School Shooting In Texas

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

School Shooting In Texas

Postby Grayskies on Fri May 18, 2018 9:39 am

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/active-sh ... d=55258606
There are multiple fatalities from a shooting at Santa Fe High School near Galveston, Texas, this morning, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said one person is in custody and a second person is detained. The suspect appears to be a student, a local law enforcement official said.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Re: School Shooting In Texas

Postby Ghost on Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am

Stop it already.
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 am

Anyone know if Texas schools are "gun free zones"?

Just curious.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Grayskies on Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 am

Ghost wrote:Stop it already.

What has happened to kids that they would even consider doing something like this?

Thoughts and prayers to all those involved.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

School Shooting In Texas

Postby INOR on Fri May 18, 2018 11:00 am

1st person shooter games combined with with mental illness. No, I’m not kidding. It’s a common theme. I’ll bet you if you look at every single one of these incidents, they’re big into 1st person shooter games. I’m obviously not talking about the shootings like Vegas. But the school shootings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Grayskies on Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 am

From ABCnews

explosive devices have also been found at the school and in surrounding areas, authorities warned.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri May 18, 2018 11:06 am

This keeps happening, we will be screwed owning firearms. Let’s hope he stole the firearms.
Bearcatrp

School Shooting In Texas

Postby dismal on Fri May 18, 2018 11:12 am

One report said that the shooter used a shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dismal

Postby BigBlue on Fri May 18, 2018 11:26 am

INOR wrote:1st person shooter games combined with with mental illness. No, I’m not kidding. It’s a common theme. I’ll bet you if you look at every single one of these incidents, they’re big into 1st person shooter games. I’m obviously not talking about the shootings like Vegas. But the school shootings.

I hesitate to blame video games. I grew up with all sorts of video games including FPS stuff and there is zero tendency to be violent because of it. I tend to think that the combo of today's "I'm the important one; I'm the victim" and all the social media that leads them to want to impress, shock and one-up each other is the real culprit.
BigBlue

School Shooting In Texas

Postby INOR on Fri May 18, 2018 11:37 am

BigBlue wrote:I hesitate to blame video games. I grew up with all sorts of video games including FPS stuff and there is zero tendency to be violent because of it. I tend to think that the combo of today's "I'm the important one; I'm the victim" and all the social media that leads them to want to impress, shock and one-up each other is the real culprit.

I’m not putting it in a vacuum and saying it’s the cause. But combined with mental illness, yeah I think it has an impact. Even discussed it with my son. He’s 14 and plays some. He said he doesn’t feel like it impacts him but if a person is already mentally imbalanced or susceptible, he thinks that the games could be suggestive and desensitize them to think that shooting people is ok or will bring them the glory and attention they crave.

INOR

Postby LarryFlew on Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 am

BigBlue wrote:
INOR wrote:1st person shooter games combined with with mental illness. No, I’m not kidding. It’s a common theme. I’ll bet you if you look at every single one of these incidents, they’re big into 1st person shooter games. I’m obviously not talking about the shootings like Vegas. But the school shootings.

I hesitate to blame video games. I grew up with all sorts of video games including FPS stuff and there is zero tendency to be violent because of it. I tend to think that the combo of today's "I'm the important one; I'm the victim" and all the social media that leads them to want to impress, shock and one-up each other is the real culprit.

Where's that LIKE button Image
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby yukonjasper on Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 am

Doesn't matter what kind of gun or if it's stolen. I do think mental illness and the sort of narcissism that the selfie generation is caught up in is the main part of the problem along with the emotional isolation of the social media culture. There is a lack of empathy. The video game angle probably doesn't help, but it only feeds the sickness that is already there. The media exploitation and the protests,, give these low self esteem mental cases a stage to aspire to. The more of these cowards they can capture the better since I suspect the interviews are very instructive. The fact that we don't get details about motive , mindset and mental state tells you all you need to know. The left is complicit, I hope inadvertently, but they should know that they are feeding the fire.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Fri May 18, 2018 12:07 pm

I played all kinds of video violent games. I’m not so sure that it leads to shootings but these people plan, they don’t just go in shooting. The video games may be more of a learning tool to them.

The thing I’d like to see is statistics on school populations. As schools consolidate more and more I’d like to know if the loss of identity contributes. I had a class size of 60. I knew everyone in the high school while I was there. If I did something wrong my parents would know before I made it home.

I also think the coddled participation trophy society where classes teach to the lowest common denominator in the room instead of pushing the slower kids to catch up (or removing them) to the faster kids has a lot to do with it.

I don’t think these kids traditionally come from meager means or are lacking for much.
Ghost

School Shooting In Texas

Postby INOR on Fri May 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Interesting blogger opinion piece on the matter. I surely don’t agree with everything she says. But you guys don’t find it at all odd that pretty much every single school shooting is a kid who spends hours and hours in FPS games? Even the columbine guys were big into Doom back in the day.

https://medium.com/@emmalindsay/the-tro ... 7888e66807

INOR

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri May 18, 2018 1:40 pm

We humans are a complicated organism. It's convenient to try to come up with easy excuses.

What we will find out, as facts come trickling out, is this kid has had a long and troubled past.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Next

Return to In The News