This New Russian Sniper Rifle Is Redefining 'a Safe Distance

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm

Common Russian battle tactics, currently on display in Ukraine and elsewhere, uses three rows of snipers in battle. Although the first two rows present a challenge for even the best marksmen, it’s the back row—which can be around 2,000 yards away from a target—where Russia places its most elite. Now a U.S. Army report says that this last row of warriors have become even more deadly, thanks to a new weapon—the T-5000 Tochnost rifle.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a14382207/russian-sniper-t-5000/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=121117
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: This New Russian Sniper Rifle Is Redefining 'a Safe Distance

Postby Ghost on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Popular Mechanics seems impressed. Good for them.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Ghost wrote:Popular Mechanics seems impressed. Good for them.

I can't wait until I can buy one as a milsurp at fleet farm for 79.99. The ammo will come in a spam can and after rebate they will be paying you .05 per round to shoot it. But then it will dry up and the ammo will be $75 per round when you can find it and the guns will only be on gun broker where folks will want 3k for a beater.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 pm

I'd love to have one, and I'll load my own ammo. Rounds will be highly accurate, not in "spam cans", and also cheap ;)
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby crbutler on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:22 am

Did I read this right?

It's a .338 lapua capable of 0.5 MOA at 200 yards?

Don't we already have that?

The interesting thing was they are claiming that the Russians are using 2-3 layers of snipers. That would imply they have a lot more of them than we do... given that snipers have to shoot...a lot... that would indicate they have a lot more men and money than we do...which they don't. They have difficulty paying their troops and it's a conscript army serving 2 years as I understand it. While their best are as good as anyone, claiming they can dominate us on a conventional battlefield is a bit much.

The pics also show the rifle equipped with nightforce scopes. That is kind odd for the Russians.

As is shown by recent events in Syria, riflemen get in trouble when the rules of engagement allow asymmetrical response. Taking fire from the mosque? Call in artillery. Artillery outranges even the best sniper rifle....
crbutler

Postby usnret on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:08 am

Just call in an airstrike. Boom..problem solved.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Randygmn on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:11 am

Smh- the article says that what the Russians can now bring to the table is more advanced than what US troops have seen before. It does NOT say the Russians have more advanced capabilities than what the US military has.
Randygmn

Postby Erud on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 am

Popular Mechanics should stick to articles where they have at least a basic understanding of the topic they are writing about.
Erud

Postby xd ED on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:31 am

Onion-esque
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:51 am

Interesting. Anyone read to the bottom about the 4000 yard shots? So they are just catching up to the USA, who already uses a 338 and a 50BMG for sniping. So what else is new?
Bearcatrp

Postby Lumpy on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:41 pm

We need a bigger planet, this one is getting too small for our engagement range. :P
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:24 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Interesting. Anyone read to the bottom about the 4000 yard shots? So they are just catching up to the USA, who already uses a 338 and a 50BMG for sniping. So what else is new?

The article actually states a .388 Lapua. Assuming it is just a typo? Or did Russia do a one off?
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 pm

As to more advanced than anything we’ve faced, I recall a few years back that NATO forces captured a bunch of .50 BMG sniper rifles in Iraq that were sold in violation of the arms embargo to Iran and used by the insurgents. If I recall right, they were SIGs.

Yes, the insurgents were not quality troops like the Russians would be, but it makes one wonder about the press.
crbutler

Postby LarryP on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Why can't we use one of these on that little fat man in korea? At that distance, Nobody would know who shot him
LarryP

Postby george on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Time to build the 20mm Barret.

When personal freedom is being abused, you have to move to limit it."
- Bill Clinton
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Next

Return to In The News