Interesting article in Politico

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Interesting article in Politico

Postby Chunkychuck on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:21 am

I thought it was a interesting read with a new idea (to me anyway) I see good and bad in it. One aspect of the article is that author tries to answer questions that would come from both sides.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... 72?ref=yfp
Chunkychuck

Re: Interesting article in Politico

Postby Randygmn on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 am

There is a report on this currently on The Truth About Guns right now. The comment section is on fire.

Here’s a thought.. they should pass a federal law that the gives all Americans the right to keep and bear arms from birth. The only way to lose that right is to be adjudicated as mentally ill or convicted of a felony. The biggest problem is what we should call such a law.

Anyway, my feeling is that I’d rather fight it out. Winner take all, once and for all. As a nation, we haven’t been this divided since the 1860’s. There is no way to diffuse the hostilities. It’s time to settle it.
Randygmn

Postby hammAR on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:30 am

There is no way to diffuse the hostilities. It’s time to settle it.

How about a duel............... :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby mrp on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:25 am

Chunkychuck wrote:One aspect of the article is that author tries to answer questions that would come from both sides.

He doesn't address the biggest and most obvious problem I see: possession (i.e., constructive possession)

If I have one of these magical semi-auto licenses and my wife does not, now she's facing felony charges if I have a Glock on my nightstand, or in the center console of my car while driving with her, or stored in a safe that she knows the combination to.
mrp

Postby Ghost on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 am

I am unimpressed with the idea
Ghost

Postby jdege on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:50 am

I think he's right that a fair number of gun owners would not oppose the idea, since it provides no way to track individual firearms.

But I think he's mistaken in believing that this would satisfy the anti-gun zealots, because it provides no way to track individual firearms.
jdege

Postby Chunkychuck on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:04 pm

I don't see the anti's ever offering any concessions. It is not their way. They believe it gives them the moral high ground.
Chunkychuck

Postby Lumpy on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:07 pm

So they pass the law and X years down the road they close the federal registry so you simply can't get the license. :x
Lumpy

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:19 pm

I don't think the author is a gun owner or patriot. The only way you could believe a registry of gun owners, which is what his licensing system is, would make us "freer and safer" would be if you viewed government as incorruptible and benevolent.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby jgalt on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:21 am

Randygmn wrote:The only way to lose that right is to be adjudicated as mentally ill or convicted of a felony.

"...adjudicated as mentally ill..." - by who, using what standards?

"...convicted of a felony." - violent felonies only, or whatever some legislature decides to define as a felony?

And you'll be OK sticking with both of your answers when the folks in charge hold the same opinions on the right to keep and bear arms as those in NY, DC, Chicago, New Jersey, etc?

How about this - if you're not in jail, you have the right to keep and bear arms.

Either you're for individual liberty, or you're not.
jgalt

Postby jgalt on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:24 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I don't think the author is a gun owner or patriot. The only way you could believe a registry of gun owners, which is what his licensing system is, would make us "freer and safer" would be if you viewed government as incorruptible and benevolent.

I've no problem believing he's exactly as he describes himself in his opening paragraph:

I am a gun industry insider, a lifelong gun owner and a vocal advocate for Second Amendment rights. I am a Texan and an American patriot who hauls my family to church every Sunday in a diesel pickup truck, where I sit in the pew and listen to the Word with a 9mm pistol tucked inside the waistband of my fanciest jeans.

There are a lot of folks who are "gun rights" supporters who are no fans of individual liberty... :roll:
jgalt

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 am

So, there doesn't appear to be consensus on where the "Line in the Sand" is. The core reason for the 2nd Amendment was to curb the Governments ability to disarm the citizenry under whatever guise they wanted to cook up, presumably to save the Republic from the almost inevitable tendency of people in power to abuse that power.
How bad do you think it needs to get before the 2nd Amendment rights are used to actively push back on a "tyrannical" government? What does the pushback even look like?
Is there a plan out there on how to organize the Citizens to effectively oppose a corrupt government?

Seems to me there ought to be a plan if there is talk of resistance.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:34 am

jgalt wrote:I've no problem believing he's exactly as he describes himself in his opening paragraph:

I would respectfully disagree. While I've known a few gun owners who were lukewarm gun rights supporters, I've never met one who lumped their Remington Nylon 66 in the same category as an evil AR or AK.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:43 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
jgalt wrote:I've no problem believing he's exactly as he describes himself in his opening paragraph:

I would respectfully disagree. While I've known a few gun owners who were lukewarm gun rights supporters, I've never met one who lumped their Remington Nylon 66 in the same category as an evil AR or AK.

Plenty who would throw AR and AK under the bus to save their trusty Nylon 66.
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Ghost wrote:Plenty who would throw AR and AK under the bus to save their trusty Nylon 66.

Exactly.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Next

Return to In The News