Youtube goes after firearms

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Youtube goes after firearms

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:57 am

it's been a week since the initial outrage over the change in policy.

Does anyone know of any videos that have been removed or channels deleted?

Just curious.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Scratch on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:59 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:it's been a week since the initial outrage over the change in policy.

Just curious.

One date that I heard of when it goes into effect is April 1st.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby xd ED on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am

Scratch wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:it's been a week since the initial outrage over the change in policy.

Just curious.

One date that I heard of when it goes into effect is April 1st.

Can you source that at Youtube?
The only thing I find is current policy, which is undated:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7667605?hl=en

Policies on content featuring firearms
YouTube prohibits certain kinds of content featuring firearms. Specifically, we don’t allow content that:

Intends to sell firearms or certain firearms accessories through direct sales (e.g., private sales by individuals) or links to sites that sell these items. These accessories include but may not be limited to accessories that enable a firearm to simulate automatic fire or convert a firearm to automatic fire (e.g., bump stocks, gatling triggers, drop-in auto sears, conversion kits), and high capacity magazines (i.e., magazines or belts carrying more than 30 rounds).
Provides instructions on manufacturing a firearm, ammunition, high capacity magazine, homemade silencers/suppressors, or certain firearms accessories such as those listed above. This also includes instructions on how to convert a firearm to automatic or simulated automatic firing capabilities.
Shows users how to install the above-mentioned accessories or modifications.
Report content that violates this policy
You can report videos that you believe violate this policy by flagging the video.

As an aside, I find their definition of 'high cap magazines' interesting, compared to most other definitions...
and high capacity magazines (....i.e., magazines or belts carrying more than 30 rounds)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Scratch on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:51 pm

xd ED wrote:
Scratch wrote:

D
Can you source that at Youtube?

no, i cant'. it's just what I heard from somewhere else.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby xd ED on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:38 am

Scratch wrote:no, i cant'. it's just what I heard from somewhere else.

That's what I've been finding:
All kinds of internet chatter, but no one can source the origins of their outrage back to youtube. :hmm:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:42 am

xd ED wrote:

All kinds of internet chatter, but no one can source the origins of their outrage back to youtube. :hmm:

It's almost like someone or a group of someones were trying to create an outrage to increase traffic to their site. :cogitating:

But, what would I know, with blinders on and all. :?
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:58 am

xd ED wrote:

The policy change is on the first page of this thread, straight from the Youtube website. None of the channels that I subscribe to have been able to get any information out of Youtube and they are moving or preparing to move to other hosting sites. I haven't seen any response from the bigger channels and I'm sure they are working with their Youtube reps to try and figure out what is going on.
Jackpine Savage

Postby xd ED on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:17 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:
xd ED wrote:

The policy change is on the first page of this thread, straight from the Youtube website. None of the channels that I subscribe to have been able to get any information out of Youtube and they are moving or preparing to move to other hosting sites. I haven't seen any response from the bigger channels and I'm sure they are working with their Youtube reps to try and figure out what is going on.

If None of the channels you watch have gotten Any information "...out of YouTube..." How do any of them know something is changing April 1st?
The only thing I've found is the same undated, current policy I quoted a few posts earlier- nothing about anything changing.
Granted, their stated policy seems more severe than current practice, there is nothing to indicate a pending change that I can find.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:22 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
xd ED wrote:

It's almost like someone or a group of someones were trying to create an outrage to increase traffic to their site. :cogitating:

But, what would I know, with blinders on and all. :?

The policy that has been discussed by gun channels is the one quoted by Scratch as far as I know, which is on the Youtube site.

Rip-To clarify, are you attributing the creation of outrage to drive traffic to Youtube, or the Gun channels?

In general, I get the point that a free Market Business can do as it pleases, but I think Youtube's model is a bit different then a business that makes or sells its own products.

For many, YouTube offers a free platform to post content to the world for free. But for other content providers Youtube has a business partnership, that monetizes content made by individuals.

While this is not a perfect analogy, I see the issue sort of like this-Take Youtube as a multi-family residential rental developer that has a lot for development. The developer puts it out to the world, they will share the rent with any sub contractor that puts enough time into the construction, and you can put as much time or effort as you choose and decorate them as you like. So you go ahead and paint enough units to share in the rent with your favorite pallet of colors. A year later Youtube decides it no longer likes the colors you chose, so they cut off your portion of the rent, meanwhile they are still collecting said rent. I am sure it was all somewhere in the fine print, but it still strikes me as somehow wrong.
Jack's My dog

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:24 am

.[/quote]
If None of the channels you watch have gotten Any information "...out of YouTube..." How do any of them know something is changing April 1st?
The only thing I've found is the same undated, current policy I quoted a few posts earlier- nothing about anything changing.
Granted, their stated policy seems more severe than current practice, there is nothing to indicate a pending change that I can find.[/quote]

^^^^This is what I have seen as well.
Jack's My dog

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 am

Jack's My dog wrote:Rip-To clarify, are you attributing the creation of outrage to drive traffic to Youtube, or the Gun channels?

I have no inside information, and I'm not insinuating anything. The fact is I don't know. The problem, as far as I can tell, no one else does either.

Maybe I'm just a natural born sceptic, but it wouldn't be the first time someone tried to start a panic for their own benefit.

Until then, I plan to wait and see. (see my first post on page 1)
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby 2in2out on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Lumpy wrote:The left can't get guns banned, so they're trying to de-legitimize them everywhere they can. Once guns are no longer a part of mainstream American society and are solely the province of "yahoos", the war will be 90% over.

I, too, think this is the plan. If they can't Australia us, then maybe they can Big Tobacco us.

Shame, stigma, outcast, divide and conquer.

Good idea, and in any other game it might work. But, I just watched a Simon Sinek speech he gave for a TED audience a couple of years ago about game theory, and I think that might explain why gun control continues to fail an we continue to not fail.

I see Full30 is finally opening up to all content creators. If they can attract non-2A people, that would be good. But, I do think we need to patronize and participate in forums where we aren't always the majority opinion - it's the only way to expose others to our way of thinking.

Back on topic, InRange had a video on YouTube's new policy, and I believe the threat is real. We don't know how heavy-handed they'll be, but they've already banned and harassed quite a few channels, and I can't imagine it will get better. People like 22plinkster, TwangnBang, Mrgunsngear and Hickok45 seem to be justified in their concern over this. Ted's Holdover posted an open video to Youtube (which appears to be on Facebook, oddly) where he talks about airgun video producers getting flagged and banned too frequently. So, there's a problem and I doubt it will get better.

Hopefully, our efforts to voice our concern to Youtube will have an effect. But, this has caused a lot of the more popular gun channels to find alternative video hosts. I think that's a good thing. Maybe that's what we've needed for a long time.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:57 pm

How come nearly every commercial on my YouTube is either NRA, USCCA or guns?
Ghost

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:47 am

Ghost wrote:How come nearly every commercial on my YouTube is either NRA, USCCA or guns?

Because google and youtube know you very well ;)

Here's a video from sootch talking about the new rules. He doesn't think it's going to be as bad as some fear. He didn't say anything about reloading though. He does say he isn't going to give up without a fight. 13 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tByRN0XhsAU

Jackpine Savage

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:48 am

Ghost wrote:How come nearly every commercial on my YouTube is either NRA, USCCA or guns?

Youtube is still going to make its money off demonetized channels. That and they watch your activity to send you things you are likely interested in.
Jack's My dog

PreviousNext

Return to In The News