All Gun Charges Dropped

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: All Gun Charges Dropped

Postby Ghost on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:21 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I agree. This would be an excellent opportunity for the Civil Liberties Union to get involved and fight back on behalf of these wronged citizens. OK I'll stop talking nonsense. Who could they reach out to. Clearly this was a rush to judgment, bad decisions made all around, all in the name of grabbing some headlines and making the top of the newscast with face time on TV.

I think you have both scenarios in play here - incompetent zealot. There needs to be a response - who could back these guys - NRA?

I think you hit on something important. I think the timing of this case played a large part in the initial response.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:23 pm

I imagine all of that grew out of a sense of immunity needed to protect them while they do their job an make judgment calls in the spur of the moment. I wouldn't characterize this sort of activity as such, so I agree with you, there is no good excuse for storming a house and confiscating. The tactics are reminiscent of all the bad stories you hear about Banana Republic dictatorships and parts of the globe devoid of human rights and due process.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Randygmn on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Randygmn wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:I agree. This would be an excellent opportunity for the Civil Liberties Union to get involved and fight back on behalf of these wronged citizens. OK I'll stop talking nonsense. Who could they reach out to. Clearly this was a rush to judgment, bad decisions made all around, all in the name of grabbing some headlines and making the top of the newscast with face time on TV.

I think you have both scenarios in play here - incompetent zealot. There needs to be a response - who could back these guys - NRA?

I read somewhere else today about a similar law enforcement overreach and arrests, when they shut down an open carry protest in Miami the other day (even after the protestors had the courtesy to inform the police beforehand with a telephone call). There was one particular comment that stood out to me:

Citizens have no legal defense when it comes to ignorance of the law. Why does law enforcement get a pass, without the pain of stiff penalties/consequences, especially when it’s literally their job to know?

Since there was a new development in the last 15 minutes about the story in Florida, I thought I’d share what’s happened:

Here’s a breakdown of the original story in Florida. Florida has no open carry, but is permissible while “fishing”. In protest of no open carry, some gun enthusiasts went “fishing”. And gave law enforcement a courtesy call so they didn’t think they had an emergency on their hands.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... ry-rights/

Story 2 from Florida police officers perspective (pro gun)
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... -incident/

And right on cue, this story came out 10 minutes ago that those falsely arrested will be suing!!!!
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... etentions/
Randygmn

Postby Sorcerer on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:28 am

In ours the felony charges were dropped and the case returned to the city for the misdemeanor charges. The firearms won’t be returned until the city try’s its hand or drops its charges. Then he will need his lawyer again.
Sorcerer

Postby Ghost on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:14 pm

Was thinking about this earlier because the weird event in New York last night. Did anything further happen to these people?
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:00 pm

I missed the weird event in New York......I bet lots of weird stuff happens in new York....what should I search for?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:44 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I missed the weird event in New York......I bet lots of weird stuff happens in new York....what should I search for?

https://heavy.com/news/2019/11/whiskey-warrior-565-alex/
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:01 pm

Ghost wrote:Was thinking about this earlier because the weird event in New York last night. Did anything further happen to these people?

With regards to the Vandals Hgts incident:
If I correctly recall, there was but one charge: carelessness/ leaving a firearm accessible to the kid, which went uncontested. But all the major, serious federal/ NFA stuff evaporated. The guy who was sheriff was defeated, and went back to being a bureaucrat in the SPPD.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 pm

xd ED wrote:
Ghost wrote:Was thinking about this earlier because the weird event in New York last night. Did anything further happen to these people?

If I correctly recall, there was but one charge: carelessness/ leaving a firearm accessible to the kid, which went uncontested. But all the major, serious federal/ NFA stuff evaporated. The guy who was sheriff was defeated, and went back to being a bureaucrat in the SPPD.

Was curious if the victim ever tested legal options
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Ghost wrote:
xd ED wrote:

Was curious if the victim ever tested legal options

I am curious about that aspect as well. I have not read anything, and don't have any inside knowledge.
I would have liked to see the county, and sheriff personally lose a pound of flesh, even if it cost me as a county resident.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Why do you say it was weird?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:16 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

Why do you say it was weird?

Well he streamed it saying he was red flagged and it was over a 30 round mag and the police threatened his wife with CPS to take his guns.

The police originally said they heard a gunshot but he has no guns and none were found.

He’s now charged with burglary and some other items but nothing for the actual standoff and no talk of a magazine or safe act violation.

Plus people apparently showed up to support him but there’s no video and they claim the police shut off his Instagram feed plus jammed all cell traffic in the area.

Quite the response for an unarmed man.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:57 am

Didn’t he have a current warrant at the time? Sorry I do not use such people for my poster children.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:03 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Didn’t he have a current warrant at the time? Sorry I do not use such people for my poster children.

We aren’t sure. Never said he was a poster child.
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:36 pm

In general, any arrests/charges related to guns are always hyped in the news, while dismissals or acquittals of said charges months later for lack of substantiation are ignored. Thus the anti-gun narrative in the media.
Lumpy

PreviousNext

Return to In The News