St Paul Police Union up Mayoral candidates butt about guns

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

St Paul Police Union up Mayoral candidates butt about guns

Postby INOR on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Guess the head of the police union apologized.

But just read about it and it was sort of a backhanded apology. A non-apology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: St Paul Police Union up Mayoral candidates butt about guns

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:41 pm

BigDog58 wrote:
Nope, I have negotiated with them in several roles throughout my career.

I have refused to join them and suffered the consequences of such.

They are the embodiment of group think and the liberal ideal.

How folks who claim conservative values can continue to be supportive of them in any capacity, astounds me.

I was a representative and was part of the negotiations team on two contracts at NWA and prior to that, one contract at EAL. I knew going in, that my job was to get the best possible compensation package possible for the nearly 10,000 people I represented. I also understood not everything we wanted, was obtainable, nor was everything the Airline wanted. It took long hard discussions and some compromise from both sides.

I felt that the workers had the best chance of getting fair work rules and fair compensation, when we dealt as a bargaining unit, rather than on an individual basis. This view came after working at several non-union aircraft maintenance jobs. I saw the unjust way employees were treated, with zero consistency in those instances. I was even on a "grievance committee" at one of the non-union shops. I was part of the first employee rights policy that was instituted at that company. I am still in touch with several of those people, that I helped way back then (late 1970's thru early 80's).

I will never say unions are perfect. On occasion I had to fight my district officers as much, or more, when I was doing what was right (what the membership had told me they wanted) for my membership. But, I ALWAYS made certain that not only the company's lived within the contract, but my membership did as well.

I have never considered myself as a conservative nor a liberal. I have never claimed conservative values either. I have lobbied and campaigned in D.C. for workers rights, and fought to try and keep U.S. jobs here. I could go on for three or four pages but I believe I've stated my position. The last thing I'll say, is that on the day when I had to medically retire from NWA, due to a devastating injury I suffered at work, The CEO and the V.P. of Aircraft Maintenance came to the going away party my co-workers and union brother/sisters threw for me. Both the CEO & VP said that while I was the toughest Union Rep they had dealt with, I was also the most fair. I took that as a compliment and always will. I still have members calling me almost weekly, about retirement issues and such, and I'm happy I can get them helped, or pointed in the right direction.

I still tell people, that when you are sick and have to stay home, but are still getting paid, Thank a Union Worker. Or when you get a paid vacation, Thank a Union Worker. When you have safety in the workplace, Thank a Union Worker. The same, when you get paid for not working on a holiday. Or, when you get paid overtime on your job. All of these were fought for and won, by union workers. Company's did not grant these out of the goodness of their hearts. Men and Women sacrificed, bled, and some even died, to get us to the standards most workers enjoy today.

Ok

Not trying to get into a union debate with here, I mean they still have not found Jimmy yet, but I think you are painting a bit rosey of a picture of unions.

Not about to hand unions the award of the century as the sole soldiers in the trenches that saved the American worker from a life of slavery.

You make it sound like without the unions we all would be coal miners with black lung.

Look, I am not saying historically unions did not play a role but if you think it is ok for a person to be required to pay union dues wether they want to join that union or not and those dues are then used to support a candidate that that person does not support, then who is the abuser of that person's rights? Hint it is no longer the evil businesses owner.

Oh btw, who hired the person in the first place and created the job? The union?

Or the evil business owner?
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:41 pm

I do not understand why the union is sending anyone such a letter. Wouldn't such a letter come from an investigating officer or detective on the job in an official capacity? Maybe in person as part of an investigation. Even though the union is obviously for police officers I fail to see that the union would be working for the police department.

If I received such a document from a union I would probably toss it in the circular file. If it was from the police department I would still be miffed but I would take it seriously.

I deer hunt with a bunch of union sheetmetal guys. In every aspect of their lives they are very conservative. I would even go so far as to say they are a slightly racist bunch. Yet, even though they love their guns, hunting, fishing, off color remarks, desire for more law and order, throw 'em in jail and lose the key, get rid of welfare... they still vote Democrat and claim that the right wing is evil. I just keep my mouth shut and do not discuss politics in deer camp. They all get around to it every year. I just stick to reading my American Rifleman or keep my eyes on the TV.
hard h2o

Postby bstrawse on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:08 pm

crbutler wrote:I guess I would like to know what his position on private gun sales is.

Isn’t he a democrat? Isn’t his party’s position that private sales should be banned?

If he believes in that then he’s a lying hypocrite and deserves to have this stuff said about him.

On the other hand, if you don’t tell the police the SNs they are not proven as stolen goods, and not only are you unlikely to get them back, I can pretty much guarantee without a police report with sn’s that your insurance won’t pay up either.

During his time on the Saint Paul City Council, he supported every gun control measure known to man.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Ghost on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:10 pm

bstrawse wrote:
crbutler wrote:I guess I would like to know what his position on private gun sales is.

Isn’t he a democrat? Isn’t his party’s position that private sales should be banned?

If he believes in that then he’s a lying hypocrite and deserves to have this stuff said about him.

On the other hand, if you don’t tell the police the SNs they are not proven as stolen goods, and not only are you unlikely to get them back, I can pretty much guarantee without a police report with sn’s that your insurance won’t pay up either.

During his time on the Saint Paul City Council, he supported every gun control measure known to man.

Not surprised
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:02 pm

The Liberal Elite are the only people smart enough and responsible enough to own guns. The commoners are not to be trusted with their earnings or weaponry. Hipocrasy abounds.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Previous

Return to In The News