Vista Outdoor Aims to Exit Several Brands, Including Firearm

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Vista Outdoor Aims to Exit Several Brands, Including Firearm

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 01, 2018 9:21 pm

They should explore the effect on ammo sales it will have.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 pm

From MSN.COM:
Why Vista Outdoor Inc. Stock Fell Tuesday

What happened
Shares of outdoor recreation and firearm company Vista Outdoor Inc.(NYSE: VSTO) fell as much as 17.3% on Tuesday, following the company's fiscal fourth-quarter earnings report. Though Vista's revenue for the period came in higher than expected, its loss per share was wider than the consensus analyst estimate for the key metric. In addition, Vista's outlook for fiscal 2019 profitability was weaker than expected.

Vista also announced a plan to begin exiting some product segments and to refocus on areas that management believes present the biggest opportunities.

And it looks like they have a ways to go before completely abandoning the community:
A screen shot from their webpage:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 22.17.54.png
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 pm

xd ED wrote:From MSN.COM:

What happened
Shares of outdoor recreation and firearm company Vista Outdoor Inc.(NYSE: VSTO) fell as much as 17.3% on Tuesday, following the company's fiscal fourth-quarter earnings report. Though Vista's revenue for the period came in higher than expected, its loss per share was wider than the consensus analyst estimate for the key metric. In addition, Vista's outlook for fiscal 2019 profitability was weaker than expected.

Vista also announced a plan to begin exiting some product segments and to refocus on areas that management believes present the biggest opportunities.

And it looks like they have a ways to go before completely abandoning the community:

You are not understanding, I never said they were selling off gun related areas, they are proposing to sell the gun lines they own. Savage and Stevens. I would assume Fox would go with it as the new foxes are really just stevens with a brand.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:From MSN.COM:

What happened

You are not understanding, I never said they were selling off gun related areas, they are proposing to sell the gun lines they own. Savage and Stevens. I would assume Fox would go with it as the new foxes are really just stevens with a brand.

Yep:

They are selling the gun companies... for someone to buy, and attempt to make money producing, and selling firearms...they are not shutting down the factory, destroying existing inventory, and cutting barrels in half on youtube...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby linksep on Wed May 02, 2018 6:34 am

Seems to me the marketwatch story is junk. They're not going to "stop making firearms after some major [unnamed] retailers said they would halt sales of all the company’s products"...
This is two essentially unrelated stories mashed up into crap:

1) REI(?) soils their diapers because the company that makes bike helmets and paddle boards also makes evil guns.

2) Vista outdoors realizes bike helmets and paddle boards don't make nearly as much money as ammo and water bottles, decides to focus on ammo and water bottle production.

Story #1 doesn't matter, even without all the diaper filling from REI(?), Vista Outdoors would still sell off their unprofitable brands to focus on ammo and turning $0.04 worth of plastic into a $100 water-bottles.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 am

linksep wrote:Seems to me the marketwatch story is junk. They're not going to "stop making firearms after some major [unnamed] retailers said they would halt sales of all the company’s products"...
This is two essentially unrelated stories mashed up into crap:

1) REI(?) soils their diapers because the company that makes bike helmets and paddle boards also makes evil guns.

2) Vista outdoors realizes bike helmets and paddle boards don't make nearly as much money as ammo and water bottles, decides to focus on ammo and water bottle production.

Story #1 doesn't matter, even without all the diaper filling from REI(?), Vista Outdoors would still sell off their unprofitable brands to focus on ammo and turning $0.04 worth of plastic into a $100 water-bottles.

:exactly: :iagree:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Wed May 02, 2018 7:56 am

Should I pull the rags from my Molotov’s and lay down my pitchfork?
Ghost

Postby photogpat on Wed May 02, 2018 10:05 am

Ghost wrote:Should I pull the rags from my Molotov’s and lay down my pitchfork?

Yes please.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Ghost on Wed May 02, 2018 1:54 pm

photogpat wrote:

Yes please.

Damn ;)
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 pm

photogpat wrote:

Yes please.

So fill us in Pat. Why would they dump Savage?
Holland&Holland

Postby photogpat on Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 pm

I don't speak on behalf of the company, but the info is out there if you get around the rhetoric and jeering from the anti-gunners.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 02, 2018 10:25 pm

photogpat wrote:I don't speak on behalf of the company, but the info is out there if you get around the rhetoric and jeering from the anti-gunners.

Fair enough.

My point is that if savage is underperforming then a company like federal would have the resources and skill set to turn it around. If it can't be turned around then that would imply that the market has changed and one can't make money making guns any longer. If that is the true case then we have already lost.

No I see this as a local company whom I considered myself a customer and supporter of bowing to anti gun pressures and agendas. And it really chaps my hide if you can't tell.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu May 03, 2018 5:13 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
photogpat wrote:I don't speak on behalf of the company, but the info is out there if you get around the rhetoric and jeering from the anti-gunners.

Fair enough.

My point is that if savage is underperforming then a company like federal would have the resources and skill set to turn it around. If it can't be turned around then that would imply that the market has changed and one can't make money making guns any longer. If that is the true case then we have already lost.

No I see this as a local company whom I considered myself a customer and supporter of bowing to anti gun pressures and agendas. And it really chaps my hide if you can't tell.

Why does it have to be political? And why does it have to be looked at as a negative instead of a buying opportunity?

Maybe a new owner can make Savage/Stevens a larger player in the firearms market.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Thu May 03, 2018 6:10 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Fair enough.

Why does it have to be political? And why does it have to be looked at as a negative instead of a buying opportunity?

Maybe a new owner can make Savage/Stevens a larger player in the firearms market

^^^THIS^^^

If one reads this story in the financial papers, it is analyzed as a business decision.
Reading the AP, and Bloomberg, many assumptions are made, and it is viewed as a political victory for the antis.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby photogpat on Thu May 03, 2018 6:41 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

Fair enough.

Still not speaking on behalf of the company.

First off, Federal does NOT own Savage. They are both wholly owned subsidiaries of Vista. Federal is still headquartered in Anoka...and there are nearly 1200 employees here in Minnesota. 2nd Amendment is held sancrosect in word and deed up there. Anti-gun/freedom pressure is met with overwhelming force back the other direction.

Savage is headquartered in Massachusetts and has it's own management team.

Just to keep things clear.
photogpat

PreviousNext

Return to In The News