Youtube goes after firearms

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Youtube goes after firearms

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:03 am

Jack's My dog wrote:
Ghost wrote:How come nearly every commercial on my YouTube is either NRA, USCCA or guns?

Youtube is still going to make its money off demonetized channels. That and they watch your activity to send you things you are likely interested in.

I don’t follow any gun channels on YouTube, never really watch them. You’d think I’d get Jeep commercials instead.

They must know that I frequent gun forums.

Anyway, I’m not seeing how they’ll ban gun vids but still take the NRA’s money to advertise.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:13 am

Ghost wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote:
Ghost wrote:How come nearly every commercial on my YouTube is either NRA, USCCA or guns?

Youtube is still going to make its money off demonetized channels. That and they watch your activity to send you things you are likely interested in.

I don’t follow any gun channels on YouTube, never really watch them. You’d think I’d get Jeep commercials instead.

Anyway, I’m not seeing how they’ll ban gun vids but still take the NRA’s money to advertise.

Yep, cookies are tracking your every move.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:47 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote:

Yep, cookies are tracking your every move.

Unfortunately I get all the gun stuff and my girlfriend gets all my sale ads for Jeep parts :(
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:48 am

Good, just tell her how awesome a deal those parts are and that she should buy them for you whenever she sees them! :D
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:15 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Good, just tell her how awesome a deal those parts are and that she should buy them for you whenever she sees them! :D

I’ll let her know. I would bet she’d just screenshot and send to me so I can buy them myself though.
Ghost

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:55 am

OldmanFCSA

Postby unfitmother on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:34 pm

I don't do FB, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, etc. I try to not get sucked into social media, but YT has been the exception for years. Once or twice a month I'll spend a whole day going down the rabbit hole. :busy:

If a channel's video gets a strike for a violation of guidelines, there is no due process. It's guilty until one appeals, and proves oneself innocent. I've seen it happen to a couple of Youtubers over the years, and it's a hassle for them, to say the least.

Here is a non-gun-specific channel's account of getting multiple strikes on their channel. Hope this enlightens the discussion about what could be happening to gun channels if and when the new guidelines are put into stone...

This guy's channel is amazing, by the way. He's into mining, made his own gun-powder with his own urine, gardens and bee-keeps, etc. His curiosity and wonder of the natural world is inspirational to me
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:01 pm

unfitmother wrote:I don't do FB, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, etc. I try to not get sucked into social media, but YT has been the exception for years. Once or twice a month I'll spend a whole day going down the rabbit hole. :busy:

If a channel's video gets a strike for a violation of guidelines, there is no due process. It's guilty until one appeals, and proves oneself innocent. I've seen it happen to a couple of Youtubers over the years, and it's a hassle for them, to say the least.

Here is a non-gun-specific channel's account of getting multiple strikes on their channel. Hope this enlightens the discussion about what could be happening to gun channels if and when the new guidelines are put into stone...

This guy's channel is amazing, by the way. He's into mining, made his own gun-powder with his own urine, gardens and bee-keeps, etc. His curiosity and wonder of the natural world is inspirational to me

I remember that gunpowder episode.
Ghost

Postby unfitmother on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:15 pm

He had to unlist the videos to conform to the "Community guidlelines." But they still exhist.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/25/making-gunpowder-from-urine-natural-materials/

Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:42 pm

Count down to blackout. ........
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:47 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
xd ED wrote:
Scratch wrote:no, i cant'. it's just what I heard from somewhere else.

That's what I've been finding:
All kinds of internet chatter, but no one can source the origins of their outrage back to youtube. :hmm:

It's almost like someone or a group of someones were trying to create an outrage to increase traffic to their site. :cogitating:

But, what would I know, with blinders on and all. :?

Yep, you said it.
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:48 am

Look, it is a fact that Youtube just changed their firearms policy. In the current environment that is most likely not a positive change. In the past year Youtube has already been harassing gun channels. I think Hickok45 was deleted twice and came back, Hank Strange was deleted and came back, Yeager was deleted, others have had strikes against them that they've had to resolve.

The youtube gun community is rightfully paranoid IMHO.
Jackpine Savage

Postby xd ED on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:49 am

yukonjasper wrote:Count down to blackout. ........

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:53 am

FWIW the only place I've seen April 1st mentioned is on this thread.
Jackpine Savage

Postby xd ED on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:12 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:FWIW the only place I've seen April 1st mentioned is on this thread.

I think it's showed up quit a bit...mostly on youtube rants :hmm:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

PreviousNext

Return to In The News