NRA Going Belly up?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

NRA Going Belly up?

Postby LarryP on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Read a few articles lately saying the NRA is in deep financial trouble, Might have to dissolve.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nra-major-fin ... 19197.html

Can you imagine what will happen if they fail? :o
LarryP

Re: NRA Going Belly up?

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:06 pm

My thoughts.
1) Anti's wishful thinking
2) Fundraising gimmick.
3) Lawsuit hyperbole.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:My thoughts.
1) Anti's wishful thinking
2) Fundraising gimmick.
3) Lawsuit hyperbole.

Agreed
Ghost

Postby Ironbear on Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Lawsuits require damages....
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby jdege on Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:19 pm

LarryP wrote:Read a few articles lately saying the NRA is in deep financial trouble, Might have to dissolve.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nra-major-fin ... 19197.html

Can you imagine what will happen if they fail? :o

These are based on the NRA's cautions of damages in their lawsuit against Cuomo and New York.

And they don't say that the NRA is out of money, but that the NRA will not be able to continue as a business if New York can prevent them from entering into normal financial relationships with banks and insurance companies.

Which is true.

What Bloomberg and Cuomo are doing is an existential threat to everyone's liberty.
jdege

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:50 pm

The insurance aspect of this is a big deal. I think it was a bad move by the NRA to get into the Carry Insurance business.

Lloyd's was always considered the insurer of last resort.

LONDON (Reuters) - Lloyd’s of London [SOLYD.UL] said on Wednesday it would direct underwriters to terminate all insurance offered, marketed, endorsed or otherwise made available through the National Rifle Association of America.

More at link https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lloyds-of-london-nra/lloyds-underwriters-told-to-stop-insurance-linked-to-nra-idUSKBN1IA1T5
Jackpine Savage

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:The insurance aspect of this is a big deal. I think it was a bad move by the NRA to get into the Carry Insurance business.

LONDON (Reuters) - Lloyd’s of London [SOLYD.UL] said on Wednesday it would direct underwriters to terminate all insurance offered, marketed, endorsed or otherwise made available through the National Rifle Association of America.

More at link https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lloyds-of-london-nra/lloyds-underwriters-told-to-stop-insurance-linked-to-nra-idUSKBN1IA1T5

Others were making money at offering it. Does not seem that poor of a business decision in context.
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Jackpine Savage wrote:The insurance aspect of this is a big deal. I think it was a bad move by the NRA to get into the Carry Insurance business.

Others were making money at offering it. Does not seem that poor of a business decision in context.

It put them in competition with groups that supported them. And I don't think all of them are in it for the money, such as the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. And of course in retrospect it also made them a bigger target.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Hind sight is often 20/20 but I do not think it was a bad decision at the time. I do get what you are saying about the competition with like minded groups. Just feel that in a free market if one can offer a better product at a better price (not saying the NRA one was this) one wins the competition war.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News