Dick's sporting goods

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Dick's sporting goods

Postby INOR on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:51 am

They're immediately ceasing sales of "assault weapons" and hicap mags. CEO cites social conscience and that they are prepared for political backlash, but never selling them again.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/28/d ... in-stores/
INOR

Re: Dick's sporting goods

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:05 am

Again? I thought they did this already once after Sandyhook? I have never seen an AR in any of their stores around here, just a pitiful selection of rifles and shotguns, but I rarely shop their for anything. Usually just end up browsing when the wife wants to go shop for a workout outfit.
Holland&Holland

Postby Scratch on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:05 am

I thought they stopped selling "assault weapons" a few years ago. Maybe now it's "hap cap" mags...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby INOR on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:06 am

yep, but apparently not in their "field and stream" line of stores.
INOR

Postby Randygmn on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:13 am

After Sandy Hook they stopped selling them in the Dick stores. I believe they were available on line to be shipped to an FFL in addition to field and stream stores. Now they are stopping all sales, hi cap mags and breaking the law by discriminating by age by refusing to sell any firearm, including rifles and shotguns, to anyone under 21. Don’t think they can do that.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 am

I will continue to not shop there.

Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:18 am

Randygmn wrote:After Sandy Hook they stopped selling them in the Dick stores. I believe they were available on line to be shipped to an FFL in addition to field and stream stores. Now they are stopping all sales, hi cap mags and breaking the law by discriminating by age by refusing to sell any firearm, including rifles and shotguns, to anyone under 21. Don’t think they can do that.

So why would anyone buy an AR on line from Dicks and ship it to an FFL and pay that fee? I doubt they sold many after the shortage and cazyness subsided.

I do believe they can establish age limits for their sales such as this. You do realize that the whole of the rental care industry does not rent to person's under age 25?
Holland&Holland

Postby MJY65 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:21 am

Randygmn wrote: Now they are stopping all sales, hi cap mags and breaking the law by discriminating by age by refusing to sell any firearm, including rifles and shotguns, to anyone under 21. Don’t think they can do that.

Not a lawyer, but I don't think that is a protected age class.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Randygmn wrote:After Sandy Hook they stopped selling them in the Dick stores. I believe they were available on line to be shipped to an FFL in addition to field and stream stores. Now they are stopping all sales, hi cap mags and breaking the law by discriminating by age by refusing to sell any firearm, including rifles and shotguns, to anyone under 21. Don’t think they can do that.

So why would anyone buy an AR on line from Dicks and ship it to an FFL and pay that fee? I doubt they sold many after the shortage and cazyness subsided.

I do believe they can establish age limits for their sales such as this. You do realize that the whole of the rental care industry does not rent to person's under age 25?

I rented cars while under 25.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 am

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

I rented cars while under 25.

Without paying and underage driver fee?

How about under 21?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:47 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

How about under 21?

My company paid the fees.

https://www.hertz.com/blog/automotive/five-things-car-renters-under-25-should-know

How old do I need to be to rent a car?

To rent a car you typically need to be at least 20 years old. However, it varies. While most car rental companies rent to drivers age 20-years old and above, every rental car company has their own policy. Some car rental companies base their rental age on state regulations. For example, Michigan and New York have a minimum rental age requirement of 18 years old, while Mississippi is 21 years old. Others set their own company standards for young renters and clearly state that on their website. In addition to meeting the age requirements of the rental company, young drivers will need a valid driver’s license and a credit card in the driver’s name.

Is there an additional under 25 rental fee?

Yes. The rental rate is the same no matter the age of the renter – however a Young Renter daily fee is added to the reservation of anyone under 25. This fee protects the rental car company from high risk drivers. Statistically, drivers under 25 years old are more likely to be involved in an accident, so rental car companies add the additional fee to help protect themselves from the added risk they are assuming.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

How about under 21?

My company paid the fees.

https://www.hertz.com/blog/automotive/five-things-car-renters-under-25-should-know

How old do I need to be to rent a car?

To rent a car you typically need to be at least 20 years old. However, it varies. While most car rental companies rent to drivers age 20-years old and above, every rental car company has their own policy. Some car rental companies base their rental age on state regulations. For example, Michigan and New York have a minimum rental age requirement of 18 years old, while Mississippi is 21 years old. Others set their own company standards for young renters and clearly state that on their website. In addition to meeting the age requirements of the rental company, young drivers will need a valid driver’s license and a credit card in the driver’s name.

Is there an additional under 25 rental fee?

Yes. The rental rate is the same no matter the age of the renter – however a Young Renter daily fee is added to the reservation of anyone under 25. This fee protects the rental car company from high risk drivers. Statistically, drivers under 25 years old are more likely to be involved in an accident, so rental car companies add the additional fee to help protect themselves from the added risk they are assuming.

So per RandyMN you were discriminated against. Sorry.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:

I think it is BS they do it but on the other hand it works the other way when my four year old gets a children’s rate and I pay an adult rate for something.

But, there’s also no amendment for driving a car.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

I think it is BS they do it but on the other hand it works the other way when my four year old gets a children’s rate and I pay an adult rate for something.

But, there’s also no amendment for driving a car.

True. But their is no amendment stating that they have to sell anyone anything. Not saying I agree with the age restriction as I do not. I really could care less if Dicks goes the way of Gouger Mountain to be honest. I just doubt that there is any regulation that would restrict them from restricting the age they sell firearms to.
Holland&Holland

Postby brad3579 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:52 pm

What is Dick's Sporting Goods?
brad3579

Next

Return to In The News