Waffle House shooting question

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby INOR on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:31 am

I’m sure everyone is aware of and following the shooting at the Waffle House but had a question. Why hasn’t this guy’s dad been arrested? Reports are that the shooter has mental issues. Was arrested by the secret service at the White House for trespassing in an effort to see President Trump. Then was reported as delusional thinking Taylor Swift was out to get him. FBI seized his guns (he had four apparently). They eventually gave his guns back to his father. He then apparently gave them back to his son.

It seems like we’re missing something here. Either the shooter had been cleared and due process was followed before he got his guns back (which I doubt based on his actions). Or he wasn’t allowed to have guns and his father gave him the guns back anyways. So why hasn’t he been arrested and charged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby INOR on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 am

INOR

Re: Waffle House shooting question

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:42 am

Seems most of these shootings have a connection to the federal government some how. Always thought when your guns get taken away, they destroyed them.
Bearcatrp

Postby INOR on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 am

Here’s another article with more info. Wasn’t the first time dad reportedly gave the guns back to the son who was clearly mentally disturbed.

https://amp.tennessean.com/amp/540144002

INOR

Postby INOR on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:51 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Seems most of these shootings have a connection to the federal government some how. Always thought when your guns get taken away, they destroyed them.

One of those articles states that it wasn’t the FBI that seized the guns but the local police after referral from the FBI. The FBI reported the White House issue to them, the police yanked his owners card, and were seizing his guns but left them in dad’s custody because he had a valid owners card. But they instructed him to keep the weapons secure and away from his son. He has since acknowledged giving them back.

And now four people are dead He should be charged as an accessory to murder. I realize that they’re focusing their efforts on trying to catch the shooter so maybe they’re holding off on arresting the father until he’s caught in case the shooter calls the father.

INOR

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 am

This is one of those instances BigBlue was talking about where the father appears to be negligent. I could see him being charged and it seems rightfully so.
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:00 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Seems most of these shootings have a connection to the federal government some how. Always thought when your guns get taken away, they destroyed them.

If you want to be a conspiracy theorist you would have plenty to talk about when you look into all the contact many of these people have had. Much better chance than flying our own planes into the towers.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:27 am

Ghost wrote:This is one of those instances BigBlue was talking about where the father appears to be negligent. I could see him being charged and it seems rightfully so.

Yeah, wasn't there a whole army of folks opposed to my concept of parental responsibility for misdeeds of a minor child? At least it seemed like nobody was agreeing with me. :-)

In this case the son was not a minor but I do still see responsibility due to the firearm possession scenario. Not so much as a parent here, but as one person knowingly transferring possession of a firearm to a wackadoodle.

BB
BigBlue

Postby goett047 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 am

Ghost wrote:

If you want to be a conspiracy theorist you would have plenty to talk about when you look into all the contact many of these people have had. Much better chance than flying our own planes into the towers.

One question. Was this shooter on SSRIs?
goett047

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 am

BigBlue wrote:
Ghost wrote:This is one of those instances BigBlue was talking about where the father appears to be negligent. I could see him being charged and it seems rightfully so.

Yeah, wasn't there a whole army of folks opposed to my concept of parental responsibility for misdeeds of a minor child? At least it seemed like nobody was agreeing with me. :-)

In this case the son was not a minor but I do still see responsibility due to the firearm possession scenario. Not so much as a parent here, but as one person knowingly transferring possession of a firearm to a wackadoodle.

BB

Parental responsibility? Are you effing kidding me? The KID was 29. Hey, lets go get the granddad from the nursing home, he must be responsible for raising the dad so we should charge him.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:43 am

No, he was not. This is a situation where one person provided guns to another who he knew was prohibited. The fact that he is the father is irrelevant. This is NOT a parent needing to be responsible for the actions of their child which is what Big Blue's point was.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:54 am

I agree, Familial Ties are irrelevant when you get to this point. I don't think it should be any surprise that we have bad judgment from the parent. There are a lot and I mean A LOT of real dopes out there impregnating equally stupid women and "raising" children. Sadly, there is no prequalification for reproducing. There are plenty of cases of Generational Mental Health problems - bad genes, bad brains, bad decisions, bad lives, bad consequences.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:59 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

No, he was not. This is a situation where one person provided guns to another who he knew was prohibited. The fact that he is the father is irrelevant. This is NOT a parent needing to be responsible for the actions of their child which is what Big Blue's point was.

I wasn’t hung up on the family part just that the guy is seemingly negligent.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:07 am

I don’t think anyone here was hung up on the parental aspect of this. The term “father” was just being used to describe the relationship to the shooter. Everybody is clear that the shooter isn’t a minor. Regardless, if it’s true that the father gave the guns back to the mentally unstable son, I hope the father is prosecuted as an accomplice.

INOR

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 am

INOR wrote:I don’t think anyone here was hung up on the parental aspect of this. The term “father” was just being used to describe the relationship to the shooter. Everybody is clear that the shooter isn’t a minor. Regardless, if it’s true that the father gave the guns back to the mentally unstable son, I hope the father is prosecuted as an accomplice.

I don't disagree with that. Everyone needs to be responsible for their OWN actions. The father in this case included.

What I was reacting to was the comments comparing this to another situation in an unrelated thread, that this situation is not analogous to.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to In The News