School Shooting In Texas

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: School Shooting In Texas

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Has anyone heard of any underage kid that has done this crap, locking up the parent for not securing the weapons used? That’s if they used there parents firearms. Seems the ones responsible for letting slip through cracks like in Florida, no one being charged. Only thing the governments seem to want to do is gun control instead of locking up the ones responsible, whether they knew the kid was going to do it or didn’t secure the firearm.

Why don't we charge everyone involved with the mn hs trap league. 12000 armed kids that we allow. Heck you can come pick me up mid crime tomorrow at bufffalo gun club.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Sat May 19, 2018 7:43 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Has anyone heard of any underage kid that has done this crap, locking up the parent for not securing the weapons used? That’s if they used there parents firearms. Seems the ones responsible for letting slip through cracks like in Florida, no one being charged. Only thing the governments seem to want to do is gun control instead of locking up the ones responsible, whether they knew the kid was going to do it or didn’t secure the firearm.

There is no safe in the world that will keep out a teen with power tools and time on his hands.
jdege

Postby BigBlue on Sat May 19, 2018 12:32 pm

INOR wrote:Interesting blogger opinion piece on the matter. I surely don’t agree with everything she says. But you guys don’t find it at all odd that pretty much every single school shooting is a kid who spends hours and hours in FPS games? Even the columbine guys were big into Doom back in the day.

https://medium.com/@emmalindsay/the-tro ... 7888e66807

Only had time to skim the post you linked but I'd say it is far more likely that her assessment of personal view of themselves ("I'm trash") (if true for any of them... who even knows what they felt?) would have done more to contribute than violent games. But regardless, what if games have something to do with it? What are we going to do? Outlaw them all for everyone because a few folks went nuts? That's kinda like the guns thing. It's really about why these kids got to the point that they 1) valued the lives of their colleagues so poorly; 2) decided that violence was a solution to whatever they were facing; and 3) were morally OK harming and killing other innocent people to satisfy their needs.

This is a society-wide issue. Rap music, reality TV, extreme movies, stupid YouTube stunts, one-upmanship on many fronts, and "my feelings are what count, not others" are all contributors.
BigBlue

Postby Ironbear on Sat May 19, 2018 2:35 pm

INOR wrote:Interesting blogger opinion piece on the matter. I surely don’t agree with everything she says. But you guys don’t find it at all odd that pretty much every single school shooting is a kid who spends hours and hours in FPS games? Even the columbine guys were big into Doom back in the day.

https://medium.com/@emmalindsay/the-tro ... 7888e66807

I have to agree that it was interesting, and I think she had some meaningful things to say. For those who didn't read the link, she isn't stating that violent games are a cause, but instead is suggesting that obsessive playing of violent games seems to be tied to the seeking of purpose or self-worth for people with little self-worth. Personally, I thing she hits at more truth than she misses.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Grayskies on Sat May 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I think the video game FPS stuff is a coincidence versus causation thing. IMO it is more likely they were attracted to FPSs and not that FPS causes kids to go violent.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby andrewP on Sat May 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Grayskies wrote:I think the video game FPS stuff is a coincidence versus causation thing. IMO it is more likely they were attracted to FPSs and not that FPS causes kids to go violent.

Agreed. If first-person shooter games were to blame, there would be a LOT more kids shooting up schools; they've been some of the most popular video games available for as long as they've existed. I played a ton of Doom, Quake, and Counter-Strike, and so did a ton of other people who were teenagers in the '90s and '00s, and the VAST majority of us grew up to be normal adults. The number who shot up schools is TINY compared to the number playing those games. I don't think any sane statistician would conclude that video games cause violence.
andrewP

Postby Grayskies on Sat May 19, 2018 5:04 pm

andrewP wrote:
Grayskies wrote:I think the video game FPS stuff is a coincidence versus causation thing. IMO it is more likely they were attracted to FPSs and not that FPS causes kids to go violent.

Agreed. If first-person shooter games were to blame, there would be a LOT more kids shooting up schools; they've been some of the most popular video games available for as long as they've existed. I played a ton of Doom, Quake, and Counter-Strike, and so did a ton of other people who were teenagers in the '90s and '00s, and the VAST majority of us grew up to be normal adults. The number who shot up schools is TINY compared to the number playing those games. I don't think any sane statistician would conclude that video games cause violence.

I played Doom and quake and so many more, I still play Halo 4, world of warcraft and just finished stick of truth. I doubt any one would call me normal but, if they are not Horde I think they are pretty safe! :P

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Randygmn on Sat May 19, 2018 7:12 pm

This was unequivocally a Columbine copycat. He wore the similar kind of long black trench coat (in 90 degree heat), even before the murders. He used the same kind of weapons, a pistol grip shotgun and handgun. And he even wore a pin of the exact symbol of hammer and sickle that the Columbine killer had on his sneakers.
The media should reconsider how they make these evil killers famous by constantly sensationalizing their names. In fact, the policy going forward should be, (and in order to satisfy the matter of public interest), that the governor in an effected state should release the name of the killer afterwards, and then all press should redact the name from all press reports subsequently. This sicko knew that after he killed all those people that his social media would be searched and he’d be famous. Which is why he spelled his name and included the phonetic pronunciation. Coward.
Randygmn

Postby Grayskies on Sat May 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Dmitrios Pagourtzis fired again through the wooden part of the door and fatally hit a student in the chest. He then lingered for about 30 minutes in a warren of four rooms, killing seven more students and two teachers before exchanging gunfire with police and surrendering, officials said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/19/gu ... nutes.html

??? 30 Minutes ???

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat May 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Grayskies wrote:
Dmitrios Pagourtzis fired again through the wooden part of the door and fatally hit a student in the chest. He then lingered for about 30 minutes in a warren of four rooms, killing seven more students and two teachers before exchanging gunfire with police and surrendering, officials said.

??? 30 Minutes ???

When you need a cop they are only minutes away
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sun May 20, 2018 6:32 am

Grayskies wrote:

??? 30 Minutes ???

I thought police protocol was to go in ASAP, where were they?
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Fri May 25, 2018 7:41 am

Looks like the school ignored their own policy

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/investigations/suspected-santa-fe-hs-shooter-violated-district-trench-coat-policy/285-557195480

At Santa Fe High School, officials said Pagourtzis used a duster-style coat to conceal the weapons he allegedly used to kill eight fellow students and two teachers.

“From what we know, this dude walked in today with a long coat and shotgun under his coat,” Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Friday. “It’s 90 degrees.”

Several students told KHOU Pagourtzis often wore the same coat to school, the same duster-style coat he posted on Facebook weeks earlier. It was adorned with pins and medallions representing rebellion and evil.

Santa Fe ISD’s student handbook states “trench coats are not acceptable as a form of outwear and will not be accepted at school.”
Ghost

Previous

Return to In The News