REI stops selling major outdoor brand with NRA ties

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby xd ED on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:50 pm

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/02/rei-stops-selling-major-outdoor-brand-with-nra-ties/
CamelBak water bottles, Bell bicycle helmets, Giro ski goggles – what these products have in common is that they’re owned by Vista Outdoor, which includes gun and ammo makers among its brands as well as a strong National Rifle Association connection.

And that’s part of the reason REI, a nationwide outdoor retailer and consumer co-op, announced Thursday evening that it would, for the time being, no longer be ordering CamelBak, Bell, Giro or any other of the 50 Vista Outdoor brands to sell in its stores.

I wonder if they'll stop selling knives.

I've been a member 40+ years, and have their credit card.

If I could find my membership card, I'd cut that up, along with my CC, and send both back.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: REI stops selling major outdoor brand with NRA ties

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:53 pm

awesome another place I like to spend money that I won't have to spend money at anymore.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Ghost wrote:awesome another place I like to spend money that I won't have to spend money at anymore.

Always been a love hate thing with REI for me;
a handy place to check out stuff before buying, but the employees are annoying as can be.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LarryP on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:19 pm

This is out of control
LarryP

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:26 pm

I can't remember what I went there for the last time I went to REI. All I remember is thinking how all the precious little liberal snowflakes would vapor lock if they knew what I had on my hip. :twisted:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Isn't REI a clothing store for urban hipsters?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Isn't REI a clothing store for urban hipsters?

that's been my opinion of most of their outerwear.

I spent more than a few bucks on paddling accessories over the past few years; lot of stuff you don't find local retail usually.

There will be other places to shop; Midwest Mountaineering, etc.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:28 pm

xd ED wrote:https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/02/rei-stops-selling-major-outdoor-brand-with-nra-ties/
CamelBak water bottles, Bell bicycle helmets, Giro ski goggles – what these products have in common is that they’re owned by Vista Outdoor, which includes gun and ammo makers among its brands as well as a strong National Rifle Association connection.

And that’s part of the reason REI, a nationwide outdoor retailer and consumer co-op, announced Thursday evening that it would, for the time being, no longer be ordering CamelBak, Bell, Giro or any other of the 50 Vista Outdoor brands to sell in its stores.

If I could find my membership card, I'd cut that up, along with my CC, and send both back.

If that cc can be used at other places I’d go buy a AR on it.
Sorcerer

Postby xd ED on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Sorcerer wrote:
xd ED wrote:https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/02/rei-stops-selling-major-outdoor-brand-with-nra-ties/

If that cc can be used at other places I’d go buy a AR on it.

Nah; Like my Cabela's CC, it's greatest value is when using it in house.
And like my Cabela's card, I only use it one place.
I suppose I could send a NRA membership app, or ILA donation receipt along with the sliced up card.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Give them 6-8 months and they will be back when they see how much money they are losing. Spend your hard earned money at a friendly 2A store!
Bearcatrp

Postby 2in2out on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:26 pm

They have nothing to gain for decisions like this. I don't understand it.

It's almost like they've been waiting for an excuse, no matter how flimsy it is.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 am

I will have to buy my camel back somewhere else.

Wait, do they even let me in an REI? I thought you had to be a member to shop there? I have no time for paying for memberships to shop. I can get it online cheaper.
Holland&Holland

Postby INOR on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:00 am

That’s one I’d even enjoy boycotting. Smells like hipsters in there every time I’ve been there anyways. Actually I don’t have much use for the store other than their hiking boot selection. But I’m a dedicated Keen hiking boot guy and know my size so shopping online is cool with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:11 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I will have to buy my camel back somewhere else.

Wait, do they even let me in an REI? I thought you had to be a member to shop there? I have no time for paying for memberships to shop. I can get it online cheaper.

You don’t need a membership but if you get one, one time $25 fee, you’ll get discounts which are nice for big ticket items that are generally price controlled. And they will pay you back a percentage of the money you spent.
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:12 am

INOR wrote:That’s one I’d even enjoy boycotting. Smells like hipsters in there every time I’ve been there anyways. Actually I don’t have much use for the store other than their hiking boot selection. But I’m a dedicated Keen hiking boot guy and know my size so shopping online is cool with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keen’s are one of the items I always bought there too, great boots.
Ghost

Next

Return to In The News