This New Russian Sniper Rifle Is Redefining 'a Safe Distance

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: This New Russian Sniper Rifle Is Redefining 'a Safe Distance

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one to see the BS in this article.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ghost on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:02 pm

BigDog58 wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one to see the BS in this article.

By BS you must mean the ballistic superiority ;)

It's comical at best
Ghost

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:15 pm

crbutler wrote:As to more advanced than anything we’ve faced, I recall a few years back that NATO forces captured a bunch of .50 BMG sniper rifles in Iraq that were sold in violation of the arms embargo to Iran and used by the insurgents. If I recall right, they were SIGs.

Yes, the insurgents were not quality troops like the Russians would be, but it makes one wonder about the press.

STEYR, not SIG.
Some 50BMG, some 460STEYR.

460Steyr is based on a shortened, necked-down 50BMG. Factory ammo is rare, thus most were 50BMG.

If "I" were to choose a long distance cartridge for sniping purposes, it would be 416 Barret, 460 Steyr, or 50BMG in that order. Question is Personnel or Material destruction.

My thoughts only.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Lumpy on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm

george wrote:Time to build the 20mm Barret.
There is the Anzio 20mm
Lumpy

Postby linksep on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 pm

I canceled my "on-again off-again" 25 year subscription to "Popular Mechanics" when they became "Popular Liberal Hipsters". The straw that broke this camel's back was a multi-page "article" about how some dumb-ass barefoot hipster converted his wife's $6,000 car into essentially scrap metal by spending hundreds of dollars in spray-paint and painting over all the lights and windows because he was too stupid to use heat or a solvent to remove a bumper-sticker (or take it to a detailer to buff out the scratches he put in it...or take it to a body shop to paint the one panel he damaged...or tape off lights and windows to protect them from overspray...).
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:39 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
crbutler wrote:As to more advanced than anything we’ve faced, I recall a few years back that NATO forces captured a bunch of .50 BMG sniper rifles in Iraq that were sold in violation of the arms embargo to Iran and used by the insurgents. If I recall right, they were SIGs.

Yes, the insurgents were not quality troops like the Russians would be, but it makes one wonder about the press.

STEYR, not SIG.
Some 50BMG, some 460STEYR.
460Steyr is based on a shortened, necked-down 50BMG. Factory ammo is rare, thus most were 50BMG.
If "I" were to choose a long distance cartridge for sniping purposes, it would be 416 Barret, 460 Steyr, or 50BMG in that order. Question is Personnel or Material destruction.
My thoughts only.

The 338 LM is a fine rifle for long distance accurate shooting. Light too. Was shooting 1000 yards with easy this past summer. My 50BMG I had weighed 23 lbs fully dressed. Would not want to hump that sucker around. Think my 338 is around 12 lbs dressed. Never owned a 460 so don’t know weight etc.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ironbear on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:05 am

Erud wrote:Popular Mechanics should stick to articles where they have at least a basic understanding of the topic they are writing about.

It is not just guns. During a recent trip to the library, I noticed the cover of Popular Mechanics listing a story on making a 1000 mile trip... !!!WITHOUT GPS!!!... as if it were an off-highway trip across Africa or something. A quick scan showed that it was in the U.S. and involved Interstates and U.S. Highways... Probably why I haven't read Popular Mechanics in years. Unfortunately, the "Popular" in Popular Mechanics probably means that, these days, they have to orient themselves toward people who need instructions on which end of a hammer to hold on to, and which end of the nail needs pounding...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:22 am

Ironbear wrote:
Erud wrote:Popular Mechanics should stick to articles where they have at least a basic understanding of the topic they are writing about.

It is not just guns. During a recent trip to the library, I noticed the cover of Popular Mechanics listing a story on making a 1000 mile trip... !!!WITHOUT GPS!!!... as if it were an off-highway trip across Africa or something. A quick scan showed that it was in the U.S. and involved Interstates and U.S. Highways... Probably why I haven't read Popular Mechanics in years. Unfortunately, the "Popular" in Popular Mechanics probably means that, these days, they have to orient themselves toward people who need instructions on which end of a hammer to hold on to, and which end of the nail needs pounding...

You don't have a hammer app on your phone?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:24 am

Ironbear wrote:

No GPS!!!! Oh the old days. I've actually been thinking about doing a summer trip with no GPS to show the kids how it's done.
Ghost

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Ghost wrote:
Ironbear wrote:

No GPS!!!! Oh the old days. I've actually been thinking about doing a summer trip with no GPS to show the kids how it's done.

Not possible. You’d be dead before you got to the county line with no GPS.
Erud

Postby Ironbear on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:You don't have a hammer app on your phone?

Well... not yet, since I only became a smart phone owner this month... It is slowly becoming more useful as my wife trains me to take it with so she can tell me what to do...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Ghost on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Erud wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Ironbear wrote:It is not just guns. During a recent trip to the library, I noticed the cover of Popular Mechanics listing a story on making a 1000 mile trip... !!!WITHOUT GPS!!!... as if it were an off-highway trip across Africa or something. A quick scan showed that it was in the U.S. and involved Interstates and U.S. Highways... Probably why I haven't read Popular Mechanics in years. Unfortunately, the "Popular" in Popular Mechanics probably means that, these days, they have to orient themselves toward people who need instructions on which end of a hammer to hold on to, and which end of the nail needs pounding...

Not possible. You’d be dead before you got to the county line with no GPS.

:o :(
Ghost

Previous

Return to In The News