AMA Just Adopted Sweeping Gun Control Policies

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: AMA Just Adopted Sweeping Gun Control Policies

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Mental health issues are on the rise. I would guess even among doctors. Maybe that explains the AMA?
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Ghost wrote:
jdege wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:The older i get the less i am impressed with Doctors. Some are skilled fewer are gifted and the vast majority are average smart with low people skills.

Every GP I've seen in the last 30 years has shown no interest in even trying to understand why.

Blood pressure high? Take a pill. Acid reflux? Take a pill.

None of them even considered trying to understand why my blood pressure might be high.

Manage symptoms and ignore the underlying cause, seems to be status quo for just about everything now.
Yeah, if you had rabies they'd prescribe anti-salivation pills.
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Hmac wrote:
jdege wrote:If you’re concerned that you are not getting good medical care from your doctor, you should be looking into alternatives. Dr. Google may be just the ticket for you and a good alternative to the substandard medical care you are apparently getting from your regular doctor.

I use my GP to sign off on tests. And nothing more.

Every issue I had been dealing with went away, one I got my insulin levels under control.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:53 pm

jdege wrote:
Hmac wrote:
jdege wrote:If you’re concerned that you are not getting good medical care from your doctor, you should be looking into alternatives. Dr. Google may be just the ticket for you and a good alternative to the substandard medical care you are apparently getting from your regular doctor.

I use my GP to sign off on tests. And nothing more.

Every issue I had been dealing with went away, one I got my insulin levels under control.

Generally how did you go about that? Watch your carb intake?
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Lumpy wrote:
Ghost wrote:
jdege wrote:Every GP I've seen in the last 30 years has shown no interest in even trying to understand why.

Blood pressure high? Take a pill. Acid reflux? Take a pill.

None of them even considered trying to understand why my blood pressure might be high.

Manage symptoms and ignore the underlying cause, seems to be status quo for just about everything now.
Yeah, if you had rabies they'd prescribe anti-salivation pills.

Naw, the shots are too much fun for them to not want to give them.

I’ve had them :( Moral of the story, be more careful when swinging a cat around by the tail.
Ghost

Postby jdege on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Ghost wrote:
jdege wrote:Every issue I had been dealing with went away, one I got my insulin levels under control.

Yep.

The only effective treatment for hyperinsulinemia is carbohydrate restriction.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:56 pm

jdege wrote:
Ghost wrote:
jdege wrote:Every issue I had been dealing with went away, one I got my insulin levels under control.

Yep.

Keto?
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Ghost wrote:
jdege wrote:
Ghost wrote:Yep.

Keto?

Keto is uber strict, I am looking at Paleo which seems pretty good. Since I am insulin resistant I need to look at diets.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Lumpy on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:53 pm

I've been on keto since January and I've lost forty pounds and four inches off my waist. Still a long ways to go (I'm still over 200) but my blood glucose is completely normal without meds now.

ETA: I would say your average American is more at risk of premature death from their body mass index than from guns.
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Ghost wrote:
jdege wrote:The only effective treatment for hyperinsulinemia is carbohydrate restriction.

Keto?

How strict you need to be differs from person to person, and even from one year to the next, for the same person.

When I started low carb I needed to be fairly strict. After a couple of years I found I could do a high carb day once a week. Ad few years later I found I couldn't, anymore.

People are different, and people change.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:06 am

Grayskies wrote:
Ghost wrote:
jdege wrote:Keto?

Keto is uber strict, I am looking at Paleo which seems pretty good. Since I am insulin resistant I need to look at diets.

If you don’t get into ketosis you aren’t getting the most benefit from it. I am able to consume around 100g of carb/day and stay in ketosis some have to be much more strict. Google the benefits of ketosis as its very advantageous.
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:09 am

Lumpy wrote:I've been on keto since January and I've lost forty pounds and four inches off my waist. Still a long ways to go (I'm still over 200) but my blood glucose is completely normal without meds now.

ETA: I would say your average American is more at risk of premature death from their body mass index than from guns.

Lumpy, I looked back and saw I recommended you try keto a while back for your fatigue, have you noticed any improvement there? Congratulations on your weight loss BTW.
Ghost

Postby jdege on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:16 am

Ghost wrote:If you don’t get into ketosis you aren’t getting the most benefit from it. I am able to consume around 100g of carb/day and stay in ketosis some have to be much more strict. Google the benefits of ketosis as its very advantageous.

You don't need to stay in ketosis 24x7 to get the benefits from it.

You can, if you're healthy, transition in and out of ketosis fairly easily.

If you can't, you're not healthy, and staying strict low-carb may fix it.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 am

jdege wrote:
Ghost wrote:If you don’t get into ketosis you aren’t getting the most benefit from it. I am able to consume around 100g of carb/day and stay in ketosis some have to be much more strict. Google the benefits of ketosis as its very advantageous.

You don't need to stay in ketosis 24x7 to get the benefits from it.

You can, if you're healthy, transition in and out of ketosis fairly easily.

If you can't, you're not healthy, and staying strict low-carb may fix it.

True, but you have to get into ketosis at some point or you are missing out
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:09 pm

Ghost wrote:
Lumpy wrote:I've been on keto since January and I've lost forty pounds and four inches off my waist. Still a long ways to go (I'm still over 200) but my blood glucose is completely normal without meds now.

Lumpy, I looked back and saw I recommended you try keto a while back for your fatigue, have you noticed any improvement there? Congratulations on your weight loss BTW.
That's kind of a strange thing: I still feel lousy most of the time, but I function at a higher level for a given amount of lousiness. Granted that so far I've only gone to merely obese, down from morbidly obese. I still have a ways to go before I could properly be described as "overweight", let alone "fit". We'll see.
Lumpy

PreviousNext

Return to In The News