Congress Passes Bill For Sale Of 1911 Pistols Through CMP

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Congress Passes Bill For Sale Of 1911 Pistols Through CMP

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:39 pm

To purchase you have to be a member of a Club who is also affiliated with the CMP. You must provide proof of membership when you purchase the firearm. I do not recall where I read the interview with the CMP Sales Director, but he indicated that the 1911's would most likely sell in the 600 to 1000 dollar range. Yes they will have have been "inspected" and as with most arsenal weapons they will be a mix match of parts. They have done a good job with the M1's and the days of the 1911's for sale in the back of Popular mechanics for $45.00 or a WWII jeep for $500 is long over! :lol:
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Randygmn on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:33 am

wasfuzz wrote:To purchase you have to be a member of a Club who is also affiliated with the CMP. You must provide proof of membership when you purchase the firearm. I do not recall where I read the interview with the CMP Sales Director, but he indicated that the 1911's would most likely sell in the 600 to 1000 dollar range. Yes they will have have been "inspected" and as with most arsenal weapons they will be a mix match of parts. They have done a good job with the M1's and the days of the 1911's for sale in the back of Popular mechanics for $45.00 or a WWII jeep for $500 is long over! :lol:

I recall reading the same price estimates, $600-1000 when this topic surfaced last year. I just can’t remember where. Either TFB or TTAG. Seems like a lot without the opportunity for prior inspection.

Anyway- it will be limited to 10,000 per year and up for review after the first year, fwiw. Also- don’t get caught up in a straw purchase with these. Join a club yourself.
Randygmn

Postby photogpat on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:58 pm

You can join the Garand Collectors Association online...that plus your carry permit is all you need for the qualifying paperwork. Remains to be seen how they'll handle the transfers...they run a bg check on all buyers now, and congressional mandate let's them ship rifles interstate directly to nonlicensees in most states that aren't communists.

Pistols will like have to run through an FFL.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Re: Re:

Postby goalie on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
usnret wrote:
goalie wrote:Great. Rattle trap 1911's for everyone!

If they are like the ones we had before the Beretta, I'll only pay 200 for one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

But who would't want to greatly over pay for a piece of history. ( note the sarcasm)

The cmp has, imo, done a phenomenal job with the garands. There is no better deal on one out there than through them and you can get them at various levels from rattle trap to basically new. I suspect they will do similar with the 1911s and rebuild, refinish, etc.

They had tons of parts for the Garands. We'll see how the 1911 thing goes, but, all in all, I doubt I'm in for one.

(I have an International Harvester Garand I got from the DCM for 250 bucks. Yeah, it's worth more now, I get that, I just have no use for a rattle trap 1911, so until I know they are NOT rattle traps...)
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Randygmn on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 pm

They had tons of parts for the Garands. We'll see how the 1911 thing goes, but, all in all, I doubt I'm in for one.

(I have an International Harvester Garand I got from the DCM for 250 bucks. Yeah, it's worth more now, I get that, I just have no use for a rattle trap 1911, so until I know they are NOT rattle traps...)[/quote]

I just read a comment on a forum today that said at the time Beretta took over the pistol contract, there hadn’t been any new 1911’s delivered to the military since the late 40’s. That would mean the newest possible pistols would be approximately 70 years old. The veteran who commented said even at that time (the 80’s) that they were all “clapped out” (I disn know what that meant, but was defined as completely worn out). I’m gonna take a wait an see stance here and pass on first year deliveries.
Randygmn

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:26 pm

It is my understanding we wont see them at CMP for close to 2 yrs, so don't hold your breath waiting on them.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby jdege on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:57 am

I've been waiting two years already, I'm just happy to see progress.
jdege

Postby goalie on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:08 am

Randygmn wrote:
I just read a comment on a forum today that said at the time Beretta took over the pistol contract, there hadn’t been any new 1911’s delivered to the military since the late 40’s. That would mean the newest possible pistols would be approximately 70 years old. The veteran who commented said even at that time (the 80’s) that they were all “clapped out” (I disn know what that meant, but was defined as completely worn out). I’m gonna take a wait an see stance here and pass on first year deliveries.

I qualified with both the 1911 and the Beretta. The 1911's rattled. A lot. And they were older than dirt. and that was around 30 years ago.

I shot a few highpower matches with the DCM garand I bought. Sharpshooter scores IIRC, so not like shooting a match rifle, but didn't suck too bad. I doubt a CMP 1911 is going to fare as well at a bullseye competition.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 am

Cute little interview with CMP’s “Marketing Manager”:

https://www.thegunwriter.com/23661/cmp- ... plus-1911/

Screw those dicks.
Erud

Postby Ghost on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:05 am

Erud wrote:Cute little interview with CMP’s “Marketing Manager”:

https://www.thegunwriter.com/23661/cmp- ... plus-1911/

Screw those dicks.

That guy is an idiot
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 am

In defense of the CMP, they have to tread cautiously. The anti's would like nothing better than see one of these pistols end up in the wrong hands so they could use it as a political wedge against the CMP.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:In defense of the CMP, they have to tread cautiously. The anti's would like nothing better than see one of these pistols end up in the wrong hands so they could use it as a political wedge against the CMP.

Yeah, so artificially inflating the price should take care of that problem, eh? :roll:

“It’s hard to say exactly, but a good guess will be around $1,000 minimum,” he said. “One reason for this is that the 1911 is a very valuable pistol. Even though they may be shot out or busted up, we don’t want them falling into the hands of people who will just leave them in a glove box. We want a perceived value — more of an heirloom. We don’t want them considered a standard sidearm. All we need is to have someone commit a liquor store robbery with one and then we’ll be held accountable.

I'm sure lots of would-be liquor store robbers will be going through the CMP process to buy a 1911 and have it transferred through an FFL. What was the intended purpose of the CMP again?
Erud

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:43 am

Just wildass speculation on my part, even at $1,000 a pop, CMP will have no problem selling these as fast as they get them in.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:49 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Just wildass speculation on my part, even at $1,000 a pop, CMP will have no problem selling these as fast as they get them in.

I have no doubt about that. Not to me though.
Erud

Postby photogpat on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:19 am

At $1k, the speculators won't buy 5 each either.

Still...that guy's opinion is elitist to the extreme. Guess only upper middle class and the rich can appreciate a piece of history.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

PreviousNext

Return to In The News