Amnesty International: US gun laws violate human rights

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Amnesty International: US gun laws violate human rights

Postby jdege on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:19 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/12/us-gun-control-human-rights-amnesty-international
'A human rights crisis': US accused of failing to protect citizens from gun violence

American gun violence is “a human rights crisis” and the US government’s refusal to pass gun control laws represents a violation of its citizens’ right to life, according to a new report by Amnesty International.

“The USA is failing to protect individuals and communities most at risk of gun violence, in violation of international human rights law,” Amnesty argues. “The right to live free from violence, discrimination and fear has been superseded by a sense of entitlement to own a practically unlimited array of deadly weapons.”

To address the crisis of gun homicide, suicide and injury that leaves about 38,000 Americans dead and 116,000 wounded each year, Amnesty recommends the US pass a sweeping set of gun control measures, including universal background checks, the requirement of a valid license to buy a gun, no gun purchases for those under 21, a ban on certain military-style weapons and ammunition, and the creation of a digitized national gun registry.
jdege

Re: Amnesty International: US gun laws violate human rights

Postby Lumpy on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:41 pm

And the Left mocks "The U.N. wants to take away our guns" as paranoid...
Lumpy

Postby xd ED on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 pm

In other news:

Amnesty International goes all in for abortion

July 17, 2018 (Society for the Protection of Unborn Children) – Amnesty International has changed its abortion policy to one of broad support for "safe and legal abortion".

In 2007, the human rights organisation dropped its neutral position on abortion, but insisted that it only opposed criminalising abortion, and didn't "promote it as a human right". However, after years of aggressively promoting abortion all over the world, this pretence has now been dropped....
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Ha, I’ve been in Chicago for a week and a half and haven’t been shot. The US is safe.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:52 pm

What conclusion did you think they would come too? Look at the moonbats that are members, same Hollywood elites and Right coast hippies that belong to all of those super Left wing groups.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Randygmn on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:36 pm

You’d think that those with the phrase “common sense” in their agenda would understand there’s no such thing as inanimate object violence, but instead, criminal violence. Between mandatory minimums, enhanced firearm sentencing, rectivism sentencing, eliminating parole and robust death penalty prosecutions and executions, we could reduce our already historically reduced violence rates. As far as the very few, yet incredibly tragic school shootings, allow willing teachers and school staff to carry concealed. Obviously, there are common sense remedies available to We the People. Unfortunately, until the overwhelming majority of citizens choose to rebuke the democrat party for a few generations, our national coddling of criminals will continue.
Randygmn

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Amnesty International Aka Democrats can kiss my behind. Not on the left side, not on the right side, but right in the middle. Another organization that should be banned. Next thing you know is PETA will condemn gun violence because the loss of dead owners to gun violence.
In other news, I slept at a holiday inn express without dying from gun violence!
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Ghost wrote:Ha, I’ve been in Chicago for a week and a half and haven’t been shot. The US is safe.

Your not on the right side of Chicago. Go to east side. Yell your a trump supporter. You will be dead quick. If you do that, will me your Jeep before doing that. :D
Bearcatrp

Postby Randygmn on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:09 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
Ghost wrote:Ha, I’ve been in Chicago for a week and a half and haven’t been shot. The US is safe.

Your not on the right side of Chicago. Go to east side. Yell your a trump supporter. You will be dead quick. If you do that, will me your Jeep before doing that. :D

Actually, the west side is unequivocally the most dangerous (Austin and Garfield) followed by the south side (englewood) as the most dangerous areas of Chiraq. This site undoubtedly has the most comprehensive stats available https://heyjackass.com.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:

Sad but true and no Jeep for you.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:45 am

When I was driving truck, I was coming out by detroit to chicago. A drop was on north side of chicago. Boss told me to go around and NOT to drive up Cicero ave. It was day time and figured what could be so bad during the day so got off 294 to cicero and drove north to my drop. Seemed good until I came up to what looked like a combat zone. Wow, bad idea. Each stop sign had skanks, druggies, ect crawling on my truck banging on my door. Was glad to get north to my stop, and then get the hell out of there. Could not imagine trying that at night. Made the mistake stopping in Hammond to get gas with family on way to east coast on a family trip. Everything barred up, gas station attendant behind about 6 inches of bullet proof glass. Kids and wife got out to stretch legs, gas attendant yells for everyone to get back in vehicle and lock doors while I fill up. Pretty sad these places get this bad.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:55 am

Had an internship in Chicago and drove through Cicero once while exploring. Wasn’t as bad as you describe but I definitely didn’t fit in with the crowd. I also saw people driving around with their doors open on their cars, seemed odd.

Walked around a few nights downtown and one night ended up underneath the main street level for a while where I saw people sleeping. One guy said he wouldn’t hurt us and then mentioned blowing us away, lovely joke.
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:

I thought the east side of Chicago was Lake Michigan
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:53 pm

So US bad, Mexico where drug cartels are murdering hundreds, ok?
Holland&Holland

Postby linksep on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 am

Screen-Shot-2016-04-05-at-Tuesday-April-5-1.05-AM.png

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/compa ... nd-europe/

So obviously they have condemned France for having a mass public shooting death rate FOUR TIMES HIGHER THAN THE US.

Right?
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Next

Return to In The News