President Trump signs memo to take action on bump stocks

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

President Trump signs memo to take action on bump stocks

Postby overl001 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm

From CNN's Kevin Liptak

President Trump said he has directed Attorney General Jeff Sessions to propose changes that would ban so-called "bump stocks," which make it easier to fire rounds quicker.

"Just a few moments ago I signed a memo directing the attorney general to propose regulations that ban all devices that turn legal weapons into machine guns," Trump said at a Medal of Valor event at the White House.

"I expect these regulations to be finalized, Jeff, very soon," Trump said.

https://t.co/xfuLrtGqJv
overl001

Re: President Trump signs memo to take action on bump stocks

Postby LarryP on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:19 pm

:) Way to go!! They're not needed
LarryP

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Not sure I agree. Where does that way of thinking end?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:41 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Not sure I agree. Where does that way of thinking end?

I don't agree.

However, bumpstocks don't make semi's into machine guns.
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Memo here

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/37550185/full-presidential-memorandum-on-bump-fire-stocks

February 20, 2018

MEMORANDUM FOR THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

SUBJECT: Application of the Definition of Machinegun to "Bump Fire" Stocks and Other Similar Devices

After the deadly mass murder in Las Vegas, Nevada, on October 1, 2017, I asked my Administration to fully review how the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives regulates bump fire stocks and similar devices.

Although the Obama Administration repeatedly concluded that particular bump stock type devices were lawful to purchase and possess, I sought further clarification of the law restricting fully automatic machineguns.

Accordingly, following established legal protocols, the Department of Justice started the process of promulgating a Federal regulation interpreting the definition of "machinegun" under Federal law to clarify whether certain bump stock type devices should be illegal. The Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking was published in the Federal Register on December 26, 2017. Public comment concluded on January 25, 2018, with the Department of Justice receiving over 100,000 comments.

Today, I am directing the Department of Justice to dedicate all available resources to complete the review of the comments received, and, as expeditiously as possible, to propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.

Although I desire swift and decisive action, I remain committed to the rule of law and to the procedures the law prescribes. Doing this the right way will ensure that the resulting regulation is workable and effective and leaves no loopholes for criminals to exploit. I would ask that you keep me regularly apprised of your progress.

You are authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.

DONALD J. TRUMP
Ghost

Postby MJY65 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:08 pm

LarryP wrote::) Way to go!! They're not needed

That sounds a lot like "You don't need an AR-15 to shoot a deer"

Outside the question of need or even practicality, I do have some mixed feelings about this one. If a device is deliberately made to circumvent a law through technicality, the manufacturers are probably on thin ice. Whether the original law is a good one is a different question.
MJY65

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:32 pm

I'm torn only because I don't, personally, have an interest in that piece of equipment and what it will enable an AR to do. However, as has been pointed out elsewhere on this board, could you argue that Hi Cap magazines or light triggers or semi- auto anything are the next target with some sort of rational that makes sense to people who just want it to go away and see no need for any of it.

Although this feels like a throw away and not worthy of defensive energy, I think we may be on the road to continuing to chip away, one rationalization at a time. Incrementalism has been used by the Left for Decades - they take the long view. Eventually they will get what they want. Only because of that, I recoil at the idea of giving in here. If I believed that the opposition was reasonable and honorable, I wouldn't be as opposed - they have proven to be neither.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:40 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I'm torn only because I don't, personally, have an interest in that piece of equipment and what it will enable an AR to do. However, as has been pointed out elsewhere on this board, could you argue that Hi Cap magazines or light triggers or semi- auto anything are the next target with some sort of rational that makes sense to people who just want it to go away and see no need for any of it.

Although this feels like a throw away and not worthy of defensive energy, I think we may be on the road to continuing to chip away, one rationalization at a time. Incrementalism has been used by the Left for Decades - they take the long view. Eventually they will get what they want. Only because of that, I recoil at the idea of giving in here. If I believed that the opposition was reasonable and honorable, I wouldn't be as opposed - they have proven to be neither.

I'm not convinced anything is lost here, however, I do think this will embolden the states to start up there bans.
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 pm

The whole idea that there are "military" and "civilian" firearms and that the former can be banned from general ownership is contradictory to the original intent of the Second Amendment. I too worry that the banners will go after semi-automatics or anything that can hold more than six rounds, speed loaders, etc. Eventually we'll be down to break-action shotguns, at least until hunting is banned as cruel and barbaric. :roll: Then you won't need guns at all. If coyotes eat your dog, call the game warden. :evil:

Oh well, I'm waiting until 3D-printing advances enough that they can make a serviceable receiver. Then you'll just need the fabber you bought at Menards, a hack to bypass the snitchware the government will doubtless mandate be installed in them, and gun blueprints off a dark web site. Then either the government will give up the way it gave up on trying to ban bathtub gin, or else we'll have an unwinnable "War on Guns" forever.
Lumpy

Postby usnret on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:05 pm

It was never proven that the Las Vegas shooter actually used any bump stocks. They were only found on guns in his room.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby linksep on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:16 pm

If he did or didn't HAS been proved... The info has just not been made public (to my knowledge). Which probably tells us all we need to know...
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Mark my words, this is just the crack in the armor that they are looking for. This is no different than banning spoilers on cars due to drunk driving.

My real concern is how this is worded. Ban anything that makes a machine gun? Does that mean they will determine that this is now a machine gun? What else will be banned? Jerry Michilicks fingers? Belts? And if it does make it a machine gun should it not then fall into the class 3 tax stamp category rather than a ban? Or is that going away now too.

I hope some folks help Trump think this through.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:30 pm

The scary part is if they ban one thing, will they keep going unto something else? These idiot anti gun groups will not stop until all guns are banned. Now I don’t have a problem raising the age to the same to purchase a hand gun. But they need to fix the current issue of letting idiots fall through the cracks and doing mass killings.

Just looked this up. ATF description of a machine gun...
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-g ... initions-0

How did bump stocks get approved? After reading this, I think ATF screwed up.
Bearcatrp

Postby INOR on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:04 am

Now Fox is reporting that Trump may be on board with raising minimum age to purchase guns to 21.
INOR

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 am

Bearcatrp wrote:The scary part is if they ban one thing, will they keep going unto something else? These idiot anti gun groups will not stop until all guns are banned. Now I don’t have a problem raising the age to the same to purchase a hand gun. But they need to fix the current issue of letting idiots fall through the cracks and doing mass killings.

Just looked this up. ATF description of a machine gun...
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-g ... initions-0

How did bump stocks get approved? After reading this, I think ATF screwed up.

How did they not get approved? You do understand how they work correct?
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to In The News