National Reciprocity for Concealed Carry Passes

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

National Reciprocity for Concealed Carry Passes

Postby jdege on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:55 pm

National Reciprocity for Concealed Carry Passes, Next Stop House Floor

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/11/29/national-reciprocity-concealed-carry-passes-next-stop-house-floor/

National reciprocity for concealed carry passed the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday is expected to receive a floor vote before the end of the year.
jdege

Re: National Reciprocity for Concealed Carry Passes

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 pm

While I'm all in favor of states recognizing other states permits, how does the federal government enforce this without running afoul of the Ninth and Tenth Amendments?

ETA: And while I'm thinking about it, How do we keep the gun hating left from turning this against us when the political pendulum swings back in their favor?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby jdege on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:27 am

Get Ready for Concealed Guns in All 50 States
House panel approves law that will allow firearms-owners to cross any state line with a hidden weapon.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-29/get-ready-for-concealed-guns-in-all-50-states
Republicans rejected Democratic amendments that would ban violent offenders from qualifying under the law, as well as a change that would have prevented forum shopping, which means a New York resident barred from obtaining a concealed carry permit could instead send away for one from somewhere else. The bill, which has more than 200 co-sponsors, almost all Republicans, now heads for the floor of the 435-member House. A similar bill, with 38 Republican co-sponsors, is pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“This would end abuses in anti-gun states like New York and New Jersey and allow law-abiding concealed carriers to exercise their rights nationwide with peace of mind,” the NRA website states. “[The bill] would not, as some critics claim, affect how states issue their own concealed carry permits.”

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22concealed+carry+reciprocity+act%22%5D%7D
Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms.

A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in, his or her state of residence.

Additionally, the bill specifies that a qualified individual who lawfully carries or possesses a concealed handgun in another state: (1) is not subject to the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm in a school zone, and (2) may carry or possess the concealed handgun in federally owned lands that are open to the public.

That last bit is a comfort. A lot of people don't realize that the School Zone statute provides an exemption to the charge of possessing a firearm within 1000 feet of a school only for those who have a permit issued by the state. It doesn't say "recognized by the state". Looks like this new bill will fix that.
jdege

Postby MJY65 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:42 am

I'd imagine the gun hating states will just impose such ridiculous restrictions on CCW that they will be essentially useless. "Sure we recognize all permits, but concealed carry is only allowed within 100' of an interstate highway"
MJY65

Postby JJ on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:57 am

DOA in the Senate.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:45 pm

MJY65 wrote:I'd imagine the gun hating states will just impose such ridiculous restrictions on CCW that they will be essentially useless. "Sure we recognize all permits, but concealed carry is only allowed within 100' of an interstate highway"

Yep, New York doesn't follow federal law when it comes to transporting firearms. I imagine they will ignore this as well.
Jackpine Savage

Postby jdege on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:05 pm

JJ wrote:DOA in the Senate.

Not certain.
This failed in 2013 with 57 votes.
We're pretty sure we have the 58th. Do we have 59 & 60? Maybe.
jdege

Postby Lumpy on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Sure to be appealed all the way to the SCOTUS.
Lumpy

Postby BuckKlier on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:54 pm

I just got a call from the NRA ILA, urging me to call Jason Lewis, and to encourage him to vote for National Reciprocity, the woman making the call could not even say Reciprocity, what the hell type of people does the NRA Hire? :roll:
BuckKlier

Postby Ghost on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:08 pm

BuckKlier wrote:I just got a call from the NRA ILA, urging me to call Jason Lewis, and to encourage him to vote for National Reciprocity, the woman making the call could not even say Reciprocity, what the hell type of people does the NRA Hire? :roll:

Annoying ones
Ghost

Postby bstrawse on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 pm

BuckKlier wrote:I just got a call from the NRA ILA, urging me to call Jason Lewis, and to encourage him to vote for National Reciprocity, the woman making the call could not even say Reciprocity, what the hell type of people does the NRA Hire? :roll:

Lewis is a co-sponsor - his support is not in question.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby BuckKlier on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:10 pm

[quote="bstrawse"][quote="BuckKlier"]I just got a call from the NRA ILA, urging me to call Jason Lewis, and to encourage him to vote for National Reciprocity, the woman making the call could not even say Reciprocity, what the hell type of people does the NRA Hire? :roll:[/qu

Is the NRA clueless, & Has the NRA lost touch?
BuckKlier

Postby bstrawse on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:05 am

BuckKlier wrote:
bstrawse wrote:
BuckKlier wrote:I just got a call from the NRA ILA, urging me to call Jason Lewis, and to encourage him to vote for National Reciprocity, the woman making the call could not even say Reciprocity, what the hell type of people does the NRA Hire? :roll:[/qu

Is the NRA clueless, & Has the NRA lost touch?

No, they're just being appropriately persistent since the anti-gun Giffords PAC is running ads against Lewis.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Return to In The News