Republicans Get Behind Gun Control in Wake of Las Vegas Shoo

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Republicans Get Behind Gun Control in Wake of Las Vegas Shooting
http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/05/republicans-get-behind-gun-control-in-wa?utm_medium=email
In the wake of the horrendous shooting in Las Vegas that left 59 people dead and over 500 injured, a chorus of gun control advocates have been demanding the government just "do something" to stop mass shootings.

It looks as though politicians from both major parties have decided that something is a ban on bump stocks, until this week a device little known outside of gun enthusiast circles. Officers who stormed the hotel room of Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock found several rifles equipped with bump stocks among his arsenal.

[...]

What might seem a bit more surprising are the Republicans getting behind her effort. U.S. Rep. Bill Flores of Texas, a professed gun owner, has said he would support a federal bump stock prohibition. "Based on the videos I heard and saw, and now that I've studied up on what a bump stock is — I didn't know there was such a thing — there's no reason for it," Flores told The Hill.

Sen. Ron Johnson (R–Wis.), chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, claimed total ignorance of bump stocks until Monday, said he will "likely" support a ban.

Plenty of other Republican lawmakers are now leaving open the possibility for a bump stock ban, without committing themselves to vote for it quite yet.

Sen. Lindsay Graham (R–S.C.) released a statement saying, "I think it'd be a good time to have a hearing. Just to find out how does the technology work and is there a legislative solution?"

Sens. John Conyers (R–Texas) and Chuck Grassley (R–Iowa) have likewise supported hearings on bump stocks. Sen. John Thune (R–S.D.) said a bump stock ban was something Congress should "look into." And Sen. Jeff Flake (R–Ariz.) wouldn't rule out such a prohibition.
jdege

Postby INOR on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Also not mentioned here is that the White House also indicated openness to addressing the bump stock issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Republicans Get Behind Gun Control in Wake of Las Vegas Shoo

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:07 am

Pure political to appease the crowd and show folks they are tough on firearms. Lets see, all you criminals turn in your bumpfire stocks. Yeah, right. This is a scapegoat measure. Won't stop the next mass shooting!
Bearcatrp

Postby george on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Jest read the carry reciprocity act has been pulled indefinitely also. Pelosi is already talking more gun control yet. Why even bother to vote anymore.

When personal freedom is being abused, you have to move to limit it."
- Bill Clinton
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Return to In The News