Use Medical Marijuana? 30 days to turn in your guns

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Use Medical Marijuana? 30 days to turn in your guns

Postby Geezer43 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:16 pm

MRP, thanks for your response.

I've been trying to muddle through all the legal mumbo-jumbo related to this issue.
It seems that your are correct in stating that possession (actual or constructive) of a firearm by a medical marijuana patient, or any other member of the household, is prohibited by the BATFE. Federal Law supersedes any related State Law.
It also appears that this patient information is not available to Law Enforcement without a search warrant.

My concerns regarding overreach and misguided enthusiastic interpretation of the handling of this issue still remains.
Call it paranoia perhaps, but considering the current state of sentiment at various government levels and in certain civilian groups nowadays, it may be more realistic than paranoid.

No one can answer these questions with certainty but, if one were to apply for a medical marijuana permit, they still are:
.................. Would they ask if there are currently any firearms in the household?
.................. Would they ask for an inventory of currently owned or sold firearms?
.................. Would they send someone to "check on this potential ""safety issue""?"

Having seen how the State of Minn handles personal data and gathers medical data (at least prior to HIPAA) it would not surprise me of they would willingly
hand over the list of medical marijuana patients to the BATFE upon request.
Nobody can predict what the BATFE would do with that list, but it could become another troublesome tool for the long arm of the law.
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Re: Use Medical Marijuana? 30 days to turn in your guns

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:32 pm

soliciting for legal advice on the internet is a fool's errand.

If this is a concern, I would highly recommend contacting a good lawyer.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Previous

Return to In The News