Criminal Complaint in the Rochester Shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:33 am

Here is a link to the Complaint filed in the shooting last weekend. Not bumper sticker info!
http://www.co.olmsted.mn.us/attorney/Documents/Weiss%202nd%20Deg.%20Murder%20Complaint.pdf
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Re: Criminal Complaint in the Rochester Shooting

Postby xd ED on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:41 am

wasfuzz wrote:Here is a link to the Complaint filed in the shooting last weekend. Not bumper sticker info!
http://www.co.olmsted.mn.us/attorney/Documents/Weiss%202nd%20Deg.%20Murder%20Complaint.pdf

Not sure of the significance, but the complaint mis-identifies the respective cars in page 3, para 1

Is that bumper sticker thing the usual?
I expect not.
I wonder if it's something a defense atty can use...

and again, this really points out the need to stfu.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am

xd ED wrote:
wasfuzz wrote:Here is a link to the Complaint filed in the shooting last weekend. Not bumper sticker info!

Not sure of the significance, but the complaint mis-identifies the respective cars in page 3, para 1

I expect not.

Is my window sticker subtle enough?
Ghost

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:09 pm

xd ED wrote:Is that bumper sticker thing the usual?and again, this really points out the need to stfu.

No info like that is always included in reports, that is why several instructors teach not to display things like that! and yes Officer I want to cooperate with you and will gladly do so once I have spoken to my Atty. Then STFU! Just like DO NOT Stay on the line with 911 when you call - you are making a voluntary statement that is being recorded. Name, Rank and horsepower and then STFU.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby INOR on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Agreed. Definitely a stfu moment. Sad truth is that if there's a potential of a criminal complaint against you, you should never talk to police or make statements right away.

I've instructed my daughter the same. She has reached driving age and I've told her explicitly that if she's ever in an accident, is pulled over, or has any other issue like that, she should make no statements admitting guilt to any party (and certainly not the police) and that she should never under any circumstances consent to a search of her person, her vehicle, or her cell phone and that she is to explicitly state that she does not consent to any search, that she has been instructed by me not to make statements to police or anyone without the presence of her father and/or an attorney. She's still a minor obviously. I've explained that it's not a distrust of the police but rather a distrust of the system and politically-motivated prosecuting attorneys. I have also explained that it is perfectly reasonable to take a pause to collect one's thoughts before making a statement. And that pause may or may not need to be to speak with an attorney, but in any case, it's ok to tell the police that you need to take that pause to speak to a parent or an attorney before making a statement and that they have to respect your wishes at that point.

Back to this case, hope the guy gets himself a good attorney and pleads down, because the charges against him look pretty bad.
INOR

Postby mrp on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:20 pm

He was charged with:

Subd. 2.Unintentional murders. Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:
(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting;

Can someone parse this for me?

He's charged with:

>causing the death of a human being.

OK

> without intent to effect the death of any person

OK - He was trying to stop the threat.

>while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense

This I don't understand.
mrp

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 pm

mrp wrote:He was charged with:
>while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense

This I don't understand.

That part escapes me too.

A couple questions I have.
1) If he had a carry permit, how come he had to go back to his car to retrieve it?

2) I wonder what role the victims race/ethnicity will play in all this?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Randygmn on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Whoa, better read this.
2 things:
The permit holder said the “assailant” grabbed his gun. I wonder if there are fingerprints. That could be helpful to him.
But- what’s crazy...as part of the criminal complaint the prosecutor mentions that on the permit holders car he has a bumper sticker that says “gun control is hitting your target”. Speechless. That’s the problem with anti gun prosecutors.
Randygmn

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Randygmn wrote:Whoa, better read this.
2 things:
The permit holder said the “assailant” grabbed his gun. I wonder if there are fingerprints. That could be helpful to him.
But- what’s crazy...as part of the criminal complaint the prosecutor mentions that on the permit holders car he has a bumper sticker that says “gun control is hitting your target”. Speechless. That’s the problem with anti gun prosecutors.

"Goes to state of mind your honor. While the "victim", who may have tested positive for illegal substances, was clearly turning his life around."
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Ghost wrote:
xd ED wrote:

I expect not.

Is my window sticker subtle enough?

Probably not many anti-gunners that would get this. They probably will just think you can't make it to the finish line on a 26.2.
Holland&Holland

Postby mrp on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 pm

Ghost wrote:Is my window sticker subtle enough?

Surprised nobody has done this to it yet...

mrp

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:49 pm

^^^^^^^ now that's funny ^^^^^^^
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 pm

mrp wrote:
Ghost wrote:Is my window sticker subtle enough?

Surprised nobody has done this to it yet...

Nobody wants to give me that much credit ;)
Ghost

Postby INOR on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:46 am

I won’t put any gun related stickers on my vehicles. Just makes your vehicle a target when parked outside gun free zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Stugotz on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:13 am

INOR wrote:I won’t put any gun related stickers on my vehicles. Just makes your vehicle a target when parked outside gun free zones.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition, my view is that it advertises the fact that your unattended vehicle might have gun (or guns) in it and some lowlife (with no one in the immediate vicinity) may feel it's worth the risk to break in and steel them. In addition to what ever else you may have it there.
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Next

Return to In The News