ATF Proposed Bump Stock Ban

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

ATF Proposed Bump Stock Ban

Postby Grayskies on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:25 pm

NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Re: ATF Proposed Bump Stock Ban

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Welcome back Grayskies
Ghost

Postby 2in2out on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:30 pm

That's a ridiculous idea to ban those. I wonder if they're not only expecting a legal challenge but counting on it.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Grayskies on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:03 pm

Ty Ghost.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:15 am

We all knew it was coming. Sad though. How long until shoulder thingy's that go up get banned?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:14 am

Holland&Holland wrote:We all knew it was coming. Sad though. How long until shoulder thingy's that go up get banned?

I find it odd that Trump is against bumpstocks but at the same time wanting to increase NFA funding to speed up process times.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-doj-speed-sales-transfers-machine-guns/story?id=53635619
Ghost

Postby george on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:12 pm

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:We all knew it was coming. Sad though. How long until shoulder thingy's that go up get banned?

I find it odd that Trump is against bumpstocks but at the same time wanting to increase NFA funding to speed up process times.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-doj-speed-sales-transfers-machine-guns/story?id=53635619

It is not odd. No own said he is really pro-gun. Trump is pro-Trump. The thing is it is better to lose bump stocks than the full 2nd amendment. Does not mean it still does not suck.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

It is not odd. No own said he is really pro-gun. Trump is pro-Trump. The thing is it is better to lose bump stocks than the full 2nd amendment. Does not mean it still does not suck.

He did say

The reason it is odd is that he’s speeding up process times for people to transfer machine guns but at the same time wanting to ban something that makes a semi auto shoot quicker.

It seems to me Trump may be doing some slight of hand type work here. Look at me criticizing bumpstocks but making machine gun acquisition quicker.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:15 pm

How many machine guns is he really affecting? Heck in this state they are in effect banned. Unless you have 25k to play that is.

Look, I am the first to admit he is better than Hillary so I am ok with the outcome but I did not vote for him assuming he was going to really be all that I would dream of in a President. So this flip flop is to be expected.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:How many machine guns is he really affecting? Heck in this state they are in effect banned. Unless you have 25k to play that is.

Look, I am the first to admit he is better than Hillary so I am ok with the outcome but I did not vote for him assuming he was going to really be all that I would dream of in a President. So this flip flop is to be expected.

Probably affecting more machine guns than bump stocks. Machine guns weren’t too hard to get pre ‘86. Reagan is the one to thank for making machine guns cost as much as cars.

Obviously I still support him. He hasn’t successfully banned anything so I won’t even give him a strike yet. I just find his words vs actions interesting.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:How many machine guns is he really affecting? Heck in this state they are in effect banned. Unless you have 25k to play that is.

Probably affecting more machine guns than bump stocks. Machine guns weren’t too hard to get pre ‘86. Reagan is the one to thank for making machine guns cost as much as cars.

Obviously I still support him. He hasn’t successfully banned anything so I won’t even give him a strike yet. I just find his words vs actions interesting.

He is only proposing decrease processing time. How is that going to affect full autos?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:41 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

He is only proposing decrease processing time. How is that going to affect full autos?

It will affect their processing time. They are no different than SBR’s and suppressors in free states.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:04 am

So no effect then.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News