Good Shoot

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Good Shoot

Postby Grayskies on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 am

Rodentman wrote:I have HC plates. I don't intervene if someone is illegally parked in an HC spot. I don't see an upside to picking a fight. I did so once several years ago and the driver kept flashing some kind of gesture to me (not the bird; seemed like some kind of gang sign) which of course meant nothing to me. Nothing good could have come from an escalation and it could have gone south. I park as close as I can if the HC spots are taken, or I go somewhere else.

I have HC plates as well, when I just had the thing I would hang on the mirror I could forget to display it (which is why I have the plates).

I agree it's not worth a fight, they may have forgot like I did, otherwise I will let karma deal with it.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ironbear on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 pm

More comments from The Law of Self Defense author (and attorney) Andrew Branca.
https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/08/manslaughter-charges-filed-in-florida-handicap-parking-spot-shooting/
Last edited by Ironbear on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Grayskies on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Ironbear wrote:More comments from The Law of Self Defense author (and attorney) Andrew Branca.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/08/m ... -shooting/

Fixed the URL.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 pm

I haven’t really followed or read anything on this. I just watched the video and I could see this going either way.

I don’t think the guy needed to shoot (It seemed the gun coming out may have influenced a retreat) but after getting knocked down it wouldn’t be a stretch to assume that a kick and beating may follow (I watch too much YouTube) and just the act of getting knocked down has killed people. This guy obviously didn’t get hurt from being knocked down so he wasn’t dead which means was the threat over or just starting. He assumed the later and I assumed the former but his assumption is likely reasonable.

Man slaughter will be easier to prosecute than murder.
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:03 pm

I "feel" this is a bad shoot, as I remember the "soon to be dead guy" was backing away.

I wonder if the shooter might not have intended to shoot but had a finger on the trigger and with the adrenaline it went off, so he is going with self defence?

Also if the "soon to be dead guy" was close enough the shooter might have been worried about being tackled and disarmed before he could get a shot off?

In any event the shooter was wrong to confront Mr STBDG he should have called 911 or talk to the store manager IMO or grabbed a cheese burger some place or...

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Grayskies wrote:I "feel" this is a bad shoot, as I remember the "soon to be dead guy" was backing away.

I wonder if the shooter might not have intended to shoot but had a finger on the trigger and with the adrenaline it went off, so he is going with self defence?

Also if the "soon to be dead guy" was close enough the shooter might have been worried about being tackled and disarmed before he could get a shot off?

In any event the shooter was wrong to confront Mr STBDG he should have called 911 or talk to the store manager IMO or grabbed a cheese burger some place or...

My comments above are based on the video I don’t even know the backstory of this when ******** collide situation.
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:42 pm

This is all wait and see, tho I doubt we will ever get real answers with the current crop of lazy a__ed biased reporters.

BTW I think my spell check on my new galaxy has been hijacked by leftists, it wants me to replace biased with under reported!

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Randygmn on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Grayskies wrote:I "feel" this is a bad shoot, as I remember the "soon to be dead guy" was backing away.

Actually, the shooter had NO interaction at all with the “pusher”, before he was slammed to the ground. Press accounts said that mr McGlockton didn’t even say a word to the guy before intitiatong violence. Fwiw.
Randygmn

Postby Grayskies on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:16 pm

Randygmn wrote:

Actually, the shooter had NO interaction at all with the “pusher”, before he was slammed to the ground. Press accounts said that mr McGlockton didn’t even say a word to the guy before intitiatong violence. Fwiw.

The report I read said they argued first. Not saying you are wrong. The news media gets so much wrong these days :(

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Randygmn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 am

Grayskies wrote:
Randygmn wrote:

The report I read said they argued first. Not saying you are wrong. The news media gets so much wrong these days :(

My understanding from news accounts immediately after the incident was that the woman alerted her boyrfriend in the store by text message. He came out of the store, and didn’t exchange a single word with the shooter before he attacked. What I haven’t been able to determine is if anything was said in the 4 seconds between the attack and the shooting. That will be critical. And the one neutral witness may hold the keys to the kingdom here. I am sure the police interviewed that witness, so we’ll have to wait until the proceedings to find out what, if anything was said.
Randygmn

Postby Ironbear on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:44 am

Some reports are coming out that he has had previous "road rage" incidents.
https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2018/08/10/records-show-road-rage-and-gun-threats-in-florida-stand-your-ground-shooters-past/

While they don't directly apply to the the shooting, they are likely to paint him as a bit of a hothead. I expect his past behavior will come back to bite him in court.

A good reminder that a carry permit and gun don't mix well with a short temper and ego; and carries the potential to make your lawyer's job a lot harder.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Previous

Return to In The News