Florida shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz: Guns, depression and

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Florida shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz: Guns, depression and

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Watching world news tonight. They asked how he was able to buy the rifle. Response was,”He fell through the cracks”. Seems that crack gets bigger by the day. Also asked why the FBI didn’t follow up on a post on a web page that he was going to be a professional school shooter. FBI response,” they could find the person who posted it”. WTF?

He wasn't allowed on school property with a backpack because they were so concerned with him. The FBI was apparently too busy creating a case against Trump.
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:04 pm

INOR wrote:The answer is maybe. But nobody fabricated a story. The news reported that the leader of this Florida pro white nationalist group came forward and claimed Cruz was associated with them. That’s true. He did make a statement claiming him. The investigators are now trying to confirm the connection, which, as Ghost points out, they haven’t yet been able to confirm that guy’s claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The media could have questioned the odds of a Floridian with the last name or Cruz being a white supremacist. Would have been an entertaining story.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 pm

win_fcs wrote:Interesting read
HOW RELEASE OF MENTAL PATIENTS BEGAN
Published: October 30, 1984
NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/30/scien ... wanted=all
Long but worth reading in my opinion.

Thank you. Interesting read.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:22 pm

win_fcs wrote:Interesting read
HOW RELEASE OF MENTAL PATIENTS BEGAN
Published: October 30, 1984
NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/30/scien ... wanted=all
Long but worth reading in my opinion.

Wow. Don’t know what else to say.
Bearcatrp

Postby greenfarmer on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:58 am

In my opinion, and this is just the opinion of a dumb farmer. But, if I was higher up in government, other than just a township supervisor, I'd be all over the FBI on this one. I'd want answers from them. How can someone report this kid, for making comments on a YouTube page, and the FBI say they can't find him? If you ask me, they totally dropped the ball on this! They found the guy who reported it, and sat down and talked with him. But yet couldn't find this kid? There's always a digital fingerprint on everything!

You can't tell me they couldn't located him! They are the FBI! Then know when and where we last used a public restroom! In my opinion, they just blew it off as someone just playing a keyboard warrior, and let it go in one ear, and out the other.

Maybe we need to start up a section in the FBI to monitor social media for things like that. And they should be monitoring it. Some deranged person in the middle of nowhere starts to make comments like this kid made on social media, then 30 minutes later a half dozen unmarked black vehicles should be pulling up to that persons place and telling that individual they need to have a talk.

I am as sick of these tragedies as everyone else. But people need to realize, that the tool used isn't the problem, the individual is. And the signs are usually there in advance. So let's find a way to identify them, and stop this before it starts.

It sounds like the school already knew this kid had problems. Wasn't allowed there with a backpack. But yet, did the police know? Did the FBI know? Did the NICS dept know? It sure doesn't sound like it! Plenty of red flags for over a year now, that should have not allowed him to purchase a gun. But yet, he was able to. This information never made it anywhere other than the school district.

There is plenty of other directions the blame should be going. And not just directly towards gun laws.
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:28 am

greenfarmer wrote:In my opinion, and this is just the opinion of a dumb farmer. But, if I was higher up in government, other than just a township supervisor, I'd be all over the FBI on this one. I'd want answers from them. How can someone report this kid, for making comments on a YouTube page, and the FBI say they can't find him? If you ask me, they totally dropped the ball on this! They found the guy who reported it, and sat down and talked with him. But yet couldn't find this kid? There's always a digital fingerprint on everything!

You can't tell me they couldn't located him! They are the FBI! Then know when and where we last used a public restroom! In my opinion, they just blew it off as someone just playing a keyboard warrior, and let it go in one ear, and out the other.

Maybe we need to start up a section in the FBI to monitor social media for things like that. And they should be monitoring it. Some deranged person in the middle of nowhere starts to make comments like this kid made on social media, then 30 minutes later a half dozen unmarked black vehicles should be pulling up to that persons place and telling that individual they need to have a talk.

I am as sick of these tragedies as everyone else. But people need to realize, that the tool used isn't the problem, the individual is. And the signs are usually there in advance. So let's find a way to identify them, and stop this before it starts.

It sounds like the school already knew this kid had problems. Wasn't allowed there with a backpack. But yet, did the police know? Did the FBI know? Did the NICS dept know? It sure doesn't sound like it! Plenty of red flags for over a year now, that should have not allowed him to purchase a gun. But yet, he was able to. This information never made it anywhere other than the school district.

There is plenty of other directions the blame should be going. And not just directly towards gun laws.

To address a couple points

The school district has a policy to not report to police.

The FBI is always able to scrub the social media of these types relatively quickly. They should have been able to track down the IP address and have a talk with him.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:33 am

Ok, guys, being a Monday morning quarterback is easy, but be careful what you ask for.

This is a very sad situation, and my heart and prayers go out to the families of the deceased and injured. It is not a time for political talk, not a time to make rash decisions with consequences for years to come, that needs to come from thoughtful discourse with a clear head and using logic not emotion.

It is very easy to look at this situation, see the outcome and state, this individual should not have been allowed to have guns but remember the context and what you are asking for.

So, a guy comes home from Iraq, voluntarily seeks counseling, should we take all his guns away?

So a guy gets divorced, losses his job, maybe drinks a bit more than he should, sees the doc, gets some anti-depression meds, should we take the 1/2 of the guns he has left away?

So, FBI builds a data base and determines who they feel is not mentally stable enough or gun ownership, Chelsea Clinton happens to be in the presidency, you happen to be a self proclaimed libertarian, are you on that list? Maybe.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:39 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/code-red-despite-preparations-no-one-was-ready-for-what-happened-at-douglas-high/2018/02/15/50862852-1294-11e8-9065-e55346f6de81_story.html?utm_term=.3d507700f867

"Back at the school, police began to clear classrooms, scooping up the wounded and leaving the dead. Students evacuated past bodies of their teachers and classmates, both inside and outside the building.

Nathanael Clark — who’d heard a girl pleading for help outside his classroom’s locked door — left that classroom at last. He saw a girl’s body outside. He wondered if it was the girl he had heard.

In the classroom where Mackenzie Hill had been hiding, police broke through the door. As the officers were guiding students out, they noticed something odd: One of the students had put on a bulletproof vest.

The student said he’d been given the vest by his father, a police officer.

Even in the safest city in Florida, he’d brought it to school with him, just in case."
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:42 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Ok, guys, being a Monday morning quarterback is easy, but be careful what you ask for.

This is a very sad situation, and my heart and prayers go out to the families of the deceased and injured. It is not a time for political talk, not a time to make rash decisions with consequences for years to come, that needs to come from thoughtful discourse with a clear head and using logic not emotion.

It is very easy to look at this situation, see the outcome and state, this individual should not have been allowed to have guns but remember the context and what you are asking for.

So, a guy comes home from Iraq, voluntarily seeks counseling, should we take all his guns away?

So a guy gets divorced, losses his job, maybe drinks a bit more than he should, sees the doc, gets some anti-depression meds, should we take the 1/2 of the guns he has left away?

So, FBI builds a data base and determines who they feel is not mentally stable enough or gun ownership, Chelsea Clinton happens to be in the presidency, you happen to be a self proclaimed libertarian, are you on that list? Maybe.

No, no and no.

How about the instances of this:
Kid expelled from school and not allowed on campus with a backpack, should that be ignored?

Kid goes online and threatens to shoot up a school, his comments were reported to the FBI, should that be ignored?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 am

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Ok, guys, being a Monday morning quarterback is easy, but be careful what you ask for.

No, no and no.

Kid expelled from school and not allowed on campus with a backpack, should that be ignored?

Kid goes online and threatens to shoot up a school, his comments were reported to the FBI, should that be ignored?

My point is how are you going to determine who should and should not be allowed a gun? Anyone who has made threatening comments on line? Better get started because you have allot of confiscation work to start doing.

How many years after expulsion from school is one not allowed a gun? I know a kid of a friend who had an issue with some policies the private school her parents were paying for and took her protest too far, got expelled and had to finish using the MN virtual high school. That kid is now in Boston College. I doubt she is a threat to anyone unless you are a competitive swimmer at the college level.

Look, obviously many things went wrong here, and it is sad. I am just saying be careful when you state that there should be a law that prevented this from happening. Remember, shooting up a school and murder are already addressed.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

No, no and no.

My point is how are you going to determine who should and should not be allowed a gun? Anyone who has made threatening comments on line? Better get started because you have allot of confiscation work to start doing.

How many years after expulsion from school is one not allowed a gun? I know a kid of a friend who had an issue with some policies the private school her parents were paying for and took her protest too far, got expelled and had to finish using the MN virtual high school. That kid is now in Boston College. I doubt she is a threat to anyone unless you are a competitive swimmer at the college level.

Look, obviously many things went wrong here, and it is sad. I am just saying be careful when you state that there should be a law that prevented this from happening. Remember, shooting up a school and murder are already addressed.

I didn't say there should be a law. I pretty much agree with you.

The laws in place would have worked fine. It seems there's plenty on him that could have gotten him adjudicated mentally ill and that's the standard for this. He was ignored until he took Uber to a school, shot a couple people, pulled the fire alarm and shot some more.

Think of all the stories of people being swatted, cops go in guns blazing, dogs shot and children flashbanged, on an anonymous call. In this instance a Youtuber was concerned and contacted the FBI, he's also the only one that earned a visit.

This d-bag claims he was hearing voices and they told him to go shoot up the school.
Ghost

Postby greenfarmer on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:15 am

Ghost wrote:

No, no and no.

That's what I take issue with. It almost seems as though the FBI ignored it. Atleast that's how it feels to me.

And his social media posts. Things he had said. Then knowing he wasn't supposed to be allowed back on school grounds with a backpack. Yet, he walked in with a backpack, and set off a fire alarm? So if all of this information is known now, why wasn't the local PD keeping a closer eye on him?

There are far more important things here that need to be looked at, before we consider any sort of gun control, regulations or restrictions.

People may disagree with me about this. But social media should be constantly monitored by the government! There should be a database of keywords, that as soon as one is used, it pops up at the FBI or ATF, and instantly it's being looked into. Many of these tragedies have some sort of mention or sign before they happen. We always seem to find out after the fact that it was mentioned earlier. There was a warning sign of it.

Then, once those comments are made, that's it. Guns should be gone. Because if you can sit and threaten to take someone's life like that, you should be disqualified from owning a gun. And be immediately enrolled into a program for help.

There are keywords in all of these arguments. The guy that just recently gets divorced, it's a legit arguement. But, what if the only reason he seeks out a counselor, is because he's looking for answers about what he did wrong. Not because he's angry she left, he just wants someone to talk to about it, wants confidentiality, isn't depressed, just needs that ear to vent to? Doesn't use a single keyword that would alarm anyone that he would carry anything violent out. But then there is the guy who uses certain keywords. These are the things that need to be researched, and worked on. And worked into the mental health, along with the FBI and ATF, and NICS.

But, I would also consider looking at an age restriction on AR's. Kids now, aren't as responsible as we were when we were kids. I see it all of the time. Gosh, now the local FD wants new trucks because the neighboring FD gets a new one. Or because the older one they want to replace is a manual, and new firemen don't know how to drive a manual transmission. The younger generation today, is different than we were. And the responsibility isn't there anymore that it once was. Neither are the values or upbringings we once had.

People are raised different now. When I was younger, I loved to party. But was scared to death about drinking a beer or two at a party, and then driving, not because I was worried about getting caught. But because I was worried about getting into an accident and hurting someone else. Now, people don't care anymore. People drink and drive, do massive amounts of drugs and drive. Society has a whole different set of values today than they did 30-40 years ago.

The whole world went from a more of a humanitarian place, caring about one another, and wanting to do something to help others and make the world a better place, to now being a place of "it's all about me". It's a sad state in society now compared to what it was earlier.
greenfarmer

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:23 am

Mkes you wonder if the FBI let it go so Trump can have another bloodshed on his record. Pretty much known the FBI doesn't like trump. Can't tell me they could not find the source of that posting. They can find terrorists fast, why not this guy? Pretty sure the FBI snoops in all social media sites. Probably using key words to sniff, then flag anything that meets the words for them to check it out.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:34 am

greenfarmer wrote:
Ghost wrote:

No, no and no.

That's what I take issue with. It almost seems as though the FBI ignored it. Atleast that's how it feels to me.

And his social media posts. Things he had said. Then knowing he wasn't supposed to be allowed back on school grounds with a backpack. Yet, he walked in with a backpack, and set off a fire alarm? So if all of this information is known now, why wasn't the local PD keeping a closer eye on him?

There are far more important things here that need to be looked at, before we consider any sort of gun control, regulations or restrictions.

People may disagree with me about this. But social media should be constantly monitored by the government! There should be a database of keywords, that as soon as one is used, it pops up at the FBI or ATF, and instantly it's being looked into. Many of these tragedies have some sort of mention or sign before they happen. We always seem to find out after the fact that it was mentioned earlier. There was a warning sign of it.

Then, once those comments are made, that's it. Guns should be gone. Because if you can sit and threaten to take someone's life like that, you should be disqualified from owning a gun. And be immediately enrolled into a program for help.

There are keywords in all of these arguments. The guy that just recently gets divorced, it's a legit arguement. But, what if the only reason he seeks out a counselor, is because he's looking for answers about what he did wrong. Not because he's angry she left, he just wants someone to talk to about it, wants confidentiality, isn't depressed, just needs that ear to vent to? Doesn't use a single keyword that would alarm anyone that he would carry anything violent out. But then there is the guy who uses certain keywords. These are the things that need to be researched, and worked on. And worked into the mental health, along with the FBI and ATF, and NICS.

But, I would also consider looking at an age restriction on AR's. Kids now, aren't as responsible as we were when we were kids. I see it all of the time. Gosh, now the local FD wants new trucks because the neighboring FD gets a new one. Or because the older one they want to replace is a manual, and new firemen don't know how to drive a manual transmission. The younger generation today, is different than we were. And the responsibility isn't there anymore that it once was. Neither are the values or upbringings we once had.

People are raised different now. When I was younger, I loved to party. But was scared to death about drinking a beer or two at a party, and then driving, not because I was worried about getting caught. But because I was worried about getting into an accident and hurting someone else. Now, people don't care anymore. People drink and drive, do massive amounts of drugs and drive. Society has a whole different set of values today than they did 30-40 years ago.

The whole world went from a more of a humanitarian place, caring about one another, and wanting to do something to help others and make the world a better place, to now being a place of "it's all about me". It's a sad state in society now compared to what it was earlier.

I can not disagree with you more. I believe in freedom, not socialism.
Holland&Holland

Postby greenfarmer on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:41 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Mkes you wonder if the FBI let it go so Trump can have another bloodshed on his record. Pretty much known the FBI doesn't like trump. Can't tell me they could not find the source of that posting. They can find terrorists fast, why not this guy? Pretty sure the FBI snoops in all social media sites. Probably using key words to sniff, then flag anything that meets the words for them to check it out.

That's what stinks to high heaven about this whole thing. They can find terrorists, they can find anyone they want, in a relatively short period of time. But they couldn't find this kid? He was posting stuff on social media. Living in the area. His mom passed away months ago, and it was documented who he was living with. But yet they couldn't find him?

That's why I say...... someone dropped the ball on this one! Someone really screwed up. And now 17 are dead because of it. It's not the guns fault. It's not the magazines fault. It's not the ammunitions fault. It's the fault of someone else, not doing their job, or being to lazy or complacent.
greenfarmer

PreviousNext

Return to In The News