"He Never Went In": Officer On Duty Filmed "Doing Nothing"

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: "He Never Went In": Officer On Duty Filmed "Doing Nothing"

Postby LarryP on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:29 am

He should be tried as a coward & shot
LarryP

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:44 am

LarryP wrote:He should be tried as a coward & shot

I wouldn’t go that far. The President called him a coward and everyone knows his name. His internal struggle will be a rough one.

To that point though. One of the radio process discussing why teachers should be armed. The teachers bond with the kids, they know them and treat them like family. Teachers likely have more motivation to protect them than the random officer of the day.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:09 am

I went to John Lott's lecture last night.
Based on his statistical analysis of mass shootings, he wasn't in favor of uniformed police, or even the 'resource officer' approach, as these are the first people attacked.
He said the best deterrent has proven to be the 'unknown' that a randomly armed presence (i.e. school staff) presents.

Apparently there is much known that is not published about the perpetrators, and their methodology.
He presented that most of these shooters spent weeks, to months planning their attacks, and chose their targets according to the known threats, starting with 'gun free zone' designations, and readily identifiable security.

He added that a great frustration of his is that when confronting the media- editors, and publishers- about the exclusion of one characteristic of every mass shooting he's studied is that they are always in posted/ known gun-free zones. When confronted about the ommission of such information, the media's response is that it would be "too political" to make such a statement.

On the topic of mass shootings, as defined by 4 or more casualties, staged with the intention of killing people(as opposed to robbery, etc), he demonstrated the the worst have happened outside the US, and when adjusted for population, the US is not really any different than Europe.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 am

xd ED wrote:I went to John Lott's lecture last night.
Based on his statistical analysis of mass shootings, he wasn't in favor of uniformed police, or even the 'resource officer' approach, as these are the first people attacked.
He said the best deterrent has proven to be the 'unknown' that a randomly armed presence (i.e. school staff) presents.

Apparently there is much known that is not published about the perpetrators, and their methodology.
He presented that most of these shooters spent weeks, to months planning their attacks, and chose their targets according to the known threats, starting with 'gun free zone' designations, and readily identifiable security.

He added that a great frustration of his is that when confronting the media- editors, and publishers- about the exclusion of one characteristic of every mass shooting he's studied is that they are always in posted/ known gun-free zones. When confronted about the ommission of such information, the media's response is that it would be "too political" to make such a statement.

On the topic of mass shootings, as defined by 4 or more casualties, staged with the intention of killing people(as opposed to robbery, etc), he demonstrated the the worst have happened outside the US, and when adjusted for population, the US is not really any different than Europe.

Makes a lott of sense, I agree
Ghost

Postby INOR on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Were there a bunch of anti counter protestors there? I saw some stuff on Facebook about a “vigil for the victims/anti gun protest” that was being organized outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby george on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:30 pm

It looks like they have confirmed that 4 Deputies were hiding outside during the shooting. Time to get rid of all gun free zones and offer to let the parents and friends patrol the schools.
LEO totally failed again, did I say again, YES AGAIN !

When personal freedom is being abused, you have to move to limit it."
- Bill Clinton
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 pm

xd Ed, what’d Jason Lewis have to say?
Ghost

Re:

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:40 pm

INOR wrote:Were there a bunch of anti counter protestors there? I saw some stuff on Facebook about a “vigil for the victims/anti gun protest” that was being organized outside.

Yep, lots of signs, chanting, singing, sniveling, etc.
This was anticipated by the event planners, and they specifically rented enough outdoor space to keep them away from the entrance.

Had to be at least a dozen of Lakeville's finest - all very professional, and courteous on hand, as well as street barricades.

At least one anti actually bought a ticket and was at the lecture.
This was anticipated, and the rules were read before the start, stating any one disturbing would be bounced.
The guy was polite, albeit misinformed-during the Q & A he asked if/ how semiautomatic rifles and assault weapons would play in the armed defense of schools.

It was made pretty obvious by Dr Lott that this guy knew little more about the topic than the words in the question he was reading.

While this wasn't a book selling tour, when asked, he recommended his latest work as being most relevant to current events.
I plan on reading it.

ETA typo corrections
Last edited by xd ED on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Ghost wrote:xd Ed, what’d Jason Lewis have to say?

sadly, he wasn't there.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby INOR on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 pm

xd ED wrote:

sadly, he wasn't there.

Lewis is getting a serious bad rep for not showing up. His seat is going to end up in jeopardy.

INOR

Re:

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm

INOR wrote:
xd ED wrote:

sadly, he wasn't there.

Lewis is getting a serious bad rep for not showing up. His seat is going to end up in jeopardy.

As I recall, while he was on the billing, there was a caveat that he might not be able to attend; I think because he was in DC.

Did he deliberately not show?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Lumpy on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:The entire Broward County Sheriff’s department needs to go.

Any jokes out there yet about replacing the "Br" in the name with "C"?
Lumpy

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:16 pm

xd ED wrote:

sadly, he wasn't there.

Would have been nice to hear him after Lott
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Ghost wrote:
xd ED wrote:

sadly, he wasn't there.

Would have been nice to hear him after Lott

It was disappointing; he's a pretty dynamic speaker... and thinking about it, his absence wasn't mentioned.
He was scheduled to speak from 730- 8; and Lott from 8 - 9
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:40 pm

xd ED wrote:
It was disappointing; he's a pretty dynamic speaker... and thinking about it, his absence wasn't mentioned.
He was scheduled to speak from 730- 8; and Lott from 8 - 9

I thought when I looked it up Lewis was after him. I didn’t know about it or I’d have tried to go.
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to In The News