Dick’s Sporting Goods Solidifies Anti-Gun Reputation

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Thu May 03, 2018 10:00 am

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/05/03/dicks-sporting-goods-solidifies-anti-gun-reputation/
For anyone still buying things from Dick’s, know what you’re helping to fund. You’re spending money with a company that is, in turn, using that money to fund efforts to strip you of your rights. It’s not enough that it refuses to sell you something. That’s its right. But now Dick’s wants to make it impossible for you to buy those weapons at all; not from it and not from its competitors.

In the end, though, all Dick’s is doing is flushing business away as it reminds gun owners that Dick’s might still sell guns, but it doesn’t value anyone’s right to own one.
jdege

Re: Dick’s Sporting Goods Solidifies Anti-Gun Reputation

Postby Rodentman on Thu May 03, 2018 2:17 pm

I have never been in a Dick's store and never will shop there.
Rodentman

Postby Ghost on Thu May 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Not one more dime. Dick’s and Field and Stream are dead to me except if I use them as an entrance to the mall because their empty parking lot affords a shorter foot commute.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Thu May 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Did I miss a Field and Stream Cerfufle?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Thu May 03, 2018 5:02 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Did I miss a Field and Stream Cerfufle?

Dick’s owns them, that’s where the guns they destroyed came from.
Ghost

Postby Geezer43 on Thu May 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Rodentman wrote:I have never been in a Dick's store and never will shop there.

Glad to see you back online Rodentman!!
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Postby mrp on Thu May 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Everyone is assuming that the lobbyists are being hired to promote gun control.

All the filing says is "Lobbying related to gun control." NRA lobbyists are doing "lobbying related to gun control."

After Newtown, they stopped selling scary black rifles and hired lobbyists. Despite their decision to suspend sales, their lobbyist move was seen as fighting for gun rights at the time. They hired lobbyists with access to the republicans who were going to be involved in any gun control bills. They also hired a lobbyist who used to work for (and presumably) could get access to Biden.

They're still selling firearms. This could be nothing more than trying to ensure PLCAA doesn't go away. Or maybe just keeping an eye on gun control issues and trying to nudge anything new in a way favorable to their company. Or they might, for whatever reason, actually lobby for gun control.

I dunno. but until more comes out, I'm just going to keep my pitchfork at low ready.
mrp

Postby Ghost on Thu May 03, 2018 7:35 pm

mrp wrote:Everyone is assuming that the lobbyists are being hired to promote gun control.

All the filing says is "Lobbying related to gun control." NRA lobbyists are doing "lobbying related to gun control."

After Newtown, they stopped selling scary black rifles and hired lobbyists. Despite their decision to suspend sales, their lobbyist move was seen as fighting for gun rights at the time. They hired lobbyists with access to the republicans who were going to be involved in any gun control bills. They also hired a lobbyist who used to work for (and presumably) could get access to Biden.

They're still selling firearms. This could be nothing more than trying to ensure PLCAA doesn't go away. Or maybe just keeping an eye on gun control issues and trying to nudge anything new in a way favorable to their company. Or they might, for whatever reason, actually lobby for gun control.

I dunno. but until more comes out, I'm just going to keep my pitchfork at low ready.

MSR's never came back to Dick's, as far as I'm aware, so it doesn't seem that they'd be spending money to lobby for them. They definitely don't appear to be a friend of freedom.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 pm

mrp wrote:

I say stick them all with the pitchfork and let the herd bull sort them out.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News