Inver Grove Heights robbery thwarted by Permit Holder.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:16 pm

[url]http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/08/17/inver-grove-heights-polic
I'me//[url]
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Inver Grove Heights police say it is a rare to have a store robbery in their city — let alone in broad day light.

ADVERTISING

“This is the first time I’ve heard of our store being robbed like this at gunpoint,” said Inver Grove Heights Police Lt. Joshua Otis.

Police say two men, one of them armed, went into a Verizon store on Cahill Avenue around 11 a.m. Thursday.

But as one suspect held the store clerk at gunpoint, the clerk pulled out his own gun.

(credit: CBS)

“At this point we believe some shots were fired by the clerk,” Lt. Otis said.

After an exchange of gunfire, the armed suspect was shot multiple times.

Nancy Brown was at the dentist next door to the Verizon when the shooting happened.

“It was just kind of a ‘boom-boom!'” Brown said. “The assistant said, ‘That’s gun shots!’ The dentist said, ‘No, it can’t be!’ Then within five minutes the police were at the door telling us to lock up.”

Police say the employee had a permit to carry and was not harmed. They will be reviewing surveillance video to determine exactly what happened.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Inver Grove Heights robbery thwarted by Permit Holder.

Postby Ghost on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Nice job whomever the shooter was.

Why would you rob a Verizon? It's not like they have a lot of cash and the phones would all be traceable.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Agreed. Seems odd that they'd try to knock off a Verizon store. Just goes to show you that it can happen anywhere. Will be interesting to see what the story is on this one. Wonder if any video will be released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby dismal on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:12 am

Cell phone stores do get robbed frequently, one in Roch got cleaned out by an armed gang during the day a few years back. Based on the reports, it sounds like they travel around. The guess is that they sell the phones outside the US.
dismal

Postby Ghost on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:54 am

Cleaner method

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/articles/17238213/watch_man_buys_suitcase_loaded_with_24k_in_stolen.amp

Shorty before 1 a.m. on Oct. 1, police said he entered the store on South Black Horse Pike in Williamstown and headed for the luggage department.

He removed a small suitcase from a shelf and strolled to the electronics department, where he walked behind an unoccupied sales counter, broke a glass cabinet door and removed 32 iPhones.

He placed the phones, including 5s, 6 and 6 Plus models, in the suitcase and headed for self-checkout.

He purchased the suitcase containing the phones and left the store.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:53 am

I would bet he didn't use a credit card or a check..................or did he..................?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am

yukonjasper wrote:I would bet he didn't use a credit card or a check..................or did he..................?

Article says he paid with cash
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 am

Do they make a "robbers shot" silhouette you can stencil on the front door? :P
Lumpy

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:48 am

I am just curious but seems like every media outlet is playing the "legal Permit Holder" issue as if it had anything thing to do with the incident. Employee was in his place of business - no permit needed! See bad guy - shoot same, go home !!!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby westhope on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Agree with "Wasfuzz".

Police say the employee had a permit to carry and was not harmed.

Are police allowed to give out information which is not available to the general public?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby INOR on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Betcha anything the permit holder loses his job. Liability issue for the company to have employees carrying. Not right, but bet that'll happen.

INOR

Postby Ghost on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 pm

INOR wrote:Betcha anything the permit holder loses his job. Liability issue for the company to have employees carrying. Not right, but bet that'll happen.

Probably depends on if they had rules against having one. If they didn't then I'd like to see a wrongful termination suit for shooting a guy who pointed a gun at him. Then a suit against not protecting the workers on their premises.
Ghost

Postby Chunkychuck on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Ghost wrote:
INOR wrote:Betcha anything the permit holder loses his job. Liability issue for the company to have employees carrying. Not right, but bet that'll happen.

Probably depends on if they had rules against having one. If they didn't then I'd like to see a wrongful termination suit for shooting a guy who pointed a gun at him. Then a suit against not protecting the workers on their premises.

I have always understood that Minnesota is an "at will" state which, as it has been explained to me, means an employer does not have to give a reason for firing someone.
Chunkychuck

Postby silvor on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:
Ghost wrote:

I have always understood that Minnesota is an "at will" state which, as it has been explained to me, means an employer does not have to give a reason for firing someone.

In theory, sure, but in real life, well...

And yes I suppose the police saying he has a permit isn't right, but, doesn't that actually help our cause?
silvor

Postby Rodentman on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:08 am

The employers I have had here told us that our employment can be ended at any time, just as we can resign at any time. Usually they couch it in terms of a Reduction in Force, but a simple "your services are no longer required" often occurs.

I have but 10 days of work until retirement, which is their decision. I am happy to accept.
Rodentman

Next

Return to In The News