At least 50 dead, 200 wounded at shooting on Las Vegas Strip

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: At least 50 dead, 200 wounded at shooting on Las Vegas Strip

Postby ttousi on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:35 am

two threads started...use this thread

Other thread locked (viewtopic.php?f=55&t=58880) has another link in it
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Lumpy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 am

The video I saw indicated either full-auto or else very efficient bump firing; do we have more details yet?

If this really was an "assault weapon" attack, the backlash is going to be ugly. If it was full-auto it would be an almost unheard of misuse of them (that will be brought up forever and ever amen). Pre-1986, illegal conversion, or what?

Dayum. :o :( :x :evil:

ETA: I've read speculation that what was used was a semi-automatic with a trigger crank (something I hadn't heard of before).
Lumpy

Postby tullibee on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:02 pm

Lumpy wrote:ETA: I've read speculation that what was used was a semi-automatic with a trigger crank (something I hadn't heard of before).

that was my first thought when I listened to the video. sounded faster than trigger squeeze, but not fast enough to be full auto, and there was a rhythm to it that just reminded me of a crank.
tullibee

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 pm

The comments below the article are typical of the bedwetting reactionary Liberal gun grabbers. I supposed its to be expected from that publications target audience.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Sounded like a bump fire stock used but hard to tell. Listening to the news on my satellite radio, they reported AR-15's that were modified to fire automatically. If so, must of had older ones as the new ones produced are harder to make auto fire afaik.
Bearcatrp

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:23 pm

And what was the Hildebeasts immediate tweet:

“Imagine the deaths if the shooter had a silencer, which the NRA wants to make easier to get.”

She called on​ people to stand up to the National Rifle Association and defeat the bill.​

​”​Our grief isn’t enough. We can and must put politics aside, stand up to the NRA, and work together to try to stop this from happening again​,” the former Democratic presidential nominee wrote.​
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I think this kills her big mouth....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... 5e3e3823a7
Bearcatrp

Postby Lumpy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Unfortunately, this was the worst possible case for self-defense: firing into a crowd with a rifle from distance and elevation. Handguns wouldn't have meant much.

I'm as determined a Second Amendment supporter as anyone, but there's not a lot I can say in response to the antis on this one that doesn't sound weak. Which bothers me a lot.
Lumpy

Postby unfitmother on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Lumpy, this was written after the Newtown shooting, but it's what I think about after every mass shooting since

http://chrisuggen.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-broader-based-response-to-shootings.html

The focus on mass shootings...

... obscures over 99 percent of homicide victims and offenders in the United States.
... leads to unproductive arguments about whether imposing sensible gun controls would have deterred the undeterrable.
... obscures the real progress made in reducing the high rates of violence in the United States.
... exaggerates the relatively modest correlation between mental illness and violence.
... leads to high-security solutions of questionable efficacy.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Lumpy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:37 pm

The problem is mass death: anything that every couple of years kills 20-50 or more people at a time makes people more afraid than things that in ones and twos add up to tens of thousands a year. Compare one airliner crash to the yearly toll on our highways for example. That's the whole impetus behind "assault weapon" bans despite handguns being the overwhelming instruments in gun violence. People disproportionately regard these highly visible incidents as intolerable.

You can argue against "Common Sense" gun control that is mostly security theater and would have little effect on actual results. The problem is that if we really did have an Australia/UK level ban on semi-automatics, it would be harder- not impossible, but harder- for these things to happen (at least until anyone can make an illegal M-249 with their 3D printer). And that's as far as most people are willing to see the issue.
Lumpy

Postby unfitmother on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Lumpy wrote:...And that's as far as most people are willing to see the issue.

You didn't read past the bullet points. I don't engage in "discussions" with opinions based on short-sightedness. Don't be most people.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Lumpy wrote:The problem is that if we really did have an Australia/UK level ban on semi-automatics, it would be harder- not impossible, but harder- for these things to happen (at least until anyone can make an illegal M-249 with their 3D printer). And that's as far as most people are willing to see the issue.

I disagree, I believe it would be easier. 300 million guns (my guess) wouldn't disappear for a very long time. Many would never be turned in. Someone determined will do what they want and will find a means, think Timothy McVeigh.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:31 pm

You can take away all the guns and these lowlifes will just use something else. You can't stop idiots hell bent on killing. Plus, all the guns in the black market would just make us good citizens a target. You also have government officials giving guns to the bad guys (cough Eric Holder cough). Guns are NOT the problem, its the idiots who choose to kill the innocent!
Bearcatrp

Postby Dill on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:42 am

people (especially liberals) always want to focus on the guns. What most people should be asking themselves is, why did this guy do this? What the hell was wrong with him and how can we either help, or catch these people before this stuff happens?
Dill

Next

Return to In The News