At least 71 shot, 12 killed in Chicago over violent weekend

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:41 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/08/06/chicago-violence-leaves-71-shot-11-dead-weekend/914141002/

CHICAGO—At least 71 people were shot, including 11 fatally, over the weekend in Chicago, marking a chilling spasm of violence for a city that has struggled with murders and shootings in recent years even as the national homicide rate hovers near historic lows.

There Gun Control Laws are REALLY Working in Chiraq :gun:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: At least 71 shot, 12 killed in Chicago over violent weekend

Postby jdege on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:51 am

Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson blames the violence, in part, on gun laws that he says aren't stringent enough to dissuade criminals from using a weapon. But he also said police needs more help from the community so authorities can identify, arrest and prosecute culprits.

I only have one question.

How many of the shooters were:
  • individuals for whom possession of a firearm is illegal, because of prior convictions or drug use, and
  • who had been arrested while in possession of a firearm, within the last five years, and
  • were out on the streets, instead of in prison serving their "mandatory" sentence in a federal prison?
jdege

Postby Ghost on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:47 pm

jdege wrote:
Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson blames the violence, in part, on gun laws that he says aren't stringent enough to dissuade criminals from using a weapon. But he also said police needs more help from the community so authorities can identify, arrest and prosecute culprits.

I only have one question.

How many of the shooters were:
  • individuals for whom possession of a firearm is illegal, because of prior convictions or drug use, and
  • who had been arrested while in possession of a firearm, within the last five years, and
  • were out on the streets, instead of in prison serving their "mandatory" sentence in a federal prison?

I’ll guess 90 of them. I bet they didn’t all make the news.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 pm

If you're on Fecesbook you should check out the comments on KARE11's story posted on this news item. Got some rational people commenting and then you have the rest. "It's all Indiana's fault for having 'lax' gun laws!!"

BB
BigBlue

Postby Randygmn on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm

BigBlue wrote:If you're on Fecesbook you should check out the comments on KARE11's story posted on this news item. Got some rational people commenting and then you have the rest. "It's all Indiana's fault for having 'lax' gun laws!!"

BB

Hmmm- then why weren’t 70 people shot in Indiana this weekend too?
Randygmn

Postby BigBlue on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Randygmn wrote:Hmmm- then why weren’t 70 people shot in Indiana this weekend too?

Duh. It's density:

Just doing a little math Chicago has an average of 11,560 people per square mile compared to 183 in Indiana. Another reason you don't see as much gun violence in Indiana.

You can't make this stuff up...
BigBlue

Postby Ghost on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:42 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Randygmn wrote:Hmmm- then why weren’t 70 people shot in Indiana this weekend too?

Duh. It's density:

Just doing a little math Chicago has an average of 11,560 people per square mile compared to 183 in Indiana. Another reason you don't see as much gun violence in Indiana.

LoL
Ghost

Postby Erud on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 pm

I’m impressed. A community really has to pull together to put up numbers like that!
Erud

Postby dismal on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:33 pm

BigBlue wrote:

Duh. It's density:

NW Indiana has a pretty similar density, with far fewer problems.
dismal

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:58 am

Erud wrote:I’m impressed. A community really has to pull together to put up numbers like that!

It takes organizing, the best organizing. There’s no better organizing than Chicago, they’re great,truly great.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:48 am

Ghost wrote:
Erud wrote:I’m impressed. A community really has to pull together to put up numbers like that!

It takes organizing, the best organizing. There’s no better organizing than Chicago, they’re great,truly great.

Of course. They have such great leadership around them. Rahm 'dead fish' Emanuel and the 'bummer. I mean, that's world class right there.
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:36 am

Is it politically incorrect to suggest building a wall around Chicago?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:19 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Is it politically incorrect to suggest building a wall around Chicago?

Seems reasonable but let’s do it after IMTS
Ghost

Return to In The News