Vadnais Heights weapons seized

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby INOR on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:15 am

Weapons seized at Vadnais Heights home after alleged school threat; family says boy autistic, had no intent

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/02/w ... n-custody/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Vadnais Heights weapons seized

Postby MJY65 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:23 am

If that's an "arsenal" as was stated in the Star Tribune article....................
MJY65

Postby rtk on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:44 am

And so it begims.......
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby brad3579 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:55 am

weapons-cache.jpg
Just great the way they treated the firearms.
brad3579

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:58 am

Hopefully, when the publicity seeking sheriff apologizes for this over-reach, and over-reaction the truth will get the same press conference and media attention.
ETA-typo fixed.
Last edited by xd ED on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby INOR on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:11 am

Really gets down to a little parental responsibility there. If the kid made a threat, the police have to respond in some way. Then it gets down to a question on whether there is firearm access. In this case there was. People need to secure firearms even if they aren’t the evil black rifle type. Pretty basic. Entirely different response if an autistic kid makes a stupid statement but doesn’t have access because the parents were responsible and locked their **** up. Sorry guys, but if you have any kids at all these days, you need to lock your stuff up. No just throwing your long arms in closets like we did when we were young.

INOR

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 am

INOR wrote:Really gets down to a little parental responsibility there. If the kid made a threat, the police have to respond in some way. Then it gets down to a question on whether there is firearm access. In this case there was. People need to secure firearms even if they aren’t the evil black rifle type. Pretty basic. Entirely different response if an autistic kid makes a stupid statement but doesn’t have access because the parents were responsible and locked their **** up. Sorry guys, but if you have any kids at all these days, you need to lock your stuff up. No just throwing your long arms in closets like we did when we were young.

So you think the next time some wannabe gangster at Central or North throws down, the cops will raid his home?
Is it your contention autistic kids somehow present a greater hazard?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby INOR on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:45 am

No. The context of this is the kid actually threatening to shoot up the school. Cops have no choice but to react now, investigate, and take action. And what I’m saying is that, through the course of the investigation, if they find that the kid has access to guns, they will immediately assume the threat may have been credible. So lock your **** guns up if you have kids. It’s that **** simple.

INOR

Postby brad3579 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 am

INOR wrote:Really gets down to a little parental responsibility there. If the kid made a threat, the police have to respond in some way. Then it gets down to a question on whether there is firearm access. In this case there was. People need to secure firearms even if they aren’t the evil black rifle type. Pretty basic. Entirely different response if an autistic kid makes a stupid statement but doesn’t have access because the parents were responsible and locked their **** up. Sorry guys, but if you have any kids at all these days, you need to lock your stuff up. No just throwing your long arms in closets like we did when we were young.

Taking the non secured arms and taking all the arms should be two different cases.
I can agree with making sure they are locked up or at least have trigger locks.

“In the home, a cache of weapons was found along with at least one ballistic vest, thousands of rounds of ammunition and at least one explosive device,” Serier said, adding that some of the guns were not securely stored.
brad3579

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:00 am

INOR wrote:No. The context of this is the kid actually threatening to shoot up the school. Cops have no choice but to react now, investigate, and take action. And what I’m saying is that, through the course of the investigation, if they find that the kid has access to guns, they will immediately assume the threat may have been credible. So lock your **** guns up if you have kids. It’s that **** simple.

Can you source an actual threat?
The sheriff also said an explosive device was taken by the bomb squad; turns out it was a smoke generator.
Having watched this unfold in the media yesterday, with the sheriff always front and center, almost too exited to speak, this turned into more of a publicity event, than an exercise for public safety.
Why confiscate the vest?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby brad3579 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 am

xd ED wrote:So you think the next time some wannabe gangster at Central or North throws down, the cops will raid his home?

I am pretty sure that would be a violation of a wannabe gangsters civil rights. :lol:
brad3579

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:11 am

INOR wrote:No. The context of this is the kid actually threatening to shoot up the school. Cops have no choice but to react now, investigate, and take action. And what I’m saying is that, through the course of the investigation, if they find that the kid has access to guns, they will immediately assume the threat may have been credible. So lock your **** guns up if you have kids. It’s that **** simple.

I agree. I also agree with the police taking all of them out of the house. Clearly the parents didn't secure all the weapons proving themselves unable to handle the responsibility. Should they be able to get them back. The kid is only joking around until he isn't and he is wading through bodies. We can't have it both ways. Either we want a Crack down on the people who are making bad decisions or we acknowledge that all guns should be removed.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Proud history of military service blah,blah,blah. Doing a tour in the military isn't a guarantee of super hero morals and ethics.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Randygmn on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:43 am

Who the hell doesn’t lock their sh*t up nowadays. It doesn’t even have to be your kid that causes the tragedy. One of his friends can steal the guns or can be victimized by theft. I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t want my guns stolen and then used in a crime/murder. Screw that.
Randygmn

Postby harryset on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:24 am

You can bash this around all you want, but the truth is, as I see it, this situation will become the norm. Just more trashing of basic 4th amendment rights. Like the FISA courts, and NSA surveillance, the 4th will be further diluted by unconstitutional regulation, backed up by the courts. The cat was out of the bag years, if not decades ago, when the courts ruled that certain constitutional rights were subject to regulation.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:27 am

yukonjasper wrote:

I agree. I also agree with the police taking all of them out of the house. Clearly the parents didn't secure all the weapons proving themselves unable to handle the responsibility. Should they be able to get them back. The kid is only joking around until he isn't and he is wading through bodies. We can't have it both ways. Either we want a Crack down on the people who are making bad decisions or we acknowledge that all guns should be removed.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Proud history of military service blah,blah,blah. Doing a tour in the military isn't a guarantee of super hero morals and ethics.

I don't. Under what authority?

Should he have kept them locked up, yes. Is there a law against allowing a minor access to a LOADED gun? yes. Was an actual law broken here? I don't see one being reported. Did a judge order the removal of the firearms? Does not seem so. So a guy with a gun decided he was going to make his own law. That is how I see this and everyone who supports the 2nd amendment should see this for what it is and be just as disturbed.

Why did we even bother opposing the bill at the capital this week? According to this, the police already have the authority they need to seize your arms without due process.

Now don't get me wrong, I lock up every gun in my house except the one on my hip and it is locked when it is not on my hip. But I also grew up in a house where our guns where stored in a closet and never did anything with them other than go hunting or shooting. Heck I purchased my first deer rifle at 15 before I had a drivers license while out from school on open lunch time from a little thrift store (Non-FFL) in our town who happened to be selling a couple of guns. It was a very used and beat up Marlin 336 in .30-30 with a cheapo tasco scope. I think I paid $125 for it. Brought it back to school, stowed it in my locker, took it home on the school bus, and took my first deer with it that fall. Even recall showing it to the buss driver who hunted the farm next to ours. Back when I was in highschool, if you showed the teacher your deer license you were excused during deer season. And that was not that long ago.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to In The News