Sen. Feinstein introducing bill to ban bump stocks after Veg

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby INOR on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:06 pm

Gotta love the irrational "from my cold dead hands" crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Sen. Feinstein introducing bill to ban bump stocks after Veg

Postby Ghost on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Tronster wrote:
atomic41 wrote:CW2 would definitely happen.

No, it won't. Are you hoping to have a house to house gun battle with anti's? :roll: Cause the average population is going to go to work like any other day if gun restrictions are passed. For F#&%'s sake all this talk of civil war is beyond stupid, and the only reason I'm commenting is to hopefully wake some of you up before you do something really really really stupid.

With regard to my comment above. Repeal of the 2nd is about as likely as Bloomberg asking for a repeal of NFA so Walmart could sell machine guns.
Ghost

Postby silvor on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:58 am

Tronster wrote:

No, it won't. Are you hoping to have a house to house gun battle with anti's? :roll: Cause the average population is going to go to work like any other day if gun restrictions are passed. For F#&%'s sake all this talk of civil war is beyond stupid, and the only reason I'm commenting is to hopefully wake some of you up before you do something really really really stupid.

Generally, I agree with the above. Don't do anything stupid.

If 2A gets repealed, it will be BAU the next day. That said, the way rhetoric is going lately, I wonder how far off some sort of mass violence we are. We have celebs calling for the murder of gun owners and the president. Look what happened to Michael Richards when he just made a flippant remark. Has he worked since? Same thing with Hulk Hogan.

And the protests are getting a bit out of hand. Not to saying some sort of split is going to happen tomorrow - or in my lifetime, but 50 years?
silvor

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:23 pm

silvor wrote:
Tronster wrote:

Generally, I agree with the above. Don't do anything stupid.

If 2A gets repealed, it will be BAU the next day. That said, the way rhetoric is going lately, I wonder how far off some sort of mass violence we are. We have celebs calling for the murder of gun owners and the president. Look what happened to Michael Richards when he just made a flippant remark. Has he worked since? Same thing with Hulk Hogan.

And the protests are getting a bit out of hand. Not to saying some sort of split is going to happen tomorrow - or in my lifetime, but 50 years?

I seriously doubt BAU IF the 2A is repealed. Are you willing to hand over all your guns if they do it? You will be a victum of the thugs who still have them since they won't be turning theirs in.
Bearcatrp

Postby INOR on Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Guys....if there were ban or a 2A repeal, it would absolutely be BAU the next day. We have more guns in circulation than our population. It's not like they would actually be able to mobilize resources to come door to door and confiscate. Think the military at any level whether federal or national guard is going to be on board with seizing American citizens personal guns? How about the police? Think they'll do it? If you think that, you don't know too many cops. Ridiculous. It's not happening. Quit pissing your girdles.

INOR

Postby andrewP on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:I seriously doubt BAU IF the 2A is repealed.

I have to agree with INOR here.

44/50 states enumerate a right to keep and bear arms in their constitutions:
http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm

It would seem difficult from a logical perspective for a state to vote to repeal something in the federal constitution that exists in its own constitution without first changing its own constitution. I don't know each state's rules, but I imagine most require a 2/3 majority in order to repeal elements of their own constitution. It seems vanishingly unlikely to me that 28 states would change their own constitutions in that way. Needing only 28 of course presumes that the 6 that don't explicitly enumerate it in their own constitution (unfortunately, MN is one of those) would actually vote to remove it from the federal constitution.

Yes, we need to be vigilant and work to prevent further infringements, but I think actual repeal of the 2nd amendment is a pretty unlikely scenario.

Going beyond that, a federal confiscation law can't happen, even in the absence of the 2A, simply because it's not practically possible to enforce/implement it. Actually going door to door doing the confiscation of 300 million+ guns would be a logistical nightmare, not to mention the safety and financial issues.

Even the most extreme leftists have to be able to see that that scenario plays out badly for everyone involved. If even 0.01% of gun owners chose to fight it out, the bloodshed would be massive. They can't want that on their hands.

Even if everybody gave up their guns peaceably, the financial cost would be ridiculous. Beyond the 300 million+ guns, all privately-owned ammunition, holsters, scopes, reloading presses and components, gun cases, gun safes, hunting and sport shooting accessories, etc., would be rendered instantly valueless, and that would have to be factored into the compensation package. (There would have to be compensation, or the whole thing would amount to federally-sanctioned theft.) You'd either have to pay investigators to dig up every transaction, or just give people full MSRP (or, for older/collectible items, appraised value) for everything they own, and either of those would get expensive fast.

Then there are the businesses that would be put out of business, and the employees of those businesses who would become unemployed. They represent very real costs as well, not to mention the non-zero amount of inventory that would go missing and need to be tracked down.

It's just not doable in this country, no matter how much Diane Feinstein wishes it was.
andrewP

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:54 pm

WTFO, what's wrong with some of you people? Civil war? insurrection? EOTWAWKI?

DiFi introducing gun banning legislation is nothing new. She's done it every year since she's been elected. Democrat's wanting to ban guns is nothing new. They've been trying since the 60's. Spineless Republicans are nothing new, they've been that way as long as I can remember.

We've weathered worse threats to the 2nd Amendment than this and we'll weather this one also.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 am

andrewP wrote:Even the most extreme leftists have to be able to see that that scenario plays out badly for everyone involved. If even 0.01% of gun owners chose to fight it out, the bloodshed would be massive. They can't want that on their hands.

The most extreme leftists would have no problem killing anyone who disagrees with their philosophy. History provides example after example.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Randygmn on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:
andrewP wrote:Even the most extreme leftists have to be able to see that that scenario plays out badly for everyone involved. If even 0.01% of gun owners chose to fight it out, the bloodshed would be massive. They can't want that on their hands.

The most extreme leftists would have no problem killing anyone who disagrees with their philosophy. History provides example after example.

There’s no distinction between “extreme” leftists and “ordinary” leftists, fwiw. They are ALL the same.
Randygmn

Postby INOR on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:50 am

Really? That's as ridiculous as saying there's no distinction between those of us who lean more conservative.

INOR

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:15 pm

INOR wrote:Really? That's as ridiculous as saying there's no distinction between those of us who lean more conservative.

One liberal wants your stuff and the other is willing to take it from you, they both will vote dem.

As far as conservatives they’ll never agree on anything so it doesn’t matter.
Ghost

Postby andrewP on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:

If I can be allowed to rephrase, replace "can't want that on their hands" with "know it would hurt their chances at reelection," and you'll see the point I was trying to make.
andrewP

Previous

Return to In The News