Social worker in Virginia fire for CCW Permit, not carrying

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Social worker in Virginia fire for CCW Permit, not carrying

Postby Randygmn on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:40 am

A social worker in Roanoke Virginia was fired for just having a CCW, not for actually carrying a gun to work.
The lawsuit here against the city is going to be epic. Fired for exercising a Constitutional right. SMH!!
I hope she bankrupts the city, and the people responsible for her firing should be arrested.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/03/ ... ry-permit/
Randygmn

Re: Social worker in Virginia fire for CCW Permit, not carrying

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 pm

So she claims. I doubt that we are getting the whole story.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby MJY65 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:12 pm

^^^^^^^^^^

I agree
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Waiting for more information.
Ghost

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:55 pm

NO way, it must be true - it's on the internet!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby ZeeC on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Here is some good info, she posted up the termination letter

https://media.wsls.com/photo/2018/03/13 ... ver1.0.jpg

From the letter she comes off as NOT a great employee... And I would assume they have detailed documentation of the prior conversations with her.

BUT adding the safety thing was stupid of them and I am going to guess they are going to settle and throw money at her.
ZeeC

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:07 pm

ZeeC wrote:Here is some good info, she posted up the termination letter

https://media.wsls.com/photo/2018/03/13 ... ver1.0.jpg

From the letter she comes off as NOT a great employee... And I would assume they have detailed documentation of the prior conversations with her.

BUT adding the safety thing was stupid of them and I am going to guess they are going to settle and throw money at her.

Could be. Could also be exaggerated to build a case to fire her. Either way I hope she takes them to the cleaners.
Holland&Holland

Postby MJY65 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 am

^^^^^^

On what basis? Sounds like she was a crappy employee on several levels. I don't want having a PTC to be used as a protected class by crappy employees any more than I want them to play the race, age or gender card to avoid being fired.
MJY65

Postby Randygmn on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:38 am

MJY65 wrote:^^^^^^

On what basis? Sounds like she was a crappy employee on several levels. I don't want having a PTC to be used as a protected class by crappy employees any more than I want them to play the race, age or gender card to avoid being fired.

I’d like to know when they discovered she had her CCW. I’ll bet it’s immediately prior to the October date they started creating this CYA paper trail to build a case about how she was such a terrible employee. Yes, I know it’s an employment at will state, but that’s not protection against human rights violations or Constitutional infringements. Especially at a government institution.

I’m sure there’s internal memos and/or incriminating emails about the companies motives that would be revealed during discovery. Time will tell. If she’s lying, she won’t pursue legal action. If she does, she should continue getting the benefit of the doubt until the facts prove otherwise.
Randygmn

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:55 am

Randygmn wrote:
MJY65 wrote:^^^^^^

I’d like to know when they discovered she had her CCW. I’ll bet it’s immediately prior to the October date they started creating this CYA paper trail to build a case about how she was such a terrible employee. Yes, I know it’s an employment at will state, but that’s not protection against human rights violations or Constitutional infringements. Especially at a government institution.

I’m sure there’s internal memos and/or incriminating emails about the companies motives that would be revealed during discovery. Time will tell. If she’s lying, she won’t pursue legal action. If she does, she should continue getting the benefit of the doubt until the facts prove otherwise.

Exactly
Holland&Holland

Postby ZeeC on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:41 am

My old boss used to tell me "No matter how good of an employee you are a company can find a way to fire you if they want to."
ZeeC

Return to In The News