Toronto mass shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Toronto mass shooting

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:21 am

Looks like they had a 'mass shooting' in Toronto. But I thought they had all these strict gun control laws there so that doesn't happen??

2 dead after man shoots 14 people in Toronto

This quote was from a similar story in the Red Star, which I try not to link to...

Mass shootings are rare in Canada's largest city.

"We were so use to living in a city where these things didn't happen," Toronto Mayor John Tory said. "But there are things that happen nowadays and they are just unspeakable."

This past weekend Toronto police deployed dozens of additional officers to deal with a recent spike in gun violence in the city. Tory said the city has a gun problem.

"Guns are too readily available to too many people," Tory said.

Goes to show that no matter how strict the gun control laws are, any time one it used in a crime the anti-gun haters will call for tighter laws. That is why we must always push back... because they will never stop their quest to ban them. No law is ever enough for them. And why? Because criminals will always find ways to be criminals and do bad things. So they are focusing on the wrong things. The object, not the bad people.

BB
BigBlue

Re: Toronto mass shooting

Postby hammAR on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:42 am

Is Toronto known for gun violence?

Gun violence is much rarer in Canada than over the border in the US, but Toronto has seen attacks increase dramatically in recent years.

Police data also shows the number of shootings in Toronto more than doubled between 2014 and 2017 - from 177 to 395.

Mr Trudeau's ruling Liberal party wants tougher background checks, including screening people with a history of violence.

_102650326_chart-toronto_shooting-hscjj-nc.png
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby jdege on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:58 am

Gun violence is much rarer in Canada than over the border in the US, but Toronto has seen attacks increase dramatically in recent years.

Have you compared violent crime rates in Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia with Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and Washington?
jdege

Postby Ghost on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 am

jdege wrote:

Have you compared violent crime rates in Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia with Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and Washington?

Always question fake news
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Faisal Hussain ID'd as gunman in deadly Danforth shooting spree

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4757566
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:55 pm

I guess when your country's media is not working overtime to vilify guns for the purpose of political gain (read: push gun control) it isn't crucial to go into great detail about the gun used and how 'semi-automatic' it is or 'assault' whatever. It was just a pistol.
BigBlue

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:06 am

On the news this morning I heard the Toronto Mayor say "Why do people need guns in this city"? I see the possibility of the Canucks rights going downhill.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 am

Their rights are already in bad shape. Everytime I want to complain about America, I thank God that my Grandparents kept moving south when they showed up from Croatia at the turn of the last century. Parts of the extended family still live up there. Talking to them, makes me happy to still have what we have and a chance to fight to keep it.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:40 pm

Here's an article, with the part of the speech I mentioned above.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/33450/after-deadly-shooting-toronto-mayor-asks-why-does-hank-berrien?utm_medium=email&utm_content=072418-news&utm_campaign=position6

Tory stated:

I have said for some time that this city has a gun problem and that guns are far too readily available for far too many people. This is an international problem and this is a domestic problem. There are far too many people carrying around guns in our city and our region who should not have them. You’ve heard me ask the question of why anybody would need to buy 10 or 20 guns, which they can lawfully do under the present laws. And that leads to another question we need to discuss: Why does anyone in this city need to have a gun at all?
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby jdege on Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:31 pm

And that leads to another question we need to discuss: Why does anyone in this city need to have a gun at all?

That's simple.
Because we have idiots running around shooting people.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:09 pm

jdege wrote:
And that leads to another question we need to discuss: Why does anyone in this city need to have a gun at all?

That's simple.
Because we have idiots running around shooting people.

Hmmmmm
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Toronto shooting rampage: New details emerge about gunman Faisal Hussain

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/faisal ... 018-07-24/

But a law enforcement source told CBS News that Faisal Hussain visited Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) websites and may have expressed support for the terrorist group. They were looking into whether Hussain may have lived at one time in Afghanistan and possibly Pakistan, the source said. There is no indication that Hussain was directed by ISIS to carry out the attack.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Grayskies on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:52 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/International/is ... d=56804560

ISIS had claimed credit for the Sunday night attack which killed an 18-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl. Police said the attack was not linked to terrorism.

A statement from the group's Amaq agency, translated from Arabic, reads in part:

"The person who carried out the attack on the city of Toronto in south-east Canada on Sunday evening is one of the soldiers of the Islamic State and he carried out the attack in response to calls for targeting citizens of the coalition countries."

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Grayskies on Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:46 pm

WARMINGTON: Danforth shooter was 'armed for war,' sources say

https://torontosun.com/news/crime/warmi ... oplay=true

“He was armed for war,” said a source. “The cost of having that weaponry would be extensive. That kind of stuff does not come cheap.”

One officer said in his years on the job, he has never come across a shooter better with a gun than Hussain.

“He was very proficient,” said the officer. “I can’t imagine he could change magazines on the run, avoid jamming and hit targets as accurately as he did, had he not had some firearms training and experience.”

There is so much in this story to unpack...

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Grayskies wrote:https://abcnews.go.com/International/isis-claims-responsibility-toronto-attack-police-shooting-linked/story?id=56804560

ISIS had claimed credit for the Sunday night attack which killed an 18-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl. Police said the attack was not linked to terrorism.

A statement from the group's Amaq agency, translated from Arabic, reads in part:

"The person who carried out the attack on the city of Toronto in south-east Canada on Sunday evening is one of the soldiers of the Islamic State and he carried out the attack in response to calls for targeting citizens of the coalition countries."

I don't believe ISIS on anything
Ghost

Next

Return to In The News