Use Medical Marijuana? 30 days to turn in your guns

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Use Medical Marijuana? 30 days to turn in your guns

Postby LarryP on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:53 pm

LarryP

Re: Use Medical Marijuana? 30 days to turn in your guns

Postby Ghost on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Interesting
Ghost

Postby usnret on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 pm

You watch. Other states will soon follow Hawaii. I bet Kalifornia won't be far behind.
In Hawaii if you wanted to buy a gun from a store, you needed the store to fill out paperwork with the guns description, and serial number on it. You then took that to the local police station and after a background check, they would give you a permit to buy that exact firearm within a week. You take that paperwork back to the store, purchase the firearm and then return to the police station with the firearm and they then add the firearm to your permit to own which you must have on your person whenever you and the firearm are together, ie: at the range, transporting it to a gunsmith etc.
That's how they know who has what of the law abiding citizens.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:06 am

Makes perfect sense Fed law says it is a crime - there fore you can not own a gun, whats so hard about that? Just makes sense that they tract the public records to see who has guns. Hell if MN eve rcross-referenced the hunting license file with people who are not allowed to own guns, there would be a lot less hunters in MN.
Last edited by wasfuzz on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:42 am

Or cross reference with prescription records for psychoactive drugs as part of "common sense " solutions.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:08 am

I’m not sure looking at who has purchased a hunting license will easily locate those who are the actual problem. I give Chicago as an example. I’d also guess they don’t partake in the medical variety of marijuana either.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 am

wasfuzz wrote:Makes perfect sense Fed law says it is a crime - there fore you can not own a gun, whats so hard about that? Just makes sense that the tract the public records to see who has guns. Hell if MN eve rcross-referenced the hunting license file with people who are not allowed to own guns, there would be a lot less hunters in MN.

That would make sense if it were the Feds sending out the letters and confiscating the guns. But according to the article it is the local PD doing it. If they are OK ignoring one federal law (grass) why are they not OK ignoring something related to it?

BB
BigBlue

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 am

BigBlue wrote:
wasfuzz wrote:Makes perfect sense Fed law says it is a crime - there fore you can not own a gun, whats so hard about that? Just makes sense that the tract the public records to see who has guns. Hell if MN eve rcross-referenced the hunting license file with people who are not allowed to own guns, there would be a lot less hunters in MN.

That would make sense if it were the Feds sending out the letters and confiscating the guns. But according to the article it is the local PD doing it. If they are OK ignoring one federal law (grass) why are they not OK ignoring something related to it?

BB

Because they hate guns maybe?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:07 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Because they hate guns maybe?

the feds, and most gov'ts have a true affinity for guns

Because they hate gun owners maybe?

Fixed it for you
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:55 am

xd ED wrote:
Because they hate gun owners maybe?

Fixed it for you

That goes without saying.

Just saying. :lol:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby hopkins on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:59 pm

two items to consider on this topic.

1. Firearms purchased Before getting on medical MJ are NOT subject to this ruling, as they are ex post facto, that is after the fact. Grandfathered so to speak.

2. This action is being undertaken on the State level, not the Federal.
hopkins

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:36 pm

LarryP wrote:http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article187082303.html

So if it is news out of Hawaii, why is it in the Miami Herald?

And is Lehigh valley real?

Is this really from the onion?
Holland&Holland

Postby Geezer43 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 pm

My wife has had luekemia for three years, and is now considering applying for a prescription for medical marijuana.
So I'm wondering what the latest view of the Feds and of the State of Minn is with regards to this issue.
The links -- http://www.guns.com/2011/10/10/atf-bans ... a-objects/
and http://www.guns.com/2016/11/28/atf-stan ... juana-ban/
tend to raise several concerns on my part.

I realize that these restrictions apply to the purchase of guns after the prescription is granted, however there seems to be a bit of overreach in some cases.
For example -- will they ask if there are currently any firearms in the household?
Will they ask for an inventory of currently owned or sold firearms?
Will they send someone to "check on this potential ""safety issue""?"
Despite the fact that she has never purchased a firearm and has no intention of doing do, does this apply to any member of the household?

In light of recent events, and of a seeming tendency of politicians to cave-in to a now ever increasing anti-gun sentiment and demand for more anti-gun
legislation, my concerns of more aggressive interpretation and enforcement of existing laws relating to this particular issue are growing.

Would someone/anyone please shed some light on recent developments or interpretations in this regard, especially as pertains to the State of Minnesota?
Thanks.
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:21 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Or cross reference with prescription records for psychoactive drugs as part of "common sense " solutions.

That's the one that scares me. I know someone that takes a light anxiety med which happens to be the same med they give for depression (always the same meds for both by the way) so what happens then?
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby mrp on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Geezer43 wrote:I realize that these restrictions apply to the purchase of guns after the prescription is granted, however there seems to be a bit of overreach in some cases.

I believe that is incorrect. It's not just illegal for a user of marijuana to purchase firearms, but to possess them as well. See:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

Geezer43 wrote:Despite the fact that she has never purchased a firearm and has no intention of doing do, does this apply to any member of the household?

It would depend on whether she has possession of the firearms. "Constructive possession" is a term you'd want to research. If you keep a firearm in your nightstand, she has constructive possession. If you keep a firearm in a safe that she knows the combination to, that's also constructive possession.

Geezer43 wrote:In light of recent events, and of a seeming tendency of politicians to cave-in to a now ever increasing anti-gun sentiment and demand for more anti-gun legislation, my concerns of more aggressive interpretation and enforcement of existing laws relating to this particular issue are growing.

I know a few people whose doctors have recommended (or at least haven't objected) to them trying medical marijuana. After weighing their options, including the expense of medical marijuana in MN...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Minneap ... /Colorado/

It's time to congratulate marijuana for wining the war on drugs, and move it off schedule 1. (and I haven't ever even used it, and don't plan to.)
mrp

Next

Return to In The News