Permit holder shooting/death in Rochester

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby dismal on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:51 pm

http://www.kaaltv.com/news/police-rochester-teen-dead-after-shooting-incident-25-year-old-man-in-custody/4743466/?cat=10151

A 17-year-old Rochester teen is dead after being shot in the chest, according to Rochester Police.

According to the release, based on evidence and statements from witnesses, the car accident preceded the shooting. Weiss was the driver and only person in one of the vehicles involved in the case, and Rahim was the driver of the second vehicle, which was also carrying three additional passengers in their teens.

In the report, police said, the accident led to a confrontation in the street involving Weiss, Rahim, and the 17-year old male passenger. Based on statements, this does not appear to be a road rage type incident.

dismal

Re: Permit holder shooting/death in Rochester

Postby LarryP on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Permit holder is SOL
LarryP

Postby Ghost on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:21 pm

LarryP wrote:Permit holder is SOL

Seems odd that the shooter stopped to help someone who had gone in the ditch and then ends up shooting them. Guess we will see how much their meth had to do with it.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:43 pm

LarryP wrote:Permit holder is SOL

Why?
Holland&Holland

Postby dismal on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Based on some of the police comments, he might do ok legally, but in the (Roch liberal) court of opinion he's in for a world of hurt. It's going to be interesting down here for a while.
dismal

Postby INOR on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Not looking good. The witness account is that an altercation broke out, the permit holder drew his gun, the person shot said "I dare you," and the permit holder put one in his chest. The other witness is of course one of the other kids in the car with the guy shot. Apparently there were four kids in the car in total. Obviously, a biased and probably unreliable witness, particularly if the reports of meth use in the car were accurate. But my guess is that this witness account will be solid enough to get the permit holder charged and he's going to have to defend it in court. Will see what happens.
INOR

Postby Ghost on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:23 pm

INOR wrote:Not looking good. The witness account is that an altercation broke out, the permit holder drew his gun, the person shot said "I dare you," and the permit holder put one in his chest. The other witness is of course one of the other kids in the car with the guy shot. Apparently there were four kids in the car in total. Obviously, a biased and probably unreliable witness, particularly if the reports of meth use in the car were accurate. But my guess is that this witness account will be solid enough to get the permit holder charged and he's going to have to defend it in court. Will see what happens.

Anything on what prompted him to draw?
Ghost

Postby INOR on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Still unclear. One thing I read suggested the teens were trying to leave the scene whereas he wanted the cops to come and this led to the dispute. Don't know if they were being aggressive to him or what led to him drawing his handgun.
INOR

Postby BigBlue on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:08 am

Sounds like the teens that went in the ditch were being aggressive. One or more reports called it 'posturing'. Really hard to say one way or the other with the limited info and obviously filtered slant of the details by MN's libmedia. This will be an interesting one to watch. No matter how justified it turns out you know the pants-wetting antis will refer back to it in the future as some example of all the bad things that carrying results in. "Child killed for mouthing off after car accident." They have no shame... you know they'll use it like that.
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 am

INOR wrote:Not looking good. The witness account is that an altercation broke out, the permit holder drew his gun, the person shot said "I dare you," and the permit holder put one in his chest. The other witness is of course one of the other kids in the car with the guy shot. Apparently there were four kids in the car in total. Obviously, a biased and probably unreliable witness, particularly if the reports of meth use in the car were accurate. But my guess is that this witness account will be solid enough to get the permit holder charged and he's going to have to defend it in court. Will see what happens.

As long as a person in this situation would reasonably fear for his or her life and was not the aggressor, then should be fine.

Remember, the Mall of America specifically recognizes packs of youths as a potential threat to public safety, so there is some precedence set. If the "kids" were on meth, aggressive, and he feared for his life... Sounds like he stopped the threat.

I'm just saying that we should give the permit holder a little bit of the benefit of the doubt until he is proven to be in the wrong.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 am

One can develop some sense of what may have happened by what has been reported in the various news outlets.
Vehicle A, driven by Rahim (the deceased) slid into a ditch, while causing vehicle B (driven by the shooter) to take evasive action. vehicle B stops, Vehicle A then backs into Vehicle B. Driver and at least one passenger of Vehicle A confront driver of Vehicle B.
Aggressive confrontation occurs.
Shooting occurs.

Driver of A has criminal past involving drugs.
Driver of B has yet to be charged.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby INOR on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Yep. I agree. But still think it’s a case where there will likely be some type of charges and the shooter will have to defend himself in court. Which, I guess, points out the necessity that we all need to be prepared to defend ourselves in court should this kind of thing ever happen to any of us. Definitely a case to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby mrp on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm

https://www.co.olmsted.mn.us/sheriff/di ... stody.aspx

Charges:
Description: 2 Deg Murder w/o Intent
Level: Felony
mrp

Postby xd ED on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:40 pm

INOR wrote:Yep. I agree. But still think it’s a case where there will likely be some type of charges and the shooter will have to defend himself in court. Which, I guess, points out the necessity that we all need to be prepared to defend ourselves in court should this kind of thing ever happen to any of us. Definitely a case to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's now being reported Weiss(sp) went back to his car to retrieve his pistol before shooting Rahim....
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 pm

if that is true, reluctant participant is going to be tough to prove. he could have just as easy as grabbing a gun, sat in the drivers seat and left the scene...............Based on only the evidence parroted here, it doesn't look good.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to In The News