of a problem employee and either had a significant challenge documenting the issues as a track record long enough to finally 'justify' it or just gave up and lived with the dead weight because the burden was too great to take the risk of legal action. I don't know if these issues were self-imposed by their own HR/legal departments or not, but they were clearly worried about covering their butts from a lawsuit. So apparently 'at will' isn't quite as cut and dried as it sounds.

BB
BigBlue

Postby crbutler on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:04 pm

MN is an at will state, but the employer can be sued for unlawful termination, and the gun issue would be one that could or meet that criteria as it has some protection under current law, unless the employer has a policy and the employee was informed of it.

So the employee at the store is either in violation of a prexisting policy, and could be fired for that... or if they want him gone, they will give him the death of a thousand cuts and create a paper trail to do so.

I kind of doubt it will go that far though, if they not want him there, most of the time folks can and do find a different employer as soon as they discover there is a poor work environment there.
crbutler

Postby ttousi on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:34 pm

MN is an at will state, but the employer can be sued for unlawful termination

yup
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Inver Grove Heights robbery thwarted by Permit Holder.

Postby INOR on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:30 pm

New development. It seems somebody in the Chinese restaurant next door was grazed by a stray bullet. Haven't determined yet if it came from perpetrator or clerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby INOR on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:12 am

INOR

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:57 pm

INOR wrote:New updates after charges filed.

http://www.startribune.com/charges-cler ... 442040953/

How did a felon pass the background check?
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm sure the Felon was just about to turn his life around and start living right..................

Still have no idea what the allure was to rob a cell phone store. I guess cell phone are expensive, but don't they record the serial numbers so any attempt to activate them would be unsuccessful? I suppose there are enough Craigslist buyers that won't know they are stolen until after the sale.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby BigBlue on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:50 am

yukonjasper wrote:I'm sure the Felon was just about to turn his life around and start living right..................

Still have no idea what the allure was to rob a cell phone store. I guess cell phone are expensive, but don't they record the serial numbers so any attempt to activate them would be unsuccessful? I suppose there are enough Craigslist buyers that won't know they are stolen until after the sale.

They are only invalidated or locked out of the network that actually owned/sold them, and possibly any others they have some type of mutual agreement with. But I'm sure the phones are able to be brought to other countries where Verizon isn't a player and can be made to work there. I doubt that the thieves would try to sell them here in the US on CL or eBay.

BB
BigBlue

Previous

Return to In The News