Breaking News: ATF Is Classifying .50 Cal Bolt Action AR Upp

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... s-firearm/

If this sticks, you can kiss any upper mailed to your door goodbye.
Bearcatrp

Re: Breaking News: ATF Is Classifying .50 Cal Bolt Action AR Upp

Postby nhluke on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:19 pm

Sounds like I should start a company making 80 percent uppers ha!
nhluke

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 pm

If I'm reading this correctly, it specifically applies to Bolt Action Uppers, and should not affect a normal AR-Type Semi-Auto upper?

The 50 BMG uppers they are referring too, are of the Bolt Action type, not Semi-Auto. Am I missing something in the info?
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ghost on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 pm

BigDog58 wrote:If I'm reading this correctly, it specifically applies to Bolt Action Uppers, and should not affect a normal AR-Type Semi-Auto upper?

The 50 BMG uppers they are referring too, are of the Bolt Action type, not Semi-Auto. Am I missing something in the info?

You are correct. Could be incrementalism though.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 am

Give the government an inch, they will take 100 miles! Hoping the 50BMG upper makers appeal this. I can see the ATF expanding this to all uppers as time goes. I'll be buying a few plain uppers to have in stock just in case this crap does expand.
Bearcatrp

Postby hard h2o on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:08 am

Makes sense to me.

A bolt action receiver is the firearm. Not he wood, plastic, chassis stock.

The lower in this case is akin to the stock on a traditional bolt action firearm. The "upper" is a bolt action receiver.

Can you take a bolt action AR type upper and use it as the basis of a firearm? I would think it could be independent of an AR lower and be made to function.
hard h2o

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:14 am

Never held one of the uppers in question but since it pairs to a regular AR lower I assume it does not have a trigger/hammer combo built in unlike the one-piece bolt action receiver...
gun_fan111v2

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:23 pm

I had a safety harbors 50BMG upper. Just bolt, barrel and upper. It cannot fire without a lower.
Bearcatrp

Postby Erud on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:18 pm

BigDog58 wrote:If I'm reading this correctly, it specifically applies to Bolt Action Uppers, and should not affect a normal AR-Type Semi-Auto upper?

Is there a semi-auto .50 cal upper that fits an AR lower? If so, how the heck does it work? :cogitating:
Erud

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:25 pm

hard h2o wrote:Makes sense to me.

A bolt action receiver is the firearm. Not he wood, plastic, chassis stock.

The lower in this case is akin to the stock on a traditional bolt action firearm. The "upper" is a bolt action receiver.

Can you take a bolt action AR type upper and use it as the basis of a firearm? I would think it could be independent of an AR lower and be made to function.

The problem is the ATF already classifies an AR15 lower as a firearm. Also a gun stock does not contain the trigger, it is simply a piece of wood. This is a poor comparison. When assembled it would be 2 firearms not 1. It makes absolutely no sense. It would be like classifying a new Glock slide as a firearm. It can't ship to your door, and requires a 4473. These are gun parts, just like any upper. This is a slippery slope...
Sigfan220

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:32 pm

Erud wrote:

Is there a semi-auto .50 cal upper that fits an AR lower? If so, how the heck does it work? :cogitating:

Yup. .50 Beowulf, .50 AE, Probably a few wildcats.
Holland&Holland

Postby Erud on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:30 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Erud wrote:

Yup. .50 Beowulf, .50 AE, Probably a few wildcats.

Ok, I guess I meant .50 BMG, since that’s what the ATF letter seems to be specifically addressing. Sorry for not being more clear.
Erud

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:19 am

From what research I was able to do, and info I was able to find, in our 50 Cal Forum Archives, I did not find a Semi-Automatic 50 BMG Upper that would attach to a regular AR-15 Lower.

All that I could locate, were bolt action. Some Single Shot, some Magazine Fed.

If there was one, OldmanFCSA will be the go to guy on that one. Hopefully he'll see this, and chime in.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:09 am

NO SEMI-AUTO 50BMG UPPERS EXIST, with uppers defined as fitting on an AR-15 or on an AR-10 LOWER.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:57 am

Is this really that shocking? If you try to buy a stripped bolt action receiver from Brownells it is considered the firearm and must go through an FFL.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to In The News