President Trump signs memo to take action on bump stocks

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: President Trump signs memo to take action on bump stocks

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:The scary part is if they ban one thing, will they keep going unto something else? These idiot anti gun groups will not stop until all guns are banned. Now I don’t have a problem raising the age to the same to purchase a hand gun. But they need to fix the current issue of letting idiots fall through the cracks and doing mass killings.

Just looked this up. ATF description of a machine gun...
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-g ... initions-0

How did bump stocks get approved? After reading this, I think ATF screwed up.

How did they not get approved? You do understand how they work correct?

Hand raised, can I answer?
Ghost

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am

Lumpy wrote:Oh well, I'm waiting until 3D-printing advances enough that they can make a serviceable receiver. Then you'll just need the fabber you bought at Menards, a hack to bypass the snitchware the government will doubtless mandate be installed in them, and gun blueprints off a dark web site. Then either the government will give up the way it gave up on trying to ban bathtub gin, or else we'll have an unwinnable "War on Guns" forever.

Cody at Defense Distributed has got your back.
Jack's My dog

Postby BigBlue on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:51 am

Given the wording of his directive I think he's probably just telling DOJ to "confirm what we all know, that a machine gun is something where multiple rounds fire with a single actuation of the trigger". Which will then leave the decision of whether to specifically outlaw a bump stock to lawmakers.

Doing this he can say to the antis: "See, I'm doing something." while not actually making any changes himself. Marginally better than "Screw you, we all know it isn't a machine gun so get off my back."

BB
BigBlue

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:05 pm

BigBlue wrote:Given the wording of his directive I think he's probably just telling DOJ to "confirm what we all know, that a machine gun is something where multiple rounds fire with a single actuation of the trigger". Which will then leave the decision of whether to specifically outlaw a bump stock to lawmakers.

Doing this he can say to the antis: "See, I'm doing something." while not actually making any changes himself. Marginally better than "Screw you, we all know it isn't a machine gun so get off my back."

BB

Marginally nicer but I'd argue not better
Ghost

Postby INOR on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Good read. Guess we will have to wait and see what Sessions next move is.
INOR

President Trump signs memo to take action on bump stocks

Postby george on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Doesn't this all have to go threw Congress anyway to get enacted, otherwise Obama would have done it and anything Finestine could think up on day one. Hopefully it's jest a dog and pony show.

When personal freedom is being abused, you have to move to limit it."
- Bill Clinton
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Previous

Return to In The News