TX shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

TX shooting

Postby INOR on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Another church shooting. Was reading about the suspect. Apparently had an AR among other weapons. But was also a dishonorably discharged airman. If dishonorably discharged, aren't you statutorily prohibited from purchasing? Will be interesting to see where he got his weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: TX shooting

Postby Ghost on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Yes, it will be interesting to hear the details.

Sad situation. Prayers for those involved.
Ghost

TX shooting

Postby INOR on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:17 pm

It's awful. Small town of only 400 people too. Can happen anywhere.

INOR

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Question 11g on the 4473: "Have you been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions?"
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:42 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Question 11g on the 4473: "Have you been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions?"

Well, murdering people is already illegal too.
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Question 11g on the 4473: "Have you been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions?"

Might not have been dishonorably discharged

Kelley was discharged from the Air Force in 2014, according to Defense Department records. Kelley was court-martialed in November 2012 for assaulting his wife and their child. A judge sentenced him with a bad-conduct discharge, 12 months confinement, and two reductions in rank to basic airman, according to an appeals court decision in 2013 that affirmed the decision against Kelley.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/devin-patrick-kelley-idd-as-sutherland-springs-church-killer
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:58 am

Ghost wrote:

Kelley was discharged from the Air Force in 2014, according to Defense Department records. Kelley was court-martialed in November 2012 for assaulting his wife and their child. A judge sentenced him with a bad-conduct discharge, 12 months confinement, and two reductions in rank to basic airman, according to an appeals court decision in 2013 that affirmed the decision against Kelley.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/devin-patrick-kelley-idd-as-sutherland-springs-church-killer

Domestic violence is covered in question 11i: "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence? (See Instructions for Question 11.i.)"

Also, the picture from his supposed Facebook account looks to be a SBR.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:59 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Domestic violence is covered in question 11i: "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence? (See Instructions for Question 11.i.)"

Also, the picture from his (supposed) Facebook account looks to be a SBR.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

TX shooting

Postby INOR on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:29 am

That explains that question. They were initially reporting full dishonorable discharge. This was one sick person to drive to a place of worship and mow people down there. Kids. Elderly. Pregnant mom.

We need more people carrying and carrying all the **** time! Guarantee these shooters plans change dramatically when someone pulls a gun and returns fire unexpectedly. Yes, they want to die but they want to do it on their terms by their own hand or by the police. The last thing they expect is for their victims to shoot back. That needs to happen.

News is reporting that a local resident engaged him with a rifle after the shooting and that the guy got in a vehicle and fled. And that the neighbor with the rifle gave chase. I hope that it was one of that guy's bullets that took this sad piece of **** out.

INOR

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:06 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Also, the picture from his supposed Facebook account looks to be a SBR.

My understanding is it’s not necessarily called domestic violence in the military. Needless to say this guy wasn’t a fine upstanding citizen.
Ghost

Postby westhope on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 am

Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:36 am

Get ready for the "common sense " gun control demands...........

What are the remedies for a citizen who knows a person with mental illness that owns or has access to guns? With involuntary civil commitment off the table thanks to JFK, what is the process?

It's the elephant in the room.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby LarryP on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 am

Satan's hold on our world is getting tighter & tighter. Who could ever imagine these types of killing going on today. Sad thing is it will get much worse before it gets better
LarryP

Postby Randygmn on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:05 pm

This was a domestic situation. He picked the Church because his wife’s mother prayed there. She wasn’t there at the time of the murders, but he did kill her grandmother.
Randygmn

Postby INOR on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

The opposition doesn't care about motive. All they care about is if a gun was used, how they got it, and why they had such big guns with big magazines.
INOR

Next

Return to In The News