Who teaches this tactic??

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby BigBlue on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:39 am

Because I've never heard of shooting *out* through your own vehicle's windshield before... This is just crazy.

Las Vegas police pursuit, shootout with suspects
BigBlue

Re: Who teaches this tactic??

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:32 am

I have to believe the path of those rounds were radically altered after they impact the windshield. Hard to know if any of the Through the windshield shots were effective. Ultimately he was successful. Would be interesting to know if the errant round caused any damage or injuries.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby photogpat on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 am

FBI protocols specify bullet performance through windshield glass specifically for situations like this - or the reverse of an officer/agent shooting through a windshield at a driver. The bullet path may be altered, but the bullet itself will still perform.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby rtk on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:54 am

It's nothing new, but I would recommend having eye protection on when doing it.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:52 am

Wow, that officer has brass balls. Climbing out of the car with the slide locked back on his pistol.

That could have quickly turned sideways on him.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:40 pm

2 more lowlifes caught/killed. Should have just killed the other one. Pretty wild shooting but glad it worked. Chalk one up for the good guys.
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:18 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I have to believe the path of those rounds were radically altered after they impact the windshield. Hard to know if any of the Through the windshield shots were effective. Ultimately he was successful. Would be interesting to know if the errant round caused any damage or injuries.

Years ago (35 now) I was involved in testing various calibers, loadings, projectile design in shooting thru the windshield and the doors to incapacitate the "bad guy". We video-taped the entire testing and it was distributed to various Police Departments in a different state. Some scenarios the projectile acted way differently than normal thought practice evolved. 45Auto Ball ammo was the worst unless it was about 90 degrees from the surface - but a "double tap" usually allowed the second projectile to enter windshield almost on sight line. Other cartridges were tested but the good old 44 magnum was best in most cases "Go ahead, make my day". But no police department allows this cartridge for issue to officers.

We did NO testing from inside to outside thru the windshield but common sense would say the first round would be sacrificed to permit an accurate second round to be fired until intense defense situations. He did lower his window prior to shooting so he did know it would be loud. Still it would take a large set of balls to attempt in a test scenario. I've been in a truck where a 30-06 discharged behind my head and I attribute my left ear hearing loss to that situation. A 12 gauge thru the floorboards of and old truck taking out the front wheel won't be discussed.

How many of you would even consider this practice, especially before you saw this video ???
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:58 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote: I've been in a truck where a 30-06 discharged behind my head and I attribute my left ear hearing loss to that situation. A 12 gauge thru the floorboards of and old truck taking out the front wheel won't be discussed.

Damn
Ghost

Postby atomic41 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:20 pm

It's actually taught by several people in vehicle combat training and some law enforcement. Here's a couple from a quick youtube search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS9918S5pHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5locEWj1rMU
atomic41

Postby Ironbear on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:55 pm

I saw a video in the last couple years where a parked officer, was attacked and shot out though the windshield. If you do a search on YouTube, you can find a body cam vid of an officer going at it, during a high speed chase, with an AR benched on the dash!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Randygmn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:18 pm

A few months ago I saw something similar. An officer started ahooting his AR15, ONE HANDED, lol, through his windshield as he followed a suspect. If I recall correctly, he shot so many rounds he had to do a mag change. It was a little different as it was a high speed chase, though. I’m gonna see if I can find and link the video.

Edit: a few months ago, lol. More like 18 months ago. Anyway, here it is.
https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/11/0 ... eed-chase/
Randygmn

Postby Pat Cannon on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 pm

This was addressed at the (highly recommended) Box O' Truth website. Basically, the windshield deflects the rounds upward.
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-buick- ... insideout/
Pat Cannon

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Damn I just had my windshield replaced today, could have practiced shooting it out first. Wasted opportunity I guess.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News