Good Shoot

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Good Shoot

Postby minnesotatv on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:29 am

Florida sheriff says 'Stand Your Ground' law prevents arrest

A Florida sheriff says the state’s “Stand Your Ground” law prevents
the arrest of a man who fatally shot another man last week during
an argument over a handicapped parking spot.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/22/fl ... spute.html
minnesotatv

Re: Good Shoot

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:59 am

When idiots collide...
BigBlue

Postby Randygmn on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:29 am

The shooter had a history of creating drama at the same store, over the same handicapped parking space, and even once brandished his pistol, although he was never charged. His attacker has a long rap sheet with 5 felonies, though not germane to this incident. Once SYG is invoked, for all intents and purposes, the sherrif has his hands tied. This case is far from clear, or over. It is now in the hands of the prosecutor and I do expect him to be charged. From a local Minnesota perspective, even without SYG, there’s no doubt he would be charged (whether you agree or not), as he clearly is NOT an “unwilling participant”. Should be an instructive lesson on what not to do. Including from the start.....don’t be you’re local, non-deputized policeman (unless it involves your own property or loved ones). There’s no good to come from that sort of behavior.
Randygmn

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:02 am

Randygmn wrote:Should be an instructive lesson on what not to do. Including from the start.....don’t be you’re local, non-deputized policeman (unless it involves your own property or loved ones). There’s no good to come from that sort of behavior.

And a lesson for the other type... the bad-ass, pushy, cocky type that think they can bully other people. Buddy, you were in the wrong, your girlfriend was in the wrong, just admit it, avoid confrontation and move along (and learn from it). No, I don't agree with "mister self-proclaimed policeman" at all. Both of these folks were feckless a-holes and neither belongs in this world. 50% success rate here.
BigBlue

Postby Randygmn on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:30 am

BigBlue wrote:
Randygmn wrote:Should be an instructive lesson on what not to do. Including from the start.....don’t be you’re local, non-deputized policeman (unless it involves your own property or loved ones). There’s no good to come from that sort of behavior.

And a lesson for the other type... the bad-ass, pushy, cocky type that think they can bully other people. Buddy, you were in the wrong, your girlfriend was in the wrong, just admit it, avoid confrontation and move along (and learn from it). No, I don't agree with "mister self-proclaimed policeman" at all. Both of these folks were feckless a-holes and neither belongs in this world. 50% success rate here.

Couldn’t agree more. I despise the hyper agressive bully types who uses intimidation and violence to assert themselves. Especially those who use the “what are you looking at”, implied threat. There’s no place in a civilized society for those types. I’m glad he’s dead.
Randygmn

Postby Randygmn on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:01 am

Here’s an excellent breakdown of what happened. Sage advice, too, for those of us that carry for self defense.

https://youtu.be/8TBXz2_o0KM
Randygmn

Postby ex-LT on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 am

While it may have been a justified shoot, I have an issue with calling it a "good" shoot. To me, a good shoot serves as an example of how the shooter did/does everything possible to avoid the confrontation, and only uses deadly force as a last resort. As Randygmn pointed out, this should be used as an example of what not to do.

I can practically guarantee this incident will be trotted out by every Bloomberg-supported, hoplophobic group in the country as an example of what will happen if shall issue and SYG laws are passed.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Ironbear on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:09 am

ex-LT wrote:While it may have been a justified shoot, I have an issue with calling it a "good" shoot.

Yes! I just came back to comment on this... to find you beat me to it.

Can we just stop using the term "good shoot" already? They are never good....even if they are justified. Even in the case of a legitimate self-defensive use of a firearm... I am sure most normal people would rather it not have happened! And trotting this example out as a "good shoot" is idiotic, there was nothing "good" about this one.... 100% avoidable.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby crbutler on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:46 am

And the shooter ensured that places like us here will have a huge mountain to climb to get any stand your ground type law passed.

Over a fricking parking spot...geez
crbutler

Postby Ghost on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:54 am

crbutler wrote:Over a fricking parking spot...geez

Bingo
Ghost

Postby Ironbear on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:26 pm

"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Ghost wrote:
crbutler wrote:Over a fricking parking spot...geez

Bingo

In a way that's a true statement, but on the other hand the bad-ass doesn't really seem to have known what the issue was and just intervened based on seeing someone talking harshly to his girlfriend. It could have been an entirely reasonable/justifiable scenario between the guy and the girlfriend before bad-ass arrived and it likely would have resulted in the shove anyway. So, yes, if dingbat #1 wasn't being 'parking patrol boy' this wouldn't have happened, but that was just part of the problem. As said earlier, two *********** came together here but life only fixed 50% of them.

BB
BigBlue

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:16 am

It's easy for us to "backseat quarterback" this. If anyone of us were the person that had been violently shoved to the ground, and the person that did the shoving was still close (less than 21'), it would be hard, to not Stop The Threat.

The guy complaining about the H/C Parking spot, should have simply called the police, and let them handle it. He didn't and was in a verbal confrontation, until such point as the boyfriend came up and shoved him to the ground. Now, it's a physical altercation, and nothing good, could have came out of that situation.

Just my $.02
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Rodentman on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:03 am

I have HC plates. I don't intervene if someone is illegally parked in an HC spot. I don't see an upside to picking a fight. I did so once several years ago and the driver kept flashing some kind of gesture to me (not the bird; seemed like some kind of gang sign) which of course meant nothing to me. Nothing good could have come from an escalation and it could have gone south. I park as close as I can if the HC spots are taken, or I go somewhere else.
Rodentman

Postby Randygmn on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:25 am

Annnnnnd...
He’s been arrested. For manslaughter.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/13/sh ... ghter.html
Randygmn

Next

Return to In The News