Remington rifle settlement, including free trigger

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Remington rifle settlement, including free trigger

Postby minnesotatv on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:12 am

Remington rifle settlement, including free trigger replacement, is official

A landmark class action settlement involving some of Remington's most popular
firearms has officially gone into effect, after critics of the agreement declined
to take their case to the Supreme Court by a Tuesday deadline, according to an
attorney for the plaintiffs.

That means that millions of owners of the iconic Model 700 rifle — and a dozen
Remington models with similar designs — have 18 months to file claims for a
free replacement of their guns' allegedly defective triggers. The guns have been
linked in lawsuits to dozens of accidental deaths and hundreds of serious injuries,
though Remington still maintains they are safe.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/24/remingt ... icial.html
minnesotatv

Re: Remington rifle settlement, including free trigger

Postby Ghost on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:39 am

Who all's replacing their trigger?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:26 am

Already upgraded to timineys in all my 700s

Had an ad on the bench at the range. Obviously it was pointed down range at the berm and line was hot so the only damage was the waste of one cartridge. To this day I am not entirely certain if it was this issue or if the trigger was bumped as I was adjusting hold and sandbags but had just taken it off safe and went off at what seemed to me to be slight movement. I swear my finger was out of the trigger guard but after it happens you start double guessing your actions.

Anyway it was enough of a wake up call for me to change out the triggers. Love the timineys anyway.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:16 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Already upgraded to timineys in all my 700s

Had an ad on the bench at the range. Obviously it was pointed down range at the berm and line was hot so the only damage was the waste of one cartridge. To this day I am not entirely certain if it was this issue or if the trigger was bumped as I was adjusting hold and sandbags but had just taken it off safe and went off at what seemed to me to be slight movement. I swear my finger was out of the trigger guard but after it happens you start double guessing your actions.

Anyway it was enough of a wake up call for me to change out the triggers. Love the timineys anyway.

Still have the ones you took out? maybe you should have them replaced anyway?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:52 am

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Already upgraded to timineys in all my 700s

Still have the ones you took out? maybe you should have them replaced anyway?

I do. Not sure what I would do with the replacements but could send them in. Don't really want them touching my rifles as I have them set where I want them with the Timinies
Holland&Holland

Postby BigBlue on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:19 pm

It looks like the only authorized Remington repair facility in MN is Ahlman's in Morristown. Not exactly a short drive for me from central MN and I'm guessing it would not be repaired while you wait so that means two trips. However, I'm not exactly in love with the idea of sending my rifle off via shipper either. What are other folks doing?

Anyone know if you choose the prepaid shipping method if they will require you to remove all accessories, such as scope and rings) before sending it in?

Thanks,
BB
BigBlue

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 pm

I'd call Ahlman's and see what they say about turn around. Still a drive, but i, personally don't like the idea of mailing a rifle. I guess it depends on how far you are traveling.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby westhope on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:07 pm

I also replaced the stock trigger on my 700 with a Timiney. There was so much Loctite on the adjustment screws on the stock trigger they stripped out (I even tried heat on the screws), so I replaced the whole trigger with a Timiney.

The S/N on my rifle was subject to the recall. The turnaround time was stated as 6 weeks when I inquired about my rifle. Word was it was taking much longer.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby BigBlue on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:53 am

yukonjasper wrote:I'd call Ahlman's and see what they say about turn around. Still a drive, but i, personally don't like the idea of mailing a rifle. I guess it depends on how far you are traveling.

I did that after my prior post. They aren't accepting rifles with Walker style triggers (aka pre-2006 700's) yet. The settlement was reached but the resolution has not been finalized yet and there are no parts or procedures yet. You can submit a recall request and "will be notified when we're ready to repair your rifle". The lady at Ahlman's said for the XMP triggers they did offer a 'bring it in and wait for it' situation so I will probably wait and do it that way once Rem gets their ducks in a row.
BigBlue

Return to In The News