At least 50 dead, 200 wounded at shooting on Las Vegas Strip

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: At least 50 dead, 200 wounded at shooting on Las Vegas Strip

Postby Scratch on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 am

Sounds to me like a crank-fire... At least on this gun.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=057_1506943742
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby BigBlue on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:45 am

Lumpy wrote:The problem is mass death: anything that every couple of years kills 20-50 or more people at a time makes people more afraid than things that in ones and twos add up to tens of thousands a year. Compare one airliner crash to the yearly toll on our highways for example. That's the whole impetus behind "assault weapon" bans despite handguns being the overwhelming instruments in gun violence. People disproportionately regard these highly visible incidents as intolerable.

You can argue against "Common Sense" gun control that is mostly security theater and would have little effect on actual results. The problem is that if we really did have an Australia/UK level ban on semi-automatics, it would be harder- not impossible, but harder- for these things to happen (at least until anyone can make an illegal M-249 with their 3D printer). And that's as far as most people are willing to see the issue.

Like suicides, people will just switch to a new tool for the job. Heck, this nut job could have just flown one of his two planes into the crowd.
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:21 am

Couple of stray observations on my part:

Here is an article summarizing a lot of info about the situation. While it may be erroneous or premature, it puts a lot of info in one spot. Something I haven't seen elsewhere yet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4944234/Two-23-rifles-inside-Stephen-Paddock-s-room.html

Why does a UK news source get all this info and present it when US news sources seem to withhold so much?

Also, it strikes me as quite interesting (and I'm not a conspiracy nut) that this situation really combines all the elements of things the antis want into one neat package for them to use as fodder in future years. You have multiple "assault" weapons including ARs and AKs. You have a guy with no record who was able to acquire weapons without impediment (which helps them say current laws aren't tight enough). You have "huge" magazines. You have bump-fire stocks and, possibly, a full-auto weapon. You have tannerite being found at his home. You have flash hiders, "scope for accuracy", red dot sights, etc. You have a remote attack venue which means no "gun free zone" would have any effect and lets them say the only way to avoid the issue is to eliminate them all. Plus, they managed to work in the suppressor aspect too, by throwing out "how much worse would this have been if they couldn't hear the gunfire?"

I'm not into conspiracies, but you couldn't serve this up on a silver platter any better for the antis. And to put the cherry on top, you have the victims being a group of country music loving "mostly republican gun nuts" that liberals can easily dehumanize and not get worked up over. Just sayin'...

BB
BigBlue

Postby gbono23 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:49 am

"And to put the cherry on top, you have the victims being a group of country music loving "mostly republican gun nuts" that liberals can easily dehumanize and not get worked up over. Just sayin'" Well one liberal lawyer tried to dehumanize the situation and has been fired. "CBS fires vice president who said Vegas victims didn't deserve sympathy because country music fans 'often are Republican"
gbono23

Postby BigBlue on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:05 am

gbono23 wrote:"And to put the cherry on top, you have the victims being a group of country music loving "mostly republican gun nuts" that liberals can easily dehumanize and not get worked up over. Just sayin'"

Well one liberal lawyer tried to dehumanize the situation and has been fired. "CBS fires vice president who said Vegas victims didn't deserve sympathy because country music fans 'often are Republican"

I know. That's what I'm referencing. Inside the mind of a liberal.
BigBlue

Postby crbutler on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:28 pm

I have stayed at the Mandalay Bay before.

I distinctly recall that having weapons and dangerous devices was listed as being forbidden.

I'm not sure how another ban would have prevented anything.
crbutler

Postby LarryP on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Sadly, I think she's correct about using a silencer
With all the music, commotion etc, Nobody would know where the shots were coming from or even know there were shots. Nobody would be taking cover or running since it would be awhile before people knew what was going on. Shooter would have more time to shoot.

LarryFlew wrote:And what was the Hildebeasts immediate tweet:

“Imagine the deaths if the shooter had a silencer, which the NRA wants to make easier to get.”

She called on​ people to stand up to the National Rifle Association and defeat the bill.​

​”​Our grief isn’t enough. We can and must put politics aside, stand up to the NRA, and work together to try to stop this from happening again​,” the former Democratic presidential nominee wrote.​
LarryP

Postby Ghost on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:54 pm

LarryP wrote:Sadly, I think she's correct about using a silencer
With all the music, commotion etc, Nobody would know where the shots were coming from or even know there were shots. Nobody would be taking cover or running since it would be awhile before people knew what was going on. Shooter would have more time to shoot.

So he was shooting subsonic ammo?
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:07 pm

I disagree.

From what I've seen, he was doing mag dumps into the exit points, i.e. He needed to get folks bunching up into what we called kill zones in the army. He was in effect doing area fire which isn't surprising given his use of bump fire.

No one shoots a full auto shoulder arm or pistol that accurately at 200 yards. Bump fire more so.

A silencer would have no real tactical impact on what he did. It's a low hanging fruit to the antis.

I do suspect those bump fire stocks will get additional scrutiny.
crbutler

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:13 pm

I have always said " country music is bad for your health"
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby usnret on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 pm

crbutler wrote:I disagree.

From what I've seen, he was doing mag dumps into the exit points, i.e. He needed to get folks bunching up into what we called kill zones in the army. He was in effect doing area fire which isn't surprising given his use of bump fire.

No one shoots a full auto shoulder arm or pistol that accurately at 200 yards. Bump fire more so.

A silencer would have no real tactical impact on what he did. It's a low hanging fruit to the antis.

I do suspect those bump fire stocks will get additional scrutiny.

Wasn't it more like 400 to 500 yards?
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby xd ED on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:10 am

usnret wrote:Wasn't it more like 400 to 500 yards?

Saw this on another forum; can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it looks reasonable; the math is correct based on what's stated.
Attachments
Vegas1.jpg
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby INOR on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:32 am

How long do you think it will be before there is a full sale/possession ban on bumpfire stocks, gatlin cranks, and any other trigger mechanisms that speed up cycling of a semi-auto? That'll be the first piece of legislation that will come through because I think everybody is going to be behind that and it could theoretically slide through with little controversy.
INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 am

It is already being talked about heavily on MPR - "common sense" "everyone can agree" Funny thing is, if this guy didn't have guns, he could have used one of his planes and taken out many more people. In the Liberal pants wetter world, there are no random acts, there are only strings of events that just happen to point to the need for more government involvement in our lives, more evidence that we all need to be assigned a government brown shirt to follow us around and stop us from doing anything not approved by the psychologist and the Politbureau. There is no such thing as some random guy doing some random crazy stuff that seemingly cannot be explained. It is curious that it appears that ISIS has attempted to claim responsibility for the attack even though there doesn't seem to be any obvious connection to them.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 am

INOR wrote:How long do you think it will be before there is a full sale/possession ban on bumpfire stocks, gatlin cranks, and any other trigger mechanisms that speed up cycling of a semi-auto? That'll be the first piece of legislation that will come through because I think everybody is going to be behind that and it could theoretically slide through with little controversy.

I don't care for slide fire stocks but I am 100% against a ban or anything making them harder to attain. You must understand it's the person, not the tool.
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to In The News