Florida shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz: Guns, depression and

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Florida shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz: Guns, depression and

Postby BigBlue on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:22 pm

win_fcs wrote:
BigBlue wrote:Keep pointing out to anyone who spouts the "need more gun control" line that we need to change the mindset and behavior of the people committing the evil act. That is the root of the problem. Only by resolving the issues that lead people to do these things will they end. People who care so hard and "want something done" must be switched over to pursuing the behavior, not the tool.

BB

What I heard is that he quit going to counseling before he bought the AR. Also, there is no method (db)?? for a Dr to report an unstable person. As far as Social Media, wouln't that be monitoring our free speech?. Not sure how that would fly. Do we need the gov to watching our FB posts???

Did you intend to quote someone else's post? Because your comments don't seem to relate to mine. Nothing I said has anything to do with evaluating someone's mental state and their ability to buy a gun. I'm saying that as a society we need to find a way to avoid people getting to the mindset where they decide to kill people.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:39 pm

win_fcs wrote:What I heard is that he quit going to counseling before he bought the AR. Also, there is no method (db)?? for a Dr to report an unstable person. As far as Social Media, wouln't that be monitoring our free speech?. Not sure how that would fly. Do we need the gov to watching our FB posts???

As far as social media, you are free to make threats online. You also may have visitors based on those threats. If credible, those threats can get you in some trouble.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Reporting that he was part of a white nationalist movement in Florida. Some KKK type of para-military wannabe organization. Their leader said Cruz had signed up for and done some training with them, but that they had no idea he was going to do this. And reporting now that Cruz' instagram profile where he was known as "Nikolas Annihilator" had a MAGA hat prominently displayed in the avatar. Of course, I'm sure that one had nothing to do with the other, but the media should enjoy making a ****-show out of that.
INOR

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:33 pm

INOR wrote:Reporting that he was part of a white nationalist movement in Florida. Some KKK type of para-military wannabe organization. Their leader said Cruz had signed up for and done some training with them, but that they had no idea he was going to do this. And reporting now that Cruz' instagram profile where he was known as "Nikolas Annihilator" had a MAGA hat prominently displayed in the avatar. Of course, I'm sure that one had nothing to do with the other, but the media should enjoy making a ****-show out of that.

Should I assume he didn’t shoot any white people?
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:50 pm

win_fcs wrote:
BigBlue wrote:Keep pointing out to anyone who spouts the "need more gun control" line that we need to change the mindset and behavior of the people committing the evil act. That is the root of the problem. Only by resolving the issues that lead people to do these things will they end. People who care so hard and "want something done" must be switched over to pursuing the behavior, not the tool.

BB

What I heard is that he quit going to counseling before he bought the AR. Also, there is no method (db)?? for a Dr to report an unstable person. As far as Social Media, wouln't that be monitoring our free speech?. Not sure how that would fly. Do we need the gov to watching our FB posts???

Do you have a Constitutional right to social media?
Isn't FaceBook, and YouTube someone's private property?

I'm pretty sure that on this forum there are standards to adhere to.
And as far as 'monitoring', if you post something on the internet, isn't it your intention that it be read?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby INOR on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Ghost wrote:
INOR wrote:Reporting that he was part of a white nationalist movement in Florida. Some KKK type of para-military wannabe organization. Their leader said Cruz had signed up for and done some training with them, but that they had no idea he was going to do this. And reporting now that Cruz' instagram profile where he was known as "Nikolas Annihilator" had a MAGA hat prominently displayed in the avatar. Of course, I'm sure that one had nothing to do with the other, but the media should enjoy making a ****-show out of that.

Should I assume he didn’t shoot any white people?

No idea. Just reporting latest facts that I've read. We'll learn the identities of all 17 people soon enough and we can leave it to the professionals to assess this psycho's motivations.
INOR

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:29 pm

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/02/15/florida-school-shooting-suspect-nikolas-cruz-member-white-nationalist-militia-tallahassee-leader-say/341751002/

Local law enforcement sources have so far not found a connection between accused Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz and a Tallahassee-based paramilitary group.

Leon County law enforcement sources told the Tallahassee Democrat that they could not find information linking Cruz, 19, to the Republic of Florida Militia, as first reported by the group’s self-proclaimed leader Jordan Jereb.

Looks like all the major news outlets decided running with Fake News was a good idea.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 pm

See, therein lies the problem with calling things "fake news." What has been reported is that this white nationalist organization claimed him as their own. That is news. Now it may well be debunked, as they may find no connection and it could be entirely that this Jereb guy is grandstanding and trying to leverage the tragedy for attention for his white nationalist organization, but that remains to be seen. In the meantime, it's definitely reportable news that they claimed him.
INOR

Postby win_fcs on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:17 pm

I am confused. Is somebody lying or did some media outlet just fabricate a story??????????
win_fcs

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm

INOR wrote:See, therein lies the problem with calling things "fake news." What has been reported is that this white nationalist organization claimed him as their own. That is news. Now it may well be debunked, as they may find no connection and it could be entirely that this Jereb guy is grandstanding and trying to leverage the tragedy for attention for his white nationalist organization, but that remains to be seen. In the meantime, it's definitely reportable news that they claimed him.

They seem pretty concrete on it

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/02/15/school-shooter-has-ties-white-nationalist-group-participated-paramilitary-training
Report: School Shooter Has Ties to White Nationalist Group, Participated in Training

http://time.com/5160819/parkland-shooter-nikolas-cruz-was-a-member-of-white-supremacist-group/
Accused Parkland Shooter Nikolas Cruz Was a Member of White Supremacist Group
Ghost

Florida shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz: Guns, depression and

Postby INOR on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm

The answer is maybe. But nobody fabricated a story. The news reported that the leader of this Florida pro white nationalist group came forward and claimed Cruz was associated with them. That’s true. He did make a statement claiming him. The investigators are now trying to confirm the connection, which, as Ghost points out, they haven’t yet been able to confirm that guy’s claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by INOR on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INOR

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Let's not forget lack of knowledge in the media.

He had countless magazines - really couldn't find someone to count them?

There is absolutely no reason anyone should own an AR15 being they are identical to our militaries.

We can go on and on every time some bozo goes off the rails "we need stronger gun control" is something we hear before they even know the details. We've heard these so often I'm thinking of selling some of my more dangerous guns for fear they might break out of the safe and kill someone. Maybe I keep the ammo too close to the gun safe??
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 pm

My SAR K2 got out of the safe the other day - I wasn't worried though- the rear sight is pretty messed up so I figured it would never be able to hit me if I kept moving..............serpentine.............. :lol:

I can't understand how anyone could try to pin this on the tool he used. All indications are that the proper authorities had plenty of time and evidence to get to this guy. Why they don't talk to these bad actors and get a handle on them, I'll never know.

Part of the issue is the Mental Health system has gone PC and does not like to "label" people or commit people like they used to. Everyone needs a 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance to make it in society.

The mid 80's saw the explosion of homeless people as the "public" (read Liberal) out cry that many mental patients rights were being violated by being held in institutions. They released a large percentage who were, evidently, unable to cope with the addictions and afflictions they had been institutionalized to have treated. These were people who were deemed to not be able to fend for themselves and, for the most part, we find out that the assessment was correct - Genie is out of the bottle by the time Society realized what had happened. Add to that the almost complete lack of Civil Commitment options, there isn't much left to get this issue under control.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Watching world news tonight. They asked how he was able to buy the rifle. Response was,”He fell through the cracks”. Seems that crack gets bigger by the day. Also asked why the FBI didn’t follow up on a post on a web page that he was going to be a professional school shooter. FBI response,” they could find the person who posted it”. WTF?
Bearcatrp

Postby win_fcs on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Interesting read
HOW RELEASE OF MENTAL PATIENTS BEGAN
Published: October 30, 1984
NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/30/scien ... wanted=all
Long but worth reading in my opinion.
win_fcs

PreviousNext

Return to In The News