AMA Just Adopted Sweeping Gun Control Policies

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

AMA Just Adopted Sweeping Gun Control Policies

Postby jdege on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 pm

America's Largest Physician's Group Just Adopted Sweeping Gun Control Policies
https://www.kqed.org/science/1925639/americas-largest-physicians-group-just-adopted-sweeping-gun-control-policies
With frustration mounting over lawmakers’ inaction on gun control, the American Medical Association on Tuesday pressed for a ban on assault weapons and came out against arming teachers as a way to fight what it calls a public health crisis.

Does Gun Ownership Really Make You Safer? Research Says No

At its annual policymaking meeting, the nation’s largest physicians group bowed to unprecedented demands from doctor-members to take a stronger stand on gun violence — a problem the organizations says is as menacing as a lethal infectious disease.
jdege

Re: AMA Just Adopted Sweeping Gun Control Policies

Postby Hmac on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:18 pm

About 13% of doctors are members of the AMA, even fewer if you take into account only practicing physicians.The vast majority have rejected that organization starting decades ago.
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 pm

Hmac wrote:About 13% of doctors are members of the AMA, even fewer if you take into account only practicing physicians.The vast majority have rejected that organization starting decades ago.

I would guess with this stupidity they are likely to lose more members rather than gain them.
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 am

A link with talking heads video from Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/13/am ... lence.html
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:58 am

The older i get the less i am impressed with Doctors. Some are skilled fewer are gifted and the vast majority are average smart with low people skills.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jdege on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:47 am

yukonjasper wrote:The older i get the less i am impressed with Doctors. Some are skilled fewer are gifted and the vast majority are average smart with low people skills.

Every GP I've seen in the last 30 years has shown no interest in even trying to understand why.

Blood pressure high? Take a pill. Acid reflux? Take a pill.

None of them even considered trying to understand why my blood pressure might be high.
jdege

Postby crbutler on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Hate to say it, but understanding why is not usually very helpful.

The vast majority of people won’t make a significant change, and holding off treatment has been found to have legal liability issues.

As to the AMA, well they got a response from me before this that the reason I’m not a member is their frequent forays into politics. I reminded them that the reason the NIH and CDC were banned from this research was they were caught playing politics with firearms research before.

Of course they ignored me.... and sent another “your voice is needed” email the next week.
crbutler

Postby jdege on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm

crbutler wrote:Hate to say it, but understanding why is not usually very helpful.

The vast majority of people won’t make a significant change, and holding off treatment has been found to have legal liability issues.

The problem is that legal liability isn't rationally assigned.

Most diabetics are living with far higher blood sugars than is healthy for them - levels that condemn them to progressive degeneration - because a slow decline doesn't expose the doctors to malpractice, after all everyone "knows" that diabetes is a progressive disease.

And because running blood sugars low enough to avoid the degeneration (fasting glucose below 85, A1C below 5.2) raises fears, in the medical community, of hypoglycemic incidents.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:13 pm

jdege wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:The older i get the less i am impressed with Doctors. Some are skilled fewer are gifted and the vast majority are average smart with low people skills.

Every GP I've seen in the last 30 years has shown no interest in even trying to understand why.

None of them even considered trying to understand why my blood pressure might be high.

Manage symptoms and ignore the underlying cause, seems to be status quo for just about everything now.
Ghost

Postby jdege on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Ghost wrote:
jdege wrote:Blood pressure high? Take a pill. Acid reflux? Take a pill.

Manage symptoms and ignore the underlying cause, seems to be status quo for just about everything now.

What really pissed me off wasn't that they were giving me pills to alleviate the symptoms while ignoring the underlying problem, they were giving me pills that made the underlying problem worse.
jdege

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:10 pm

I do respect doctors, but like entertainers, i don't look to them for any guidance on how to live my life and sure as hell don't look to them to guide my hobbies and interest. What I'm getting at is why do they think anyone cares what their stance is on the second amendment? Are the egos that huge?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Hmac on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:17 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I do respect doctors, but like entertainers, i don't look to them for any guidance on how to live my life and sure as hell don't look to them to guide my hobbies and interest. What I'm getting at is why do they think anyone cares what their stance is on the second amendment? Are the egos that huge?

It's not the stance of doctors. It's the stance of the AMA.
Hmac

Postby Hmac on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:20 pm

jdege wrote:

LOL. Google "primary hypertension" or "essential hypertension".
Hmac

Postby jdege on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Hmac wrote:
jdege wrote:None of them even considered trying to understand why my blood pressure might be high.

Google "hyperinsulinemia" and "hypertension".
jdege

Postby Hmac on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 pm

jdege wrote:
Hmac wrote:
jdege wrote:None of them even considered trying to understand why my blood pressure might be high.

Google "hyperinsulinemia" and "hypertension".

If you’re concerned that you are not getting good medical care from your doctor, you should be looking into alternatives. Dr. Google may be just the ticket for you and a good alternative to the substandard medical care you are apparently getting from your regular doctor.
Hmac

Next

Return to In The News