Fire at Forest Lake Gun Range

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Fire at Forest Lake Gun Range

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:04 pm

Just came across this image on FB; said to be of the strip mall where gun range is located.

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: Fire at Forest Lake Gun Range

Postby Kelor on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Yep. There was a live feed on Facebook. It looks to be destroyed. Imagine the gun loss.
Kelor

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Foul Play? Might we see acts of vandalism happening at gun related businesses and shooting ranges? It's the sort of cowardly thing you could expect from a child run movement. I hope it doesn't become a trend.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:03 am

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 am

Doubt we will hear a reason till the fire marshal gives the official one. No point in speculating.
grimbeaver

Postby ttousi on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:26 am

heard it started in the range bays...........wonder if they have the rubber backstop material. Didn't Burnsville have a fire in the backstop material a few years ago?

News said the fire started about 8:30 and called in by employees.

My friend is going up to help clean guns this AM so hopefully it was just water in that area
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:40 am

ttousi wrote:heard it started in the range bays...........wonder if they have the rubber backstop material. Didn't Burnsville have a fire in the backstop material a few years ago?

My friend is going up to help clean guns this AM so hopefully it was just water in that area

I believe that’s what happened at BPR. Likely similar.
Ghost

Postby 870TC on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:28 am

ttousi wrote:heard it started in the range bays...........wonder if they have the rubber backstop material. Didn't Burnsville have a fire in the backstop material a few years ago?

yes on the rubber, bought spent bullets from them and they were covered in rubber particles
870TC

Postby SkyRock on Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:07 pm

Yes, they did. The cause wasn't confirmed, but the "suspect" was steel-jackeded bullets that sparked. Now, no steel ANYTHING in ammo is permitted.
SkyRock

Postby fjrdc on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:16 pm

A real shame, it's the only indoor range that I felt comfortable that I wouldn't get swept by some banger wannabe. Ben Oliver's crew ran a tight ship . Always improving the range and shop , Quite a long ways from the tiny shop he started .
I wish him luck and pray he rebuilds. we need a shop of their caliber in this area
" Little By Little One Travels Far"
fjrdc

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Could have been somebody shooting dodgey milsurp ammo. Sometimes a tracer or two sneaks in there and those light up rubber really easily.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:33 am

I suspect Tracer or API or Incendiary in the Rubber Room.
OldmanFCSA

Postby TommyMN on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:33 am

Forest lake times was leaning towards a transformer electrical issue in the attic. Not sure on that sourcing thou.
TommyMN

Postby ttousi on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:24 am

TommyMN wrote:Forest lake times was leaning towards a transformer electrical issue in the attic. Not sure on that sourcing thou.

Possibly heat/cool unit from yesterdays clean up crew
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby 2in2out on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:39 pm

The one time I was in there, I was impressed. It's a long way from SE MN, so I couldn't get back there. I'm very sad to see this.

We had a small indoor range burn to the ground near here, and I was on the fire department at the time. It was like a giant popcorn machine with rounds cooking off almost continuously for what seemed like an hour and fragments bouncing off our turnout gear whenever we tried to get close to it. Fires are always sad, and I don't want to imply otherwise. However, that was a fire I'll never forget.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Next

Return to In The News